PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker "could" get traded to us instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't have any leverage for the Dolphins to take less than a second. If the Dolphins are resigned to the fact they can't keep Welker, they can do nothing and take a second rounder or they can negotiate a trade and take less? Why in the world would the Dolphins take less than a second rounder for Welker?

Could it be Welker and another player for a 1st?? I hope not..

The Dolphins likely want one of the Patriots 1st round picks. IMO a trade would probably be something like this:

Dolphins Get: 1st round pick
Patriots Get: Wes Welker and a 4th round pick
Horrible idea. We can EASILY make a contract that the Dolphins wouldn't match.

If they're talking trade, it's the Patriots wanting to pay less, not the Dolphins wanting more.

They need O-line and some D-line help.

Watch O'Callahan, Kazur or Mike Wright if there is a true trade.

"That's crazy talk" We can give a 2nd round pick, why would we trade OC, Wright, or even Kazur. Everyone is a surer thing than a draft choice. And to think they trade a 1st round selection (Jackson) to save a 2nd round pick is just plain dumb.

I'm pretty confused by this.

Does it mean that the Patriots HAVEN'T signed Welker to an offer sheet?

What is the movitation here for either team to work out a trade? I can't imagine the Pats will give up a first round pick for Welker, and I can't see why the Dolphins would trade him for less than a 2nd.

This just doesn't add up.

What if it were a swap of positions in the draft, say our # 28 (which should land Miami a pretty good OLineman) for the Phins 2nd round pick (#40) which could give us any number of possibilities (Weedell, Gonzalez, Hunt, Bradley, Rice, Woodley). Another possibility is trading our Restricted Free Agent for theirs. Randall Gay has the same value as a RFA (2nd round pick). This would avoid all the rancor a poison pill would create.

I wonder if the league stepped in on this and tried to broker a deal?

sorry if this is the same as earlier posters

Last edited:
We don't have any leverage for the Dolphins to take less than a second. If the Dolphins are resigned to the fact they can't keep Welker, they can do nothing and take a second rounder or they can negotiate a trade and take less? Why in the world would the Dolphins take less than a second rounder for Welker?
Because likely no-one is offering a #2 by offering a RFA contract. So then it's up to the Patriots and Dolphins to negotiate a package that both sides are happy with but it would be less that a #2 or we'd go the RFA offer route.

I think you have it backwards.

We could offer a big contract which they wouldn't match and give up a #2. Done.

What's likely going on is the Patriots don't want to trade a #2. And probably no-one else does either. If someone else did the Dolphins would have no reason to trade him for less. More likely, if no-one wants to give up a #2 for him, including us, the Patriots want to negotiate a lower draft choice package that both teams are satisfied with.
Once again BFan is right. (I was about to post the same thing but he beat me to it.)

IF THEY ALREADY TALKED NUMBERS WITH WELKER THAN THET CANT SHORT CHANGE HIM BECAUSE HE HAS THE RIGHT NOT TO SIGN, SO THEY WOULD GIVE UP PICKS FR A 1 YEAR, MAKES NO SENSE BECAUSE

Of course they can redo the deal. They can restructure it so that he isn't getting it as much against the cap this year and guarantee more in the future. I may have misspoke about the guarantee money, but word was the Pats are frontloading the contract to make it impossible for the Dolphins to match. If they restructure it after a trade, then they have more cap room to do other things.

Again, the Dolphins are guaranteed a second round pick if they lose Welker. Why would they trade him for less to a division opponent?

If you won the lottery and you were going to get a million dollars after taxes in two months, would sell the rights to someone else for $500k to get the money now?

I think you have it backwards.

We could offer a big contract which they wouldn't match and give up a #2. Done.

What's likely going on is the Patriots don't want to trade a #2. And probably no-one else does either. If someone else did the Dolphins would have no reason to trade him for less. More likely, if no-one wants to give up a #2 for him, including us, the Patriots want to negotiate a lower draft choice package that both teams are satisfied with.

I agree. The only reason to initiate a trade is to give up less not more.

Maybe the Pats are offering a player and a lower pick in order to not give up the 2nd.

Reche Caldwell played for Cameron in San Diego and knows his offense.

What is the movitation here for either team to work out a trade? I can't imagine the Pats will give up a first round pick for Welker, and I can't see why the Dolphins would trade him for less than a 2nd.
It absolutely adds up. If no-one is offering a RFA contract to the Dolphins for Welker, they may well prefer a #3 or a #4 this year and next or whatever to keeping him.

Horrible idea. We can EASILY make a contract that the Dolphins wouldn't match.

If they're talking trade, it's the Patriots wanting to pay less, not the Dolphins wanting more.
WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD THE DOLPHINS TAKE LESS?

Maybe the Pats are offering a player and a lower pick in order to not give up the 2nd.

Reche Caldwell played for Cameron in San Diego and knows his offense.

We can't trade Caldwell or Gaffney. Who's behind them?

I don't see the incentive for a deal here.

Give them Marquis Hill and our 3rd rounder and call it a day.:p

Because likely no-one is offering a #2 by offering a RFA contract. So then it's up to the Patriots and Dolphins to negotiate a package that both sides are happy with but it would be less that a #2 or we'd go the RFA offer route.

So you are saying either the Dolphins need to take less than second round pick to get the deal done or they are going to have settle for a second round pick because the Pats are going to offer Welker a contract anyway?

I think you don't understand RFA tenders. The Dolphins gave Welker a second round tender. If we go the RFA offer route, we will give the Dolphins a second rounder. There is no option other than a trade. The Dolphins are GUARANTEED a second round pick if someone signs Welker away from them. Why settle for less?

If you sign a RFA then you already know the compensation. There isn't a question of what you want to pay, just what you have to pay. You add the poison pill to insure that they cannot sign the player you made the offer sheet to. I have never heard of a negotiation after an offer sheet has been signed. Does anyone have any previous examples of this happening?

It absolutely adds up. If no-one is offering a RFA contract to the Dolphins for Welker, they may well prefer a #3 or a #4 this year and next or whatever to keeping him.
HIS AGENT SAID THERE WAS PLENTY OF SUITORS PLUS YOUR 3 DAYS INTO FREE AGENCY, WORSE THING THE DOLPHINS KEEP WELKER FOR A YEAR, WHY WOULD THEY TRADE HIM FOR LESS, MAKES NO SENSE

HIS AGENT SAID THERE WAS PLENTY OF SUITORS PLUS YOUR 3 DAYS INTO FREE AGENCY, WORSE THING THE DOLPHINS KEEP WELKER FOR A YEAR, WHY WOULD THEY TRADE HIM FOR LESS, MAKES NO SENSE
And would you expect his agent to say there were no RFA offers ?

I'm pretty confused by this.

Does it mean that the Patriots HAVEN'T signed Welker to an offer sheet?

Great question. From all of Reiss' accounts - NO, they haven't. They are only in discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes