PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker deal almost done? 3/05 report per CSNNE, to sign by 3/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've spent the last 13 months reading about how a Welker deal is "almost done." I'll believe it when it's done for real. I have a feeling he 's gone. Hope I 'm wrong.

I hear you there.

One thing to keep in mind is that the majority of us were feeling pretty certain a week or two ago that he was definitely gone. Then Brady did his extension and more money was freed up. Once that happened there was a huge amount of optimism and the entire feeling of the forum turned in a complete opposite direction again.

This whole situation has been weird from day one. We'll know soon enough one way or another.

I hear you there.

One thing to keep in mind is that the majority of us were feeling pretty certain a week or two ago that he was definitely gone. Then Brady did his extension and more money was freed up. Once that happened there was a huge amount of optimism and the entire feeling of the forum turned in a complete opposite direction again.

This whole situation has been weird from day one. We'll know soon enough one way or another.

I thought he was gone..but multiple sources saying it's almost done and great progress made changed my mind :)

I'd like this deal to get done ASAP so the Patriots can turn their attention to the other pressing needs.

Yeah, he should be okay ;)

I'll take 1 of that 40 million and be "set for life."

I'll take 1/10th of your 1 of the 40 million and be "set for life". ;)

I'd like this deal to get done ASAP so the Patriots can turn their attention to the other pressing needs.

Right. I'm a bit surprised that no one else has come to terms yet, especially with a list of key role players that we have including Arrington, Woodhead, Edelman, Thomas, etc.

That isn't even taking the other 2 of the 'big 3' into account in Talib and Vollmer, although my worry there is that they are both gone due to the front office not choosing to match their open market value.

Either way we need to get on it here, and quickly.

lol Florio and why can't pats have both? I think this whole slot receiver thing is overblown. Doesn't Welker end up playing outside quite a bit from time to time?

We'd have the munchkin WR group of the National Football League. Draft Tavon Austin and it'd be complete.

I'll take 1/10th of your 1 of the 40 million and be "set for life". ;)

And I'll take 1/10th of your 1/10th of his 1. And I will pay off my car and buy Bruins season tickets. :)

I'll take two friggin' bucks for an iced coffee....cripes...WTF are they all waiting for???...is this another LeBron extravaganza or what?...yes or friggin' no...are you gonna sign or not...enough of this waiting crap

you can't blame welker..he wants his $$ as would anyone that produced like that. Could be his last contract...

you can't blame welker..he wants his $$ as would anyone that produced like that. Could be his last contract...

I agree! Stop trying to low ball Welker and get a deal done here! Heck, the dude out played his original contract, didn't hold out wanting a new one, not even mentioning a new contract which is rare this day and age with players who put up that type of production. The Patriots should have at least redone his original deal a couple years into it. Total lack of respect by the organization, imo.

Hey, those days of players wanting to take a paycut to play for the Patriots are over. Win a couple SB's and maybe that will change. In the meantime, pay the players who make this team better and put the ego aside. The koolaid isn't as tasty these days, time to try something new.

Yeah, he should be okay ;)

I'll take 1 of that 40 million and be "set for life."

Where do you live? In America you can hardly raise a family in any level of comfort of standard of living for less than $100,000 a year. Unless 'life' last 10 years, I don't think 1 mill would make you 'set for life'.
Someone making just 40,000 a year makes over a million before they are 50 and likely have next to nothing left of it.

Where do you live? In America you can hardly raise a family in any level of comfort of standard of living for less than $100,000 a year. Unless 'life' last 10 years, I don't think 1 mill would make you 'set for life'.
Someone making just 40,000 a year makes over a million before they are 50 and likely have next to nothing left of it.

"set for life" He wasn't being serious.....:bricks:

Well maybe he meant getting that million and still working. I don't think he said take that million and do nothing the rest of his life. Heck, give me that million, I will invest it and be set for life.

Raise a family in any level of comfort for less than $100,000 a year!?!?!?

You must live in one of those places where a 1,200 sq ft house costs $600,000 because down here in Tampa 100k a year goes a long damn way if you're not an idiot with money or a compulsive shopper.

My brother and I were raised in a family that made around 75k a year and we lived very well and with very little debt (under 15k). Insurance, big houses, boat, cars for all of us, college funds, nice vacations.

I will assume that you're joking right? I won't even touch the "six figure" comment too much because there are plenty of people out there doing okay making less than 100,000 a year who have nice cars, houses, go on vacation etc. My wife is a physician and she barely clears 100,000 a year after taxes. You are making a lot of assumptions with that comment, including number of children etc.

If you couldn't figure out how to make 1 million dollars work for you in basic no risk investments, without even touching the prinicipal until the last 20 yrs of your life (I'm 38 now so 14 more years for me until I reach the age of 52, assuming the average life expentancy is 72 yrs old) then I would suggest a financial advisor.

The interest that you could accumulate without touching the principal would go an awful long way towards a very early retirement, along with paying off your home etc. Your credit would rise along with all limits, you'd be collecting some nice interest, and you could pay off any outstanding debts, cars, homes, etc if that's what you chose to do.

That isn't even taking into acct any of the assets that you'd already have such as money in the bank, investments, 401k's, life insurance policies, equity in your home, potential inheritances from parents, any kind of salary, and social security.

I would certainly consider that being "set for life," yes. I'd probably retire at the age of 50 and live a nice prosperous remainder of my days. In the meantime I'd add a nice chunk of money through the interest to my yearly allotment.

These NFL players should be ashamed of themselves for the "feeding my family" comments. Most people will never make a couple/few million dollars in their lifetimes--at least a very high majority. If you are an NFL player and you make several million dollars in your career you should be set up just fine for the rest of your life--yes. That isn't even bringing up the players who make several million dollars in a single year. Welker made 10 million dollars last year. He will not have to worry for the rest of his life, and if he does then shame on him for being a dumba55. It isn't about the money. It's about greed and wanting more and more to have more material possessions. I am 100% positive that Welker could walk away right now and he'd be totally fine forever. In the same vein I am not knocking him for trying to get a fair deal, but let's not act like he "needs" it either. Wes Welker will honestly never need anything as long as he's alive. He's made 15-20 million dollars since he's been in the NFL, maybe closer to 20-25.

Raise a family in any level of comfort for less than $100,000 a year!?!?!?

You must live in one of those places where a 1,200 sq ft house costs $600,000 because down here in Tampa 100k a year goes a long damn way if you're not an idiot with money or a compulsive shopper.

My brother and I were raised in a family that made around 75k a year and we lived very well and with very little debt (under 15k). Insurance, big houses, boat, cars for all of us, college funds, nice vacations.

Just to keep with what you're saying: (according to census.gov)

Only 1/6 Americans have a Bachelor's degree

Only 1/15 Americans have a Master's degree

Most average US families do not make a six-figure salary, no.

The average median family salary in the USA was approx. 1/2 of that last year, at 50,502 in 2012.

In this thread, I learned that apparently I'm poor.

In this thread, I learned that apparently I'm poor.

Your insight and knowledge is rich, Sciz. That's all that really matters. :rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back