PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker: best offseason pick-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just want to nip this in the bud, by continually fueling the fire -

PFinPhilly, I do agree that's where the confusion comes in, and it's understandable confusion. It sounds like it should be core, and you can easily trace the source of the error. It's also not anybody's fault that we have this other word, corps, running around, sounding different from how it's spelled. You don't have to tell me, my friend, I lost family members in the Great Vowel Shift.

But I say, let's just be the "educated fan base," and just as we all take our lumps figuring out the Xs and Os from some of the far brighter lights here, by God, when we're faced with useful knowledge gleaned from our fan site (in this case one little eddy of our strange language,) why not accept the new knowledge and be a little smarter? I don't think of myself as a football guru, but I sure like knowing the little I've gathered about 2-gap line play while poking around fan sites. I don't say "That may be true, but I could believe that a 2-gap defensive scheme refers to the 2 gaps created between the nose tackle and each end because they are often so far apart." I accept that each lineman is responsible for 2 gaps, and I move on.

Okay sorry for the highjacking. For the record -- Stallworth, Moss, or both could disappoint. I don't think it will happen. But Welker is the guy structured to stay a few years, come what may.

I think we're far more likely to look back at Welker as having been the best WR signing, just because the others are more likely to move on.

Of course what I hope is they all stay together and do so for reasonable prices, as the Pats romp to the first 3peat in Super Bowl history. But the "Welker was the best one" scenario, especially when viewed in (future) retrospect, seems likely as well. (Since we will always look back more fondly on our own.)

PFnV

Guys, all that was said was he thinks Welker "could" be the best free agent acquisition when it is all said and done. I don't think anyone can argue that, who knows how it will turn out as it is still the preseason. But I definately think Welker could become a huge asset kind of like Brown in 2001. Impossible to say, but it could happen. I think Thomas will be great too and likely the better player, but who knows.

While I think I'm going to love Welker there is no doubt in my mind that Adalius Thomas was the best offseason addition. So versatile on defense and he is f'ing fast for someone who weighs in at 290 pounds. He will make the defense even better than it is.

290? I don't believe that. He looks pretty trim, so I'll assume his nfl.com listed weight (270) is pretty accurate (though those weights are never updated).

That's still huge for a linebacker.

Just want to nip this in the bud, by continually fueling the fire -

PFinPhilly, I do agree that's where the confusion comes in, and it's understandable confusion. It sounds like it should be core, and you can easily trace the source of the error. It's also not anybody's fault that we have this other word, corps, running around, sounding different from how it's spelled. You don't have to tell me, my friend, I lost family members in the Great Vowel Shift.

But I say, let's just be the "educated fan base," and just as we all take our lumps figuring out the Xs and Os from some of the far brighter lights here, by God, when we're faced with useful knowledge gleaned from our fan site (in this case one little eddy of our strange language,) why not accept the new knowledge and be a little smarter? I don't think of myself as a football guru, but I sure like knowing the little I've gathered about 2-gap line play while poking around fan sites. I don't say "That may be true, but I could believe that a 2-gap defensive scheme refers to the 2 gaps created between the nose tackle and each end because they are often so far apart." I accept that each lineman is responsible for 2 gaps, and I move on.

Okay sorry for the highjacking. For the record -- Stallworth, Moss, or both could disappoint. I don't think it will happen. But Welker is the guy structured to stay a few years, come what may.

I think we're far more likely to look back at Welker as having been the best WR signing, just because the others are more likely to move on.

Of course what I hope is they all stay together and do so for reasonable prices, as the Pats romp to the first 3peat in Super Bowl history. But the "Welker was the best one" scenario, especially when viewed in (future) retrospect, seems likely as well. (Since we will always look back more fondly on our own.)

PFnV

PatsFanInVa, I think you're wrong here. The poster could be talking about the first 4 LBs as the core of our defense, not mentioning the young guys and Chad Brown, which would constitute the entire corps.

Also, there might be some sensitivity to using a word that is so similar to corpse given the advanced aged of some of the corps, particularly Seau and Brown.

That's all I had to say. It's a lazy Sunday and I'm just kicking back with a Coors listening to the Corrs.:bricks:

We'd be absolutely screwed at linebacker without Thomas. But many of us agree that Welker is a very valuable addition, likely to be more than any other addition except Thomas.

For those who think Meriweather was the #1 addition, I really don't know what to say. Absent major injuries, I don't expect him to be a major contributor this year. This is fine for a first rounder on a top team. For Meriweather to be the top addition as a rookie safety, he'd have to start and be in the mix for rookie of the year. I have no question that a go-to slot receiver and a starting LB who can start at any of 4 positions will be much more valuable.

I would say that Welker being under the radar nationally coming in will have the most surprising impact.

PatsFanInVa, I think you're wrong here. The poster could be talking about the first 4 LBs as the core of our defense, not mentioning the young guys and Chad Brown, which would constitute the entire corps.

Also, there might be some sensitivity to using a word that is so similar to corpse given the advanced aged of some of the corps, particularly Seau and Brown.

That's all I had to say. It's a lazy Sunday and I'm just kicking back with a Coors listening to the Corrs.:bricks:

This is starting to remind me of a "minor" Major character in Catch 22, Major Major, later Major Major Major Major.

Geek post of the week. (Even if it's true, that phrasing is still :rofl:-worthy.)

This is starting to remind me of a "minor" Major character in Catch 22, Major Major, later Major Major Major Major.

Actually, he was born Major Major Major. The computer added the fourth one by mistake. :bricks:

Last edited:
I definately see your point, however Welker may be able to come in and perrform when these guys are covered, which is my point...

Yes - I agree he will have a great year - likely the go-to guy for Brady over time... but his productivity - and the productivity of Watson, and of Maroney, and of Faulk, and the ability to take pressure off of Brady - will be the direct result of teams keeping guys back - and often doubleteaming - Moss and/or Stallworth.

So to me adding a deep threat that we did not have last year is MUCH more important to the success of the offense.

Geek post of the week. (Even if it's true, that phrasing is still :rofl:-worthy.)

Actually, he was born Major Major Major. The computer added the fourth one by mistake. :bricks:

Okay, it's been a while, but I thought he was named Major Major at birth, and then got promoted to Major, making him Major Major Major, then got promoted to Major Major Major Major. I have a vague memory of them inventing a rank for him.

PFnV

He's going to be a key target for Tom Brady-especially in clutch 3rd down spots. He has a knack for getting open from the slot and can make things happen after the catch. As previously stated, there's no doubt that defenses will have to honor Stallworth and Moss deep, which will open up Welker for more catches.

I can't wait to see what sort of impact he has on special teams. Welker has been a nuisance as a punt returner.

Last edited:
Just went to Wiki... apparently he's named Major Major Major at birth, and the computer promotes him to Major. I think that makes you right (he ends up Major Major Major Major).

PFnV

Last edited:
For the record -- Stallworth, Moss, or both could disappoint. I don't think it will happen. But Welker is the guy structured to stay a few years, come what may.

Given that fans often have unrealistic expectations - such as that Moss and Stallworth need to lead the team in catches - I'd say they likely will disappoint many fans.

But if one accepts the premise that they only need to collectively catch about 50 passes that average 18-20 ypc (and yes, I mean about 25 each) to have a MAJOR impact in keeping D's honest, barring injury I think there's no way they are going to fail to do that.

Not all fans will be able to see that though - but their impact will be felt, and Welker, Faulk, Maroney, Morris, Watson, and Brady will be the beneficiaries - as will the entire team when they get their rings.

Longterm, Welker's the bigger pickup for offense - assuming we continue to find someone to serve as a credible deep threat in years to come - but for a team that had NO deep threat last year to have the INCREDIBLE deep threats it now has to be viewed as HUGE, and means much more than picking up Welker.

Last edited:
Joe6, I'd say they combine for 100, but of course neither individually reaches 100... maybe close, though.

We all know about spreading the ball around... but if Troy and Deion could approach 100, I don't see Randy Moss being held to 25.

But 50 apiece, or some combo equaling a hundred between them, looks like the floor for the Moss/Stallworth combo to me.

PFnV

Have any of you played Madden 08?

In that game Adalius Thomas is by far the fastest defender on the team,Hope he plays like that in real time!

bump.....

I stand by my (in Clubber Lang's best voice) prediction.....pain...

I love Welker man, I just love his toughness, reliability, attitude.

i loves him...in a football way.

Last edited:
between Moss and Welker its kind of like comparing a Ferrari and a Lamborgini
They are both great its all about preference

Moss is the number one pick up

AD is after him, and welker goes next

Idea of Welker being most valuable is misplaced. Moss, Welker and Stallworth have complimentary skill sets, since Brady and BB understand who to use them to make the O as a whole better.... we will break the record for pts scored by an O. Welkers success in part is a result of teams trying to take Moss away and Welker's ability to make them pay for this in turn when they try to cover welker attacking the middle of the field it opens up Moss and Stallworth.

Gotta love a team with so many peices and the smartest QB in the game to manipulate the D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes