PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker for a 2nd and 7th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's not forget that Welker isn't being paid as just a WR. He'll most likely be handling all of the return duties, too.

I already told you the reason in the last thread. It allows us to give Welker a more cap friendly contract.

The 219th pick is worth a more cap friendly contract IMHO. We didn't do it for charity, that's for sure.

The 219th pick is worth a more cap friendly contract IMHO. We didn't do it for charity, that's for sure.

....and for the Pats to do that means that they still have something in mind that would require the extra cap space. We aren't done yet folks

No charity? Where's our hearts? **sigh**

Well, Welker aboard anyway! :woohoo:

Last edited:
Oswlek is right on target, as usual.

We're going to have what--12 draft choices? So now we'll have 11. Three or four won't make the team.

Welker a proven commodity. That can't be said about any of our draft choices, including the two number 1s.

At any rate, this is a guy I really want on our team. He is a Football Player, in the best sense of that word.

What a wonderful free agency it has been--Thomas, Welker, Morris, Brady. Even without Graham, we are a significantly stronger team than we were last year.

Too bad for Welker, so close to the big payday.
they will sign him to a long term deal trust me he wnt walk next year

Well, Welker aboard anyway! :woohoo:

Wes will be a fan favorite for a long time. He's really good at finding the holes in the zone and moving the chains. Definitely worth it.

I like the move. Welker is the best WR on the team right now and a guy that can easily be a Deion Branch type. (The Pats got a 1st for him) The WR's are better today and there is still a chance to add more.

Last edited:
I'm okay with the 2nd and 7th actually. But he doesn't deserve $4 million a year, no way.

So we gave up approximately #219? Well after the remaining compensation picks, we just go sign the guy we would have gotten at #219 as a UDFA anyway. Realistically we lost nothing.

Odds are our seventh round pick won't make it on the final 53 man roster. We probably lost a practice squad player at best.

It's the 28th pick of the 7th and final round of the draft. Any player available then will be available four picks later to sign as rookie free agent. It's a totally worthless pick.

This trade was done for one reason: The NFL called the Pats and the Dolphins and said to figure out something other an a poison pill offer sheet. I expect the union to file collusion charges.

they will sign him to a long term deal trust me he wnt walk next year

Right, but if he was getting the original numbers we were hearing before the trade happened, he probably would've ended up with more guaranteed money. Oh well, it looks like he'll still be getting a good amount, I'm sure he's happy.

That 7th round draft choice is basically the U.S. Warheads in Turkey taken down after the Cuba Missile Crisis.

The face-saving charitable donation to the losing side (Kruschev/Dolphins) :)

Oswlek is right on target, as usual.

We're going to have what--12 draft choices? So now we'll have 11. Three or four won't make the team.

Welker a proven commodity. That can't be said about any of our draft choices, including the two number 1s.

At any rate, this is a guy I really want on our team. He is a Football Player, in the best sense of that word.

What a wonderful free agency it has been--Thomas, Welker, Morris, Brady. Even without Graham, we are a significantly stronger team than we were last year.

this is dead on. think about all the 3rd downs conversions he would have generated against the colts in the afc championship. he is gutsy and doesn't mind going over the middle. he had a great year last year with a couple of grandpa's throwing to him. so we spend a seventh that won't even make the team anyone. i think it was a great deal and we will save a ton of cap space instead of the 7/38 contract.

We'll need to see what the structure of the contract is.

I would guess that it can't be 4 million a year. That would just be an insane amount of money to pay for slot WR and returnman - even one with the intagibles that Welker brings.

It would make sense for it to be the 1.3 million this year followed by 3.9 million a year for say the next 3 which really would mean 4/13.

This is a great deal for a proven veteran player with youth on his side. Given the salary escalations during this FA period, structuring a contract for a RFA in a way that discourages his tendering team from matching is a slippery slope. It often inflates the salary and becomes a cap burden. This is the best outcome overall with a 2nd and 7th rounder being a small price to pay for a player who will have an immediate impact. Brady will love this guy.

Pats fans will be thrilled with this guy once they see him in action. He's a class act and a hungry athlete. Don't forget for a minute that the Pats know all there is to know about Welker through the Saban connection. This team is being re-tooled in a very short time frame this year, and has just upgraded the offense, defense, STs, and gotten quality players with years to go on contracts. Ah, this is a great time to be a New England fan.

The only question I have is with regard to the length of the deal. It certainly *is* a bad deal if he is only here for one year.

Hopefully news will come out that they extended his contract.

I like the deal....giving up a 7th rounder to get the deal done. If we sign him to an offer sheet the fins would try and move him somewhere else to hurt the pats. A proven player who fits well in the system:rocker: The big show is reporting that they already have a contract worked out with welker (who is in foxboro) ...or will have before he leaves!

Last edited:
Great move. At least we know Welker wont be as expensive.

We'll need to see what the structure of the contract is.

I would guess that it can't be 4 million a year. That would just be an insane amount of money to pay for slot WR and returnman - even one with the intagibles that Welker brings.

It would make sense for it to be the 1.3 million this year followed by 3.9 million a year for say the next 3 which really would mean 4/13.

i think they might have done this to save money also

now they dont have to worry about miami matching w/o using the poision pill so they can now give him a realistic non backloaded contract. maybe around 3 mill a year? :rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back