PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker could go/"Overrated"? Threads merged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Helmet

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Don't be surprised if we part ways. We aren't gonna pay him what he is capable of getting in the current marketplace and with every big dollar signing that goes by the boards he is watching his pay day slip away. Somethings gotta give, and it probably won't be the Patriots. Gonzales and Amendola aren't coming in here to be vertical threats.

re: Welker could go/"Overrated"? Threads merged

Don't be surprised if we part ways. We aren't gonna pay him what he is capable of getting in the current marketplace and with every big dollar signing that goes by the boards he is watching his pay day slip away. Somethings gotta give, and it probably won't be the Patriots. Gonzales and Amendola aren't coming in here to be vertical threats.
I have had that horrible thought since Tuesday.

I hope to god I am wrong.

It's looking that way.

I can see both sides of it though. Welker is a great receiver, but he's clearly part of the system. I'm not saying he'd be a nobody, but not many teams/QBs could get Wes 100+ catches a season.

It's unfortunate that he may have outplayed his role with the organization.

Sure he'll walk as soon as someone gives us 2 first round picks for him!!

Have we signed either of these guys yet? Let's not panic over something that hasn't even happened.

If he goes I would hate to see him end catching passes from either Manning.

First, Amedola was in Boston to attend a family funeral.

Second, Anthony Gonzalez if signed, will be a veteran minimum guy who isn't guaranteed to the final 53 man roster. He is a guy the Pats might take a chance on to bring to camp to see if he has anything left, but not assured of a roster spot.

First, Amedola was in Boston to attend a family funeral.

Second, Anthony Gonzalez if signed, will be a veteran minimum guy who isn't guaranteed to the final 53 man roster. He is a guy the Pats might take a chance on to bring to camp to see if he has anything left, but not assured of a roster spot.

If we sign either of them the guy who needs to worry about his job is Edleman...

Can someone move this to the PS?

It's looking that way.

I can see both sides of it though. Welker is a great receiver, but he's clearly part of the system. I'm not saying he'd be a nobody, but not many teams/QBs could get Wes 100+ catches a season.

It's unfortunate that he may have outplayed his role with the organization.

His knee injury really put him in contractual purgatory. He was primed for a 4yr sweetheart of a deal. Negotiations might have gotten contentious but they would have signed him.

I think the Pats are bringing these guys in to look at as replacements for Branch (not outside the hash guys per se but good YAC guys who run good routes) but additional depth at WR in general. I'm sure they know WW is an elite player and these scrap-heap guys cannot hold a candle to WW as I dont think is a negotiating ploy. They think too much of Wes to pull this stuff. However, they need to be proactive just in case things sour quickly and WW is posturing by potentially sitting out the various off-season activities and potentially the season. Plus the Pats always bring in vets, sign 'em and dump em if a rook shows the goods in TC.

At his age and $9.4m waiting for him, he'd be foolish to sit out any extended length of time but pro athletes are a prideful, stubborn bunch so you never know. WW is already on record as saying hes made more money in his life than hes ever dreamed of. He strikes me as a man of principals too. I really don't know how this will play out.

With that said, after seeing the market explode for WWs, the Pats must be thinking how they can sign WW to a reasonable contract close to what the player is looking for without insulting him. It appears that the 2yr/$16m guaranteed was a lowball but I don't think the Pats tried to insult him.

Last edited:

If we sign either of them the guy who needs to worry about his job is Edleman...

Can someone move this to the PS?

Please wait for the sky to fall first. Its entertaining and aggravating at the same time.

This post makes no sense. First of all neither of those players has been brought in, and second the OP is saying that we can't afford to pay him because his market is drying up with every signing.

Welker is tagged and going nowhere for a while, and while the deal will be difficult to make because of his actual, (not Madden) value, it will get don e in the end because he doesn't want to leave and the Patriots don't want to lose him, otherwise they wouldn't have given him almost 10 million dollars for the season.

The fact that some Patriot fans are actually claiming that Deshean Jackson is a better player than Welker shows just how warped this discussion has become. Reality doesn't matter, only fantasy. The people making the claim clearly never watched the actual game between the Eagles and Patriots last season, but no doubt were beaten repeatedly by the Deshean Jackson led Eagles in Maddenworld. While Jackson was disgracing himself in REAL football Welker was showing everyone he is one of the top receivers in football, the people claiming he is expendable are fools, period, and the reality of the NFL has shown that over and over.

Re: Welker # 1 overrated player!

I sent out an email to the author asking if i could get my hands on whatever he's smoking!!

Top 10 most overrated NFL players

I like it when people act like Wes has played his entire career with Brady, instead of being maddeningly productive on a Miami team with no weapons to speak of.

Gonzo is interesting in 3 yrs if you take Wes production and divide by 100 we get Gonza.

35 Catches over 3 yrs and constantly injured.

Amadelo is white /short and ofcourse he can replace Wes.

Last year brady when asked about Mankins hold out / franchise tag ignored and said its Wes time to get paid.

maybe this is time to trade his old az for a few picks and wes with him.:p.

Some people have slot receiver bias as if a slot receiver isn't a real receiver. I don't think Welker is top 3 in WRs, but he is definitely top 5-10 range.

if he leaves, at least trade him to the Bears for 19.

Some people have slot receiver bias as if a slot receiver isn't a real receiver. I don't think Welker is top 3 in WRs, but he is definitely top 5-10 range.

Reality is the Guy is underrated. No one will give him the true credit he deserves for the numbers he puts up because A he is a slot receiver and B he has Tom throwing to him.

He puts up numbers that are as good as any in the game right now how is that overrated?

if he leaves, at least trade him to the Bears for 19.

Rather have Johnny Knox. I'll pass on 19. Headache and a headcase.

Looks like it could be a done deal, TimmyLovesHisCat@ Timscat says the Rams will trade all their picks and Danny Amendola for Welker and the rights to Mike Wallace as long as the Patriots can get Sam Bradshaw a place on the Vineyard. The Patriots are then expected to ship Mankins and Solder to the Colts for the rights to recently released Anthony Gonzalez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down