PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker bounty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't about officiating, that's done on the field. Goddell can hand out suspensions regardless of what happens on the field, and since he has plenty of time to review those hits, like the one Stomper dealt, there's no excuse.

Make those fines both painful and appropriate and the culture will change damn fast.

He knows this how? By what evidence? Oh wait, he doesnt need any. At that point the difference between what Goddell thinks and what he knows is immaterial. Long story short, he's concerned about cash and dirty play. Go after dutry plan and the cash is irrelevant.

While getting rid of Stomper is a credit to BB and the Patriots, what did the league do about it? Not a gooddamn thing, so I don't have any time for that sanctimonious windbag who wants to make a fuss by attacking something that isn't a problem as opposed to attacking something that is the problem.

It would help if you understood the process. And undertood that is is a process.

http://www.justfines.com/finesProcess.php

You don't change a culture by fining or even suspending individually for infractions. You change a culture by putting everyone involved on notice that it is no longer going to be tolerated and excuses like my coaches made me do it or peer pressure or the desire to elevate my profile and stand out or the dog ate my homework aren't going to fly anymore and they will lose more than pocket money or even a game check or two. They risk losing a place on the stage that is what really matters most to most of them. Bill has long held that if you really want to get a players attention you take away his stage. Goodell is doing just that by putting real teeth into what has always been a hollow threat.

And as to Vilma, he has never denied what he's charged with. What he has attempted to do is deny he really intended to do it... He's not suspended for paying bounties, but for simply offering to - whether he was lying to his teamates or not at the time because that's immaterial to the violation.

Last edited:
It would help if you understood the process. And undertood that is is a process.

National Football League Fines and Penalties

You don't change a culture by fining or even suspending individually for infractions. You change a culture by putting everyone involved on notice that it is no longer going to be tolerated and excuses like my coaches made me do it or peer pressure or the desire to elevate my profile and stand out or the dog ate my homework aren't going to fly anymore and they will lose more than pocket money or even a game check or two. They risk losing a place on the stage that is what really matters most to most of them. Bill has long held that if you really want to get a players attention you take away his stage. Goodell is doing just that by putting real teeth into what has always been a hollow threat.

How is the 'not going to be tolerated' bit put into effect? Oh, by fining and suspending players. The only process needed is to simply make those punishments hurt and other players won't want any part of them, culture changed.

And as to Vilma, he has never denied what he's charged with. What he has attempted to do is deny he really intended to do it... He's not suspended for paying bounties, but for simply offering to - whether he was lying to his teamates or not at the time because that's immaterial to the violation.

Yet again, the problem with the Vilma situation is that Goddell is going after a player for the cash situation, which doesnt directly affect player safety, what this whole thing is supposed to be about, and he ignores dirty play, which is exactly the real issue.

If you go after dirty players than any kind of bounties become irrelevant, who cares if a player got paid for making a perfectly clean and legal hit?

If you go after bounties but are very inconsistent and also light on dirty play you still get players being dirty, they're just going to be a lot quieter about rewarding each other but you really haven't done anything to get rid of dirty play.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back