Welcome to PatsFans.com

Welker, Hobbs, and Ruud off PUP [merged]

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by BelichickFan, Aug 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +437 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2008
  2. JMarr

JMarr Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Re: Welker About to Return, maybe today

Have the Patriots or anyone else with an inside scoop talked about the specifics of a Welker injury until now? I know we'll find out more details sooner or later, but [especially w/o Stallworth and with an underwhelming CJ as one of the current top 4] I'm worried about having a "less than 100%" or injured Welker this season.
  3. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +437 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Looks like it must have been precautionary as he's about to return. If he needed it I am sure they'd have PUPed him to start the regular season but that looks like it's not going to happen. Welker is awesome but as long as we have a healthy, happy Moss we'll have a good WR group.
  4. Sicilian

Sicilian On the Roster

Ratings:
    +392 / 1 / -2

I'm hoping this is just a precautionary thing. I mean, do you guys remember him being hobbled at all in the Super Bowl? If not then, when did he get hurt enough to miss camp? I'll bet this is some kind of tweak that they wanted to get 100% before letting him get hit. Also gives more opportunity for CJ and others to show what they can do (or what they can't do).
  5. JMarr

JMarr Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I wish that were the case. I would say that if a certain unnamed 6-6 receiver that routinely makes one-handed grabs were to get hurt, we'd be screwed. But if Welker is dinged up this year, I really don't like the thought of CJ or anyone else we have to be TB's #2 or 3 downfield option. I don't have a good feeling about Jackson and hope I'm proven wrong.
  6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +437 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

It looks like Moss and Welker will be fine heading into opening day so I think you're worrying about nothing.
  7. Metaphors

Metaphors Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I think Gaffney can step into that role. He doesn't have the same quickness or hands in traffic, but Gaffney has the same feel for getting open inside and has Brady's confidence. Gaffney's flexibility to fill in all along the line is a real benefit. Not just depth, but quality depth.
  8. Sicilian

Sicilian On the Roster

Ratings:
    +392 / 1 / -2

What about Dave Thomas? If need be, could we throw him in the slot? I mean, I would imagine a slot receiver would run very similar passing routes to a TE, just with different/less blocking responsibilites.
  9. hernandeztribe

hernandeztribe Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I understand the concern, but didn't TB do well with unknown receivers in 2006. I mean Reche Caldwell was the No. 1 option at receiver. I think BB knows how to use the PUP to get his players extra rest. Remember, Welker caught 112 passes last year and he runs every route full speed. He was also a key component when we ran the ball in blocking. Almost every year NE plays about 21-23 games a year (preseason, reg. season, playoffs). I think we are going to be surprised with our defense this year. We are going to run more, pounds the ball in, and keep our defense off the field as much as possible. Looking to week one, prepare for the Chiefs.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  10. psychoPat

psychoPat Role Player PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I've been thinking the same ...
    but just recently began to wonder
    when it would be time to start to worry.

Ditto, for Jarvis and Ellis III.

Welkome back, Welker!
    Take it easy for awhile, eh?
    Leave something for both CJs to do (Chad and Jones).
  11. Canada's #1 Pats Fan

Canada's #1 Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I seem to remember last year a record setting WR was held out of camp for most, if not all of August because of a hamstring injury. Welker does not necessarily need the 'reps', he is a lock to make the team. A well rested and healthy Welker is needed long into the playoffs.
  12. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +418 / 5 / -5

Just echoing the previous poster . . . is there any doubt now as to why Welker was the team's #1 priority--yes, ahead of Adalius Thomas--last offseason?

I have no problem if Moss and Welker don't see the field at all this preseason, so long as they're well-rested and ready to wreak havoc on the Chiefs come Week 1. :)
  13. JMarr

JMarr Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

The Pats' secrecy about injuries is a good thing, just frustrating at times (must suck to have to cover the team in that regard). I'm all for holding out our second most valuable player last season until the playoffs if necessary and putting Gaffney in the slot. Then we'd really get to see what Chad Jackson is made of. Also wouldn't mind seeing teams have to fear both Moss and CJ 40 yards downfield at the same time--that'd be a hoot!
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  14. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,321 / 15 / -11

Disable Jersey

Absolutely not, a slot receiver is tasked with running quick slants and inside routes using his speed to gain seperation from the slower defender. A Welker type guy with quicker moves than even elite NFL LBs or nickle backs. A guy like Thomas does not fit that description. Of course, that is not to say that in an occasional situation when Josh thinks he has a mismatch between personnel he might well put anyone anywhere including Thomas in the slot for a play or so until the D adjusted.
  15. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,321 / 15 / -11

Disable Jersey

Your thinking matches BB's. Belichick has been working Gaffney out at ALL of the receiver positions except TE. Both The Gaffer and Chad HOF Jackson have worked out at the flanker position as Welker backups. To this layperson's eye who was at camp, both guys have done a decent job geting open from that position and catching passes from Brady et. al. From watching post play discussions, it seems like Gaffney gets less constructive criticism than Chad from the coaches & QB, not that guys are on Chad's case, they aren't. This slight difference is normal and to be expected. Experience counts.

The point is that TODAY Welker is healthy enough to take the field. Any player's situation can change markedly even in non-contact. I had my worst injuries non-contact.
  16. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Hmmm. I remember an influx of new Patriots fans after the 2001 season. Apparently there are also folks who became fans during the 18-0 run.

For some past history: the Pats have won superbowls without Moss but did not win one with him.

In 2001 we only had one decent receiver, and after a couple games he was inactivated. Brown and Patten stepped up.

If Moss or Welker can't play, whoever is next will have to step up.
  17. Raffy15

Raffy15 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Moss is 6'4 you goofball!
  18. BPF

BPF Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Welker, Hobbs, and Ruud off PUP

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/08/welker_hobbs_ru.html

19. miDeuce

miDeuce Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

#50 Jersey

Re: Welker & Hobbs off PUP

After this week's rumors this is very good news about Welker.
  20. fgssand

fgssand PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -1

#17 Jersey

Re: Welker & Hobbs off PUP

That only leaves Neal, Green, Wright & Vrabel - the missing final pieces.

And of course, how are Thomas, Light and other walking wounded doing?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.