PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welcome to the New England Patriots, Marshall WR Aaron Dobson

He's raw, but he's pretty much exactly what we needed at the position. Tall, fast, physical WR that specializes outside the hashes, but is willing to go underneath or over the middle. He also presents a big target in the red area as well. He just needs to fine tune his route running a little bit. His Wonderlic was a bit on the low side as well, but it wasn't low enough to give Pats fans reasons to panic. He wasn't in my top three of WR's available, but he was what I (and many others) have been calling for since the close of the AFCCG. The Pats should now target Patton or Swope to pair with him and they will hopefully fill out the WR position. FWIW, even with those two selections, I'm also a fan of bringing Lloyd back.

He did not run at the Combine: 2013 NFL Combine: WR so where did you come up with that 4.37? I hate it when a guy does not run at the Combine; either is trying to hide something or has no competitive spirit or a bad agent or is injured.

For Dobson, the report was a pulled hamstring preventing him from running at the combine.
Dobson a Big NFL prospect, Despite Being Hobbled - HERDZONE.COM - The Marshall University Thundering Herd Official Athletic Site

Wow! Can he make unbelievable catches. Great hands,but totally lacks explosion or burst. Hard to see him creating separation from pro CB's,unless he is going up against the equally slow Logan Ryan.

Scouting report by Cosell. A guy that I trust.

Dobson, at 6’3” and 210 pounds, was a strong blend of size and fluid movement. He was quicker than fast, regardless of his outstanding 4.42 40 time at his recent pro day. Yet, like many tall wide receivers, his height and stride length generated deceptive speed on vertical routes. What continually stood out the more I evaluated Dobson were his vice grip hands, and his body control and flexibility to adjust to the ball in the air, resulting in both contested and difficult catches. He’s not quite Larry Fitzgerald (few are, plus Fitzgerald’s play speed is a lot faster than people think; just talk to NFL corners), but I saw some similar traits in Dobson. A year ago, Justin Blackmon, Michael Floyd, Kendall Wright and A.J. Jenkins were all selected in the first round. Are they significantly better NFL prospects than Dobson, Rogers, Hopkins and Harper? I would argue they are not.

BTW Randy Moss went to Marshall but he ah....sort of...ah transferred there....

I am not saying anything here just noting some history....

I badly wanted Hopkins and Wheaton, but I loves me some Dobson.

We've been begging for a guy who take the top off a defense - this kid can provide that.

Keenan Allen was available at this time for the Patriots to pick, but they picked Dobson.

My question is, isn't Allen more polished than Dobson, in terms of NFL ready? Allen was a WR, as well as a RB, and a PR. Very versatile. And that Dobson is a bit raw.

I'm not knocking Dobson, but, Allen seemed a even better fit?

Allen had medical issues. I'm thankful that we didn't add yet another medical issue to the team.

Keenan Allen was available at this time for the Patriots to pick, but they picked Dobson.

My question is, isn't Allen more polished than Dobson, in terms of NFL ready? Allen was a WR, as well as a RB, and a PR. Very versatile. And that Dobson is a bit raw.

I'm not knocking Dobson, but, Allen seemed a even better fit?

Allen had medical issues. I'm thankful that we didn't add yet another medical issue to the team.

I don't always agree with mgteich. But, when I do, I like his posts.

Wow! Can he make unbelievable catches. Great hands,but totally lacks explosion or burst. Hard to see him creating separation from pro CB's,unless he is going up against the equally slow Logan Ryan.

Kinda feel like you're just making things up again.

I didn't expect Dobson to last this long, where we would still have a chance to grab him so wow, that is a very good pick, potentially great. We have a well sought history with Marshall players, and I don't see why this trend wouldn't continue. Plus, this kid has size, strength, athletic ability, amazing hands and sharp route running. Yes, he is raw but he will be catching passes from the NFL's very best Quarterback that this league has ever seen and still in his prime. Additionally, he will get coaching from another great football mind in Bill Belichick, and I believe Josh McDaniels is pretty good with Wide Receivers as well. You factor all of that in, along with playing around top talents such as Danny Amendola, Aaron Hernandez, Rob Gronkowski, Julian Edelman and more and he'll be a great addition, blend right in, and may even stand out. Plus, just look at the name "Aaron Dobson" the kid sounds like a beast. And didn't I hear a scout say that he caught everything in the snow? You know that's going to really help us. Great pick, he has intangibles I like over Wheaton and Allen, just doesn't have the blazing speed but neither did Michael Irvin.

he appears to be very good at catches away from the body.......

seems like a sound prospect

I would feel better if they followed up with someone like ryan swope in the 4th round......maybe doesn't blow the top off of a defense, but there's always room for guys who can keep the chains moving and insurance against the potential for amendola being brittle

There are two things that I like about this pick. He's good at catching the ball away from his body and he FIGHTS for the football while a defender is in his face. To many times I saw a certain WR on this team fall down instead of catching a pass with a defender in his face. Seems like a tough kid. I won't go overboard with enthusiasm but I think that he has potential. I will reserve further judgment until I see him play on the field with my own eyes. :D

I was thrilled when I heard this pick. Kid has HANDS, and SPEED, and SIZE. If he can get it then we have got a tremendous weapon.

so you would be unhappy if he turned out to be an almost 1000+ yard receiver like brandon lloyd?

I would be unhappy if he were anything like Lloyd's epic fail as a deep threat. That's the role they needed Lloyd to play. Ian did a great breakdown to illustrate that point.

With Sanders off the Table Patriots Go Back to the Drawing Board at WR :Ian's New England Patriots Blog

Lloyd might have had 900 yards but he was impotent as a deep threat and offered no YAC and all the defenses knew it.

So yes, if Dobson replicates Lloyd i won't be happy.

I was thrilled when I heard this pick. Kid has HANDS, and SPEED, and SIZE. If he can get it then we have got a tremendous weapon.

I think the key is whether he can understand the complex route tree.

Anyone have info on Dobson's route running and the complexity of Marshalls' schemes?

I think the key is whether he can understand the complex route tree.

Anyone have info on Dobson's route running and the complexity of Marshalls' schemes?

From what I've read they ran a simplistic offense. Of course just because they didn't run a complex offense doesn't mean he can't, just not proven.

I've got my hopes high.

From what I've read they ran a simplistic offense. Of course just because they didn't run a complex offense doesn't mean he can't, just not proven.

I've got my hopes high.

Chad Jackson, 6'1", and ran a 4.37 (40) and projected 1st/2nd round. We know what happened afterwards...

I am surprised that Patriots didn't get a "safe bet", like Robert Woods.

Hopefully, Patriots give Dobson the playbook early and let him JEL with No. 12.

Giving Dobson the playbook is not enough. He'll need a personal tutor. His Wonderlic is under 20. Besides, expecting a lot from a rookie quarterback is not reasonable unless we are talking about a top 10 stud (even they often take a year to develop).

Hopefully, Patriots give Dobson the playbook early and let him JEL with No. 12.

Giving Dobson the playbook is not enough. He'll need a personal tutor. His Wonderlic is under 20. Besides, expecting a lot from a rookie quarterback is not reasonable unless we are talking about a top 10 stud (even they often take a year to develop).

I would not put too much on Wonderlic numbers, in general.

If Dobson can learn and is smart, he should be fine. I wonder who will help develop him? I mean, our WR coaches are not necessarily the best teachers....

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back