Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
5 years
$18.1 million
$10.75 million guaranteed

Source: NFL Network Total Access (didn't say this was a rumor or anything, just reported as fact)

Last edited:
So much for those 38 million talks.

5 years
$18.1 million

Source: NFL Network total access (didn't say this was a rumoror anything, just reported as fact)

that is a great deal.

not alot of money tied up in caldwell, gaffney, jackson, and welker

just need one more wr.

More than I'd have paid but for a guy who'll be 25-30 in the range of the contract it's not too bad.

That's a bit easier to digest than $37.5. I think this will work out well for us.

So much for those 38 million talks.

actually the rumors on the 38 mil deal was that it really broke down to a 5 year 18 mil and then years 6and 7 were 20 mil so this seems the same minus the poisin pill

Very good deal IMO. Didn't Kevin Faulk get a deal similar to that several years ago?

If it's backloaded it might end up being something like 4 years for $12M --- $3M a year for a young guy who has contributed in many ways is not too bad. Remember we all have to readjust our price scale to the new cap reality. The average salary is now well over $2M.

More than I'd have paid but for a guy who'll be 25-30 in the range of the contract it's not too bad.

Its not bad. Plus, we signed for 5 years, whereas a 2nd rounder can only be signed for 4 years. Plus, we don't have to wait 1 to 2 years for him to develop.

5 years
$18.1 million

Source: NFL Network Total Access (didn't say this was a rumor or anything, just reported as fact)

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

What would you have paid?

Consider two things:

(A) Welker's production last season

(B) The CURRENT market value of that production. Not the market value in 2002. Not 2004. Not even 2006.

5 years
$18.1 million

Ahhhh, as another has already said. Same deal, no pill, no dead money.

So his cap hit, figuring 10 mill is bonus, .75 salary this year, is under 3 mill this year. The details will show the true structure and hit, but thats a safe assumption for now. Thats what I figured. Cap hit around 3 mil a year, with the 5th a little higher.

If it follows the recent trends for Pats contracts, it's probably a split bonus. Perhaps $6 million signing bonus and another $4.75 million next year.

Who knows? Just guessing out loud.

I like it, and IMO, it makes more sense than the contract we would have had to give him if we didn't trade for him.

Shefter is reporting Bob Kraft put a hold on the poison pill and went one on one with Wayne H. owner to owner to settle this before it could turn crappy. That is why the seventh was tossed in.

Now Solman can restart his ranting.

Shefter is reporting Bob Kraft put a hold on the poison pill and went one on one with Wayne H. owner to owner to settle this before it could turn crappy. That is why the seventh was tossed in.

You don't want to make enemies in this league. You don't know who could end up havinf the opportunity to screw you over when you are in a vulnerable situation.

You don't want to make enemies in this league. You don't know who could end up havinf the opportunity to screw you over when you are in a vulnerable situation.

Dog eat dog league. they didnt do this to avoid pissing off the dolphins.

At first I didn't like this, but, perhaps it is sound business in the long-term. If nothing else anybody that wants Blue Gay would look like a real low-life if they used the poison pill. I imagine a lot of owners wouldn't be willing to go down that road. Hell, this could end poison pills all together if none of the other owners is willing to openly declare "I'm scum in comparison to Bob Kraft!".

Dog eat dog league. they didnt do this to avoid pissing off the dolphins.
No, but they did do it so as to not get mired down in a border skirmish while the rest of the war was fought around them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes