PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welcome to the New England Patriots, Southern Miss LB Jamie Collins

Status
Not open for further replies.
This pick kind of spells the end of the Spikes era here in NE. Hightower will play MLB and we will see Mayo and James as the OLBs, not too shabby if you ask me.

i think Hightower being drafted raised questions about Spikes more than this pick. But Collins definitely provides insurance in case Spikes (or Ninkovich) leave in FA or are traded.

Pats pretty well set at LB for the time being. Potentially a very nice addition to the D.

More I think about more I am completely sold on him.

When the pick was first announces and everyone went berserk and bemoaning the end of the patriots of the world I was like warm.

But guy is incredibly versatile and athletic. Tremendous upside. Raw as a pass rusher a solid tackler and great range.

Bottom line is he quit on his coaching staff (which everybody on the team hated) and his teammates last season. He dogged it all year and was overdrafted based on his junior tape and his combine.

Hopefully guys like Mayo, Spikes and Hightower can teach this guy to be a professional.

• Tackles Def Int Fumbles
    Year School Conf Class Pos .............. Solo Ast Tot Loss Sk Int Yds Avg TD PD FR Yds TD FF

2009* Southern Mississippi CUSA FR DB 27 21 48 3.0 2.0 0 0 0 0 1 16 1 1

2010* Southern Mississippi CUSA SO DB 45 31 76 2.5 2.5 2 37 18.5 1 4 1 13 0 1

2011* Southern Mississippi CUSA JR DL 58 40 98 19.5 6.5 1 97 97.0 1 9 0 0 0 1

2012 Southern Mississippi CUSA SR DL 66 26 92 20.0 10.0 0 0 0 5 0 0 0 4

The numbers say otherwise. I've been poring over this pick's history. The coaches at Southern Mississippi to a man say Collins was the only player on defense that DID NOT quit. It is Collins himself who said he could have played better. That is not a negative, that is a positive as far as I'm concerned. A negative would have been if he took NO RESPONSIBILITY for the rest of the defense dogging it. Your post is a shallow, hyper derogatory putdown with no merit, based on the numbers.

A couple of personal note about Collins.

Had a lot of adversity to overcome in his life. Was raised by his sister after his father,mother, and older brother passed away (don't know how)

Avid bass fisherman and went fishing with Brett Farve. I hope that Farve taught him how to fish and not take photos of his junk.

What is nice about this pick, is as we have a solid LB corps he does not have to immediately start, he can learn the D, acclimate to the NFL and find his role as the season progresses..

This guy could be a real sleeper in terms of our pass rush... love his speed and freakish athletic ability.

What is nice about this pick, is as we have a solid LB corps he does not have to immediately start, he can learn the D, acclimate to the NFL and find his role as the season progresses..

This guy could be a real sleeper in terms of our pass rush... love his speed and freakish athletic ability.

I am not convinced about his pass rush abilities...yet. If you watch the highlights you will notice that most of his sacks came when he was unblocked or they were coverage sacks. He needs to work on his pass-rush technique. He has the raw ability but not much as far as pass rush moves...yet

Watching youtube videos on him, makes me think he will be a developmental player who won't pay serious dividends until 2014.

He seems to have trouble disengaging from blockers

over pursues and fails to maintain contain (this might have to do with trying to make every play since his team sucked)

Very fast but most of his tackles in the backfield come from blitz situations rather than straight up pass rushing situations.

To me he looks like a raw athlete that will be very good after a year of seasoning.

Jamie Collins vs Nebraska (2012) - YouTube

On a side note, look at how far back their defensive tackles and sometimes defensive ends line up. What kind of garbage system starts their defensive tackles a yard off the ball? No wonder they were bad.

Bottom line is he quit on his coaching staff (which everybody on the team hated) and his teammates last season. He dogged it all year and was overdrafted based on his junior tape and his combine.

Hopefully guys like Mayo, Spikes and Hightower can teach this guy to be a professional.

Reminds me of a great quote by a GM about scouting college players, specifically those with wok ethic question marks. I'm paraphrasing but it's essentially: If you're not going to try hard and put in the effort with a million dollars at stake, what are you going to do once I give you a million dollars?

Watching youtube videos on him, makes me think he will be a developmental player who won't pay serious dividends until 2014.

To me he looks like a raw athlete that will be very good after a year of seasoning.

Jamie Collins vs Nebraska (2012) - YouTube

He had a few good plays but look dreadful on more plays. Twice he was in position to stop a reverse and took a bad angle and missed. On running plays he was blown off the line. On some plays it looked like he was sleep walking....

I don't get it. The Patriots took this guy instead of Margus Hunt or Jamar Taylor or Arthur Brown? He must have had an off-game. Surely BB and his staff must have seen something....I hope

I'm getting more and more attached to the Jamie Collins pick for the following reasons:

1. We all knew that any pick on the defensive side was more of a "luxury" pick. A pick to upgrade depth and overall talent. I think BB picked Collins over my personal binkie, Margus Hunt, because he it was a rare opportunity to get the kind of impact athlete that the Pats RARELY get a chance to pick because they draft so low in every round.

2. If you go to NFL.com and check out Collins' measurables with Dion Jordan who went #3 to the Dolphins, the similarities are eerily similar and even slightly favor Collins. Both ran 4.6 forties. Both had 7 second 3 cones. Both had 4.3 shuttle times. Collins out jumped Jordan by a foot and a half in the broad jump, and by almost a foot in vertical jump. And while Jordan is 2 inches taller they both have the same arm length. So if you are looking at the "measurables" Collins is just as fast, quick and as strong as a guy who was picked 50 slots ahead of him, but proved to be more "explosive" as shown by the 2 drills designed to measure explosiveness.

3. Now here is where the comparison gets down right scary. Its one thing to compare how players do in the underwear olympics. But I'd like to see a comparison of what they did on the field. We know that last season Collins had 90 tackles, 20 for a loss, 10 sacks and 5 passes defended and a chart below that showed he had a just 3% miss rate on tackles, the best among all OLB's

4. I would love if a stats guy could find how Collins fares compared to Mingo and Jordan in just these 4 categories (tackles, tackles for loses, sacks and passed defended) I would be willing to bet that Collins fairs very well in that comparison

5. Comparing him to Mingo you see that they are also very similar, though Mingo ran a slightly faster 40 time (by 6/100's of a second, and a faster 3 cone time by a tenth of second. Though Collins had a slightly fast shuttle. Also Collins, like with Jordan, out jumped him by a foot and a foot and a half respectively in the VJ and BJ. Again like Jordan, Mingo is 3 inches taller, but all 3 have the same arm length.

In the following comparison, you see Collins compares very well with Mingo in his on field production. In fact BETTER than alright.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BF0YP-PCUAExs9D.png

6. A couple of other things to consider when you make these comparisons. Mingo and Jordan played on 2 of the top 5 programs in the country with the best coaching and facilities available. Collins, as widely reported....not so much.

Collins 10 sacks and 5 passes defended are even more impressive when you consider that because their defense was SO bad, teams rarely had to throw the ball. In fact there were only 3 defenses in the entire country who were thrown against less.

7. Below are 2 more links to charts that show how Collins compares so favorably with the best OLB/DE prospects in the league. The first is from football outsiders, who discuss explosiveness as an indicator to predicting pass rush effectiveness. BTW - NO one had a higher explosiveness index than Collins. Not Mingo, or Jordan, or Anseh, or Jarvis Jones.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | SackSEER 2013

The other is the chart that shows Collin's tackling efficiency. That 3% number I mentioned earlier that led all OLB prospect in this draft

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BFMily9CMAA5BBR.jpg:large.

8. Now here is a question you. If Collins was truly guilty of "quitting on is team". If he were truly lazy and taking off plays on a regular basis, yet STILL managed to put up numbers that were equal or better than the 2 top guys taken close to 50 spots before him; IMAGINE what he might accomplish if he was actually motivated to go all out and had good coaching. :eek:

Now the truth is that while he never truly quit on his team, he could very well have become victim to a really bad team with coaches to had "lost" those players That is NOT a good situation. I have been on a couple of BAD college football teams and know all too well how hard it is to keep motivated and playing at your best when all you do is lose. And we loved our coaches ;). I can't imagine how it would have been if we had hated them.

Bottom line, I just can get my head around the claims of sloth by scouts and draft gurus, when I look at the productivity on the field. They just don't match a guy who "quit on his team. OTOH I almost hope its true, because if THAT's the kind of productivity he gets when he's disinterested, imagine what he can do when properly motivated and coached

9. OK now here's were I go out on a limb. Its a very long one and not very thick or sturdy, but I feel the necessity to do so anyway. I opine that 3 years down the road, Jamie Collins has an excellent chance to be JUST as effective a player Dion Jordan and Barky Mingo. That 3 years from now we will look back at this draft and say with pride the Pats got the best OLB in the draft.

10. Now here is the disclaimer. I understand that Collins is a raw talent in great need of pass rushing techniques to compete on this next level. I understand that he likely won't have the luxury that was afford guys like Quinn and Ervin, to "just" rush the passer. He going to asked to work in coverage as well.

That being said I haven't been as sure of a draft pick turing out to be more than just "good" in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back