PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welcome to the New England Patriots, Southern Miss LB Jamie Collins

Status
Not open for further replies.
His pass rushing technique was inconsistent at best and he was sometimes the last guy off the LoS, but he's a very good coverage LB and, barring him not understanding the playbook, should be able to take on that role immediately. I'm not a fan of the pick the high up in the draft for the Pats, but I'm not going to dump all over it. As of right now, it's a "meh" pick. If he can improve his pass rushing technique (something that's coachable), it will be a much better pick. Still disappointed we missed out Carradine and Woods when we could have packaged picks to move up and select them and passed up on the last good safety in the draft (and someone who lays the lumber) in Swearinger, only to make an absolute reach later on. But it is what it is.

EDIT: And another thing that doesn't seem to concern too many people for one reason or another was his effort and the speculation that he may have quit on his team last year. To me, that would be a big red flag.

His pass rushing technique was inconsistent at best and he was sometimes the last guy off the LoS, but he's a very good coverage LB and, barring him not understanding the playbook, should be able to take on that role immediately. I'm not a fan of the pick the high up in the draft for the Pats, but I'm not going to dump all over it. As of right now, it's a "meh" pick. If he can improve his pass rushing technique (something that's coachable), it will be a much better pick. Still disappointed we missed out Carradine and Woods when we could have packaged picks to move up and select them and passed up on the last good safety in the draft (and someone who lays the lumber) in Swearinger, only to make an absolute reach later on. But it is what it is.

EDIT: And another thing that doesn't seem to concern too many people for one reason or another was his effort and the speculation that he may have quit on his team last year. To me, that would be a big red flag.

I'm not sure how a guy who collected 20 TFL including 10.5 sacks on a team that lost every game it played, 'quit on them'.

Bottom line is he quit on his coaching staff (which everybody on the team hated) and his teammates last season. He dogged it all year and was overdrafted based on his junior tape and his combine.

Hopefully guys like Mayo, Spikes and Hightower can teach this guy to be a professional.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | SackSEER 2013

pats2.JPG

That is Collins btw

Holy crap! #22 is LB Jamie Collins?!?

How come the Celtics don't draft guys like that?

Bottom line is he quit on his coaching staff (which everybody on the team hated) and his teammates last season. He dogged it all year and was overdrafted based on his junior tape and his combine.

Hopefully guys like Mayo, Spikes and Hightower can teach this guy to be a professional.

Yeah, but judging by the photo on this thread, nobody has a chance if the game comes down to a field goal!

Are you sure that picture is him? He wears #8 in the highlights I saw, or did he switch number for last season?

Shouldn't have any problems with cut blocks then!

The more I think about it the more I think Collins would make a perfect SLB in a 4-3 Under that I have talked about earlier in the offseason. We are really only missing the dominant 5-tech (Jessie Williams?)

5-Tech- Love?
NT- Wilfork
3-Tech- Armstead, Kelly
Leo/Elephant- C. Jones

SLB- Ninko, Collins, Hightower
MLB- Spikes, Hightower, Mayo
WLB- Mayo, Fletcher

SS- A. Wilson, T. Wilson, Harmon
FS- McCourty, Gregory

Collins would be an athletic upgrade and would be better suited to line up against TEs. He would also offer us versatility in sub packages as an edge rusher or coverage guy. I love his explosiveness and overall athleticism, and hopefully once he gets into a good environment and actually gets decent coaching he could be a beast.

Vikings trade really looking good now more I read about Dobson and Collins. What are the chances Collins becomes a pro bowl type pass rusher? I'd think, could be way off but, if he gets only 10 sacks in college would it be likely for him to top that in the pros? I don't watch or pay attention much to college ball just curious to where other pass rushers have come from.

Holy crap! #22 is LB Jamie Collins?!?

How come the Celtics don't draft guys like that?

If he doesn't rebound I'm sure they would have been all over him. ;)

Haven't had a guy with this much upside in a defensive player in a long time.

Hope he pans out

The number changes are related to the fact he used to play safety in his first year. Then LB in his second. Then DE in his third.

Random thought that just popped into my head about him:

Former safety, insane leaping ability...move him all round the defense, covering the TE, rushing the passer have him as the deep guy defending a hail mary.

How about goal line receiver? :D

The number changes are related to the fact he used to play safety in his first year. Then LB in his second. Then DE in his third.

Wow. He's played all three positions in college? He must be able to cover tight ends. What a terrific addition.

Wow. He's played all three positions in college? He must be able to cover tight ends. What a terrific addition.

Sounds like ravens' Adalius Thomas. Is it September yet?

I'd had Dane Fletcher at coverage LB. Apparently BB wasn't thrilled with that prospect. Dane is on the bubble this year.

I'm uncharacteristically warming to the possible thought of trading Spikes...too late unless a 2014 thrown in.

This pick kind of spells the end of the Spikes era here in NE. Hightower will play MLB and we will see Mayo and James as the OLBs, not too shabby if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes