PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker for a 2nd and 7th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We might get the 7th back if Banta-Cain ever signs with someone...

I would hope this has to mean the Pats have a deal worked out with Welker he's ready to sign, not that we are just trading for his rights.
I'm sure we've got a deal worked out with Welker...after all he visited Foxborro today. What were they talking about, if not the terms of a deal under the trade?

Here's the breakdown...from Peter King and it is a done deal.

There is no way the Pats were gonna pay Wes 6 mill a year, no matter what was being reproted. The Pats asked the fins to sign Wes to 1.3 Mil contract, then trade him. Wes will get somehwere near 3.9 a year and in return for signing him to the 1.3 tender amount the Pats will trade their 2nd and 7th in the process.
Well he isn't a $4M player either.

This is a bad deal. B A D. Bad. I'll just hope we get what we can out of Welker but a #2 and $4M a year for him SUCKS.

If true that pisses me off, there is NO reason to pay more than the RFA #2. None whatsoever.
a 7 round pick is nothing the pats get their man end of story ,good job we dont have to wait a week that in itself is worth the 7TH

While I obviously would have preferred to give up less than a #2 consider also length of contract. How many years are we signing Welker for? We already lost one productive year of Chad Jackson, no matter how good he eventually becomes. Welker will help from the get go.

I was against a second for Welker, but if they were going to give up a second for Welker anyway, throwing in a seventh was a brilliant move. Now they can give him a more cap friendly contract. I applaud the trade. I would rather give up a seventh than give Welker a funky contract just to avoid the Dolphins matching.

Reiss just confirmed that they made the trade.

reiss said:
Pats acquire Welker
The Patriots acquired receiver Wes Welker from the Miami Dolphins today for undisclosed draft choices.

Sports Illustrated's Peter King reports that the Patriots will give up second- and seventh-round picks.

Here's the breakdown...from Peter King and it is a done deal.

There is no way the Pats were gonna pay Wes 6 mill a year, no matter what was being reproted. The Pats asked the fins to sign Wes to 1.3 Mil contract, then trade him. Wes will get somehwere near 3.9 a year and in return for signing him to the 1.3 tender amount the Pats will trade their 2nd and 7th in the process.

OK, so I guess Welker does not make out so cheap after all.

Well they really had their heart set on him.

I don't see the problem with this. Hell the extra 7th is worth it just to avoid a week of waiting before we find out if the Fins match or not.

This is a done deal? Or just King speculating?

Done deal, from Reiss.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

March 05, 2007
Pats acquire Welker
The Patriots acquired receiver Wes Welker from the Miami Dolphins today for undisclosed draft choices.

Sports Illustrated's Peter King reports that the Patriots will give up second- and seventh-round picks.

Welker, who enters his fourth NFL season, was a restricted free agent. The Dolphins had tendered him a one-year, $1.3 million offer and any team that attempted to sign him to an offer sheet would have had to surrender a second-round draft choice.

Welker, who is coming off a career-high 67-catch season, visited with Patriots officials at Gillette Stadium today.

Welker joins a receiving corps that includes Reche Caldwell, Jabar Gaffney, Chad Jackson, Kelvin Kight and Bam Childress. Veteran Troy Brown could also return, although he previously said he is taking a wait and see approach to free agency.

I was against a second for Welker, but if they were going to give up a second for Welker anyway, throwing in a seventh was a brilliant move. Now they can give him a more cap friendly contract. I applaud the trade. I would rather give up a seventh than give Welker a funky contract just to avoid the Dolphins matching.
It damn well better be cheap - and I don't mean $4M.

Ah well, we f*cked up. Better luck next time.

The added 7th is no biggie but $4MM per for Walker is highly questionable IMHO. It's not like we got Randy Moss in the trade :D

Well he isn't a $4M player either.

This is a bad deal. B A D. Bad. I'll just hope we get what we can out of Welker but a #2 and $4M a year for him SUCKS.
hell be as good as branch and much cheaper good deal hes great on special teams to

Interesting...

Why do people get so upset about losing a 7th rounder?

I understand that a 7th can turn into Givens or Cassel, but more often than not they don't even get past the initial camp.

Not only that, but NE will likely have two extra 6th's from comp picks, and extra 7th from comps and Arizon'a 6th. If you really wanted a CD, and were willing to pay 10 dollars for it, would you really get upset if they were asking for $10.30?

Last edited:
If true that pisses me off, there is NO reason to pay more than the RFA #2. None whatsoever.

I already told you the reason in the last thread. It allows us to give Welker a more cap friendly contract.

It damn well better be cheap - and I don't mean $4M.

Ah well, we f*cked up. Better luck next time.

BB fan, you're not used to the new prices with the salary cap. :D And the 7th round is the 219 pick of the NFL draft. 28th selection of the 7th round. We got a plethora of lower picks after the comp. picks -- can't all make the team anyways.

I like Wes.

Right, the only way it makes sense to give up more than a #2 would be if we offered him a dirt cheap contract that Miami could easily match. Any kind of big money ($2M or more) deal in which we give us more than a #2 is flat out stupid. Not that a #7 would kill us but it would still be stupid.

You hit the nail on the head, BF. The only reason for the Pats to do this is to be able to lower the high original poison pill offer, for a more realistic contract to Welker. Smart.

Why do people get so upset about losing a 7th rounder?

I understand that a 7th can turn into Givens or Cassel, but more often than not they don't even get past the initial camp.

Not only that, but NE will likely have two extra 6th's from comp picks, and extra 7th from comps and Arizon'a 6th. If you really wanted a CD, and were willing to pay 10 dollars for it, would you really get upset if they were asking for $10.30?

I agree. Odds are our seventh round pick won't make it on the final 53 man roster. We probably lost a practice squad player at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back