PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker: "Asante chose money over championships"

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is that in any way relevant to the conversation when the Patriots were 3 minutes from a title last season and the Eagles didn't make the playoffs?

Very relevant...in the randomness of the NFL you have no way of knowing whether you are joining a SB contending team or not. The Patriots are no closer to winning next year's SB than the Eagles. I would never bet on a Bill Belichick team to ever win another Lombardi Trophy. He is damaged goods.

The Giants were a wild card team that no one gave a shot of winning the SB at the beginning of the season or in the playoffs. So the players who joined the Giants last year joined the team to win a Championship? Please................

Every player should go for the money and screw the Owners, Fans or Lombardi Trophy. Only $$$ matters. Owners, fans and Lombardi Trophies can turn on you. Only Ben Franklins will stand by the players. Let's see; mansion, Ferrrari, chicks, vacations, investments, and never have to work again or the Lombardi Trophy?

Last edited:
Very relevant...in the randomness of the NFL you have no way of knowing whether you are joining a SB contending team or not.
No way of KNOWING positively guaranteed, of course. But to say that teh NFL is random, that every team has the exact same shot at the superbowl next year, isn't exactly true, either.

I think it is very reasonable to say that when a player leaves a contender for a lesser team, he is choosing money over a better chance at a ring, just as when a player takes less money to play with a better team. Colvin was offered more by Arizona than New England, but chose NE.

Worked out for him.

Asante chose money. It's self-evident, but so what? It's his right. Sometimes players chose not a whole lot more money do play with perennial losers. I'd never do that, but if I was keeping track of how successful I was by my bank account, I damn sure would and I could justify it to myself easily. I don't measure success with dollars, but many do, and it makes them happy.

Since when does Asante walk on water because he has 2 rings? Some say he could have had 3 if not for his own mess-ups on a recent February night.

I love what Wes said because it shows he has the passion to win, something some say Asante may have lacked at times.

I've got no issue with Samuel wanting to get paid; I do have an issue with people coming down on Wes Welker because he bongs the kool aid and believes that WINNING is what matters. And he has no fear about coming out and saying so either, and seriously what is wrong with that? In light of all that's happened since last September, I'm glad he's not shutting up about what he thinks, and every team needs a bad boy.
It's not about Asante anyway, it's about attitude...and I like Wes Welker's.

Wes has played his * off for this team, he's added another dimension to our offense, he's got game, and as far as I'm concerned he's earned the right to call out anyone he pleases, especially a player who's been cited as a key contributor to The Loss. Whatever-that's water under the bridge now- but how some of you can call out the player who would run through a freaking brick wall for this team is beyond me.

Rings or no rings...I'll take Wes Welker everytime. He'd die for this team, and players like that don't come along everyday.

I don't think anyone blames Asante for getting paid after his time in NE. I think the recent posts were just pointing out that the fact that the one writer was incorrect in saying that everybody leaves for the money (ie. posts about moss, brady, bruschi, colvin...)
Asante shouldn't get mad about the quote, Welker was just stating the obvious and not giving some BS political answer. I do think Asante will improve the Eagles a bunch and they should contend in the NFC.

Please tell me why this is any different than what MANY MANY people on here said about Asante? None of us have rings.

And, honestly, Welker is right. The Pats were offering damn good money to Asante and he walked. Just like his mentor, Ty Law. How many rings did Ty get after he left the Pats. In fact, I think that only Klecko has gotten a ring with another team after being with the Pats since 2003.

Umm...How many rings did the Patriots get after Ty left? Adam V also has a ring...
That said, I do agree with Welker's comments...

If I had a ring then I would take the $$$ ...

I am a whore like that ... I'm also not a professional athlete just a tired of working kind of guy.

is this "rabthepat" guy a joke?

how many rings did AS win with the pats?

I dont see how its that hard to imagine a player actually wanting a new challenge, new team mates etc. AS earned his right to big money, has gone to an NFC team and will do well. So what?

Honestly, im surprised Welker would say that. Struck me as the do the talking on the field sort of guy. You can imagine BB and Tom not being overly impressed

is this "rabthepat" guy a joke?

Yup, he's our resident bad joke. Disappointed fruntrunner fans in the extreme morph into bitter, contrarian, resident trolls who actually root against the team in hopes of being proved enlightened. As opposed to the rest of us supportive shmucks and koolaid lapping players who just haven't seen the handwriting on the wall yet. Admit it, only 4 trips to the Superbowl in 7 years and we only won 3/4th of them. It's crap I tell you and we're probably fools to put up with it - whereas smart money frontrunners are positioned at the rear of the bandwaggon for ease of exit!

I dont see how its that hard to imagine a player actually wanting a new challenge, new team mates etc. AS earned his right to big money, has gone to an NFC team and will do well. So what?

Honestly, im surprised Welker would say that. Struck me as the do the talking on the field sort of guy. You can imagine BB and Tom not being overly impressed

Only Asante didn't want a new challenge or new friends - he actually isn't the friendliest guy on the block, was not disliked but was also something of a quiet loner on this team. Did his own thing in the off season the last 2-3 seasons. He left for the money, pure and simple which is his right but no reason to sugar coat it. He went to a team that has been in disarray for a couple of years now with bigger issues on offense than defense...just ask his new QB!

As for Bill and Tom, while they may not say it they certainly get it and likely appreciate someone articulating it. Bill only wants players to whom winning championships matters, and preferably more than an extra million here or there. Remember, it's not like we didn't offer him anything - he'd have been a very wealthy young man either way. If Welker said he wasn't worth the deal he took, even though it's likely going to be proven true, that would be out of line. But stating the obvious - that money mattered more to Asante - is not a problem.

F.B.N. said:
If I had a ring then I would take the $$$ ...

I am a whore like that ... I'm also not a professional athlete just a tired of working kind of guy.

But that's OK Nut because you're at least an honest whore...:D

Really-who cares what Welker said?

Ultimately-the Eagles are going to regret this signing over the long haul, why? 'Cuz he DOESN'T fit into their schemes, at all. He could very well drive Jim Johnson to a retirement home when all is said and done.

Why is it a big deal when a guy gets upset over losing a teammate? That's why I hate Jim Rome. This is the NFL not the Bravo Network.

Hmmmmmm. It's a toss up for me............

Sure. Wes doesn't have a ring so does he have the right to say those kinds of things to a guy that does? Dunno.

Then again, can any really blame him for not sending AS "much love" given the fact that he watched THE RING HE SHOULD HAVE slip through Asante's hands?

Perhaps he shouldn't of said it, but to discount what he said because he "doesn't have a ring". Bunk. WW did his part to be wearing that ring. DID Asante?

The Eagles are going to regret that signing. No matter, as BB say "He don't play for us no more" ;)

Last edited:
Being a homer is one thing,Saying something stupid like you did is another - Adam will surely be in the hall of fame - Its a guarantee

You know you had your head up Vinatieri's **** just like we all did when he kicked it through in 2001 and 2003 so please stop with this "I don't know who Adam is" crap - You may not like him anymore but what he did for this team when he was here was nothing short of amazing.

I completely agree. Oh and don't waste your breath. I've gotten into it with DaBruinz more than a few times. He runs into a thread real fast, makes a completely assanine statement, TRIES to back it up, realizes he can't, then high tails it to another thread. It's just something he does. Vinatieri is a lock for the hall of fame and, despite being a Colt, truly deserves to be in the Pats HOF as well. I still have a soft spot in my heart for #4 because we really wouldn't be a dynasty (possibly not a champion either) without his leg.

Vinatieri is a lock for the hall of fame
No kicker is a lock for the Hall of Fame. He probably deserves it for that one kick in the snow against Oakland, but not only is he NOT a lock, he is unlikely to get in.

If he does it will be an injustice. Vinatieri is the second best kicker in Pats history, and should not get in before Gino Cappilletti does.

Considering what Pats did to Colvin, i don't blame Asante.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back