PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welcome to the New England Patriots, Marshall WR Aaron Dobson

I certainly hope so.

We're fine if Josh is satisfied with Amendola, Jones, Jenkins, Edelman and Dobson.

I would still like to see another wide receiver at 102.

Of the five above only Edelman has experience with Brady. Our next WR will be our sixth (eighth actually, including Ebert). He'll have to clear waivers and go on the practice squad. Otherwise we have three veterans and two rookies and only one with Brady chemistry. It's too much. Seventh round only for our next WR this year.

Decker and Thomas are both good receivers. But they were all on the three year plan before they hit their full stride. Year one meh, year two decent, year three 1k+ yards.

I'm not sure our impatient fans could wait until Dobson fully developed.

Decker and Thomas are both good receivers. But they were all on the three year plan before they hit their full stride. Year one meh, year two decent, year three 1k+ yards.

I'm not sure our impatient fans could wait until Dobson fully developed.

wasn't their 3rd year when manning joined the team?

wasn't their 3rd year when manning joined the team?

It was. If manning was there for all 3 years..they would have progressed faster IMO

Applaud this pick. Hope its not the only WR the Pats draft. Rodgers or Patton would be a good complement.

the mongos spewing crap are all angry because their binkie, Keenan Allen, dropped down the board like a three day old stool down a cesspool.

Team captain at Marshall...great hands...has combine speed(4.37) but plays slower in game.If it was an over the top breakway guy you wanted you'll be disappointed. If it's a player that will catch anything thrown near him, capable of crisp routes and cuts, this kid will work out fine.

nice jumping ability in coverage..

Aaron+Dobson+4Dz7ncplCo-m.jpg

Yeah. nice pick. I really like the measurables; but he definitely seemed NOT SO FAST when he got behind the D. they caught up most of the time.

some weird differences of opinion out there: reports of NO drops when he obviously had drops (announcer even said 'that is his 2d drop today' during the LSU highlights) and the bleacher report said he was an exceptional route runner making great foot positioning while the boston media were saying that Marshall runs simple routes and didnt ask much of him. so a lot of ??s even with a real good potential pick.

I'm excited about this pick. No drop passes last year!!!

Yeah. nice pick. I really like the measurables; but he definitely seemed NOT SO FAST when he got behind the D. they caught up most of the time.

some weird differences of opinion out there: reports of NO drops when he obviously had drops (announcer even said 'that is his 2d drop today' during the LSU highlights) and the bleacher report said he was an exceptional route runner making great foot positioning while the boston media were saying that Marshall runs simple routes and didnt ask much of him. so a lot of ??s even with a real good potential pick.

They caught up with balls rarely thrown in stride. I saw so all-22 tape on this guy and the QB play was horrendous. He was hung out to dry in the air on multiple occasions.

He certainly doesn't appear to have the elite top end speed his 40 time suggests but it's enough. Wen you have to slow down and come back/try and locate a football, its not hard for a DB to catch up.

Good article written a few weeks back.

Why the New England Patriots Absolutely Must Draft Aaron Dobson | Bleacher Report

Love this part:

According to John Pollard of STATS.com via Twitter, Dobson had the best hands in college football last season—he didn't drop a single pass.

Brandon Lloyd has some of the best hands in the Pros so I would not get too excited yet. Dobson however seems faster and quicker with his breaks. It would be a dream come true if the Patriots could really draft a good WR.

After so many flops Bill has to prove he can draft a WR but Dobson seems like the real deal. This may sound harsh but Bedard is harsher:
Time will tell on Aaron Dobson, Patriots’ draft strategy - Patriots - Boston.com

Applaud this pick. Hope its not the only WR the Pats draft. Rodgers or Patton would be a good complement.

I have to believe that the majority of the remaining pick will be for WR. At least I hope so; the Patriots have a huge hole there and (given their recent results drafting WRs) they should use the shotgun approach.

Brandon Lloyd has some of the best hands in the Pros so I would not get too excited yet. Dobson however seems faster and quicker with his breaks. It would be a dream come true if the Patriots could really draft a good WR.

After so many flops Bill has to prove he can draft a WR but Dobson seems like the real deal. This may sound harsh but Bedard is harsher:
Time will tell on Aaron Dobson, Patriots’ draft strategy - Patriots - Boston.com

so you would be unhappy if he turned out to be an almost 1000+ yard receiver like brandon lloyd?

If you've not watched this kid play you're going to love him. His hands are fantastic and his football intelligence is outstanding. Add in the fact he's 6'3, 210lbs and we could have a perennial all-Pro on the team. Brady's going to love him.

It's probably no coincidence that after parting ways with Welker and Lloyd, Belichick opts for a deep threat who didn't have one dropped pass last season.

That is not true, just from the highlight videos alone, you can see about 3 easy drops.

so you would be unhappy if he turned out to be an almost 1000+ yard receiver like brandon lloyd?

I should not have posted that until I saw his highlights. After viewing his highlights it is pretty clear that he is way better than Lloyd. Dobson looks like the complete package. He just destroyed smaller CBs and had good speed. Nice cut moves also and excellent hands; he had an one-handed catch that was incredible and there was another play in which he denied a DB the ball in the endzone.

After looking at the highlights I cannot understand when Dobson was not drafted higher....

I like this pick! A big receiver!

Please don't be Taylor Price or Chad Ja... sorry I can't say it!

I should not have posted that until I saw his highlights. After viewing his highlights it is pretty clear that he is way better than Lloyd. Dobson looks like the complete package. He just destroyed smaller CBs and had good speed. Nice cut moves also and excellent hands; he had an one-handed catch that was incredible and there was another play in which he denied a DB the ball in the endzone.

After looking at the highlights I cannot understand when Dobson was not drafted higher....

i agree with your sentiment that the pats need to draft more WRs. I think I would be happy with Patton or Rogers in Round 4. My gut is telling me that they want Khaseem Greene.

Ok, I'm sorry but we need some objectivity in this thread.

Dobson is the classic tier 2 swing for the fences BB WR like Tate and Price. Really high ceiling, but a project. This guy was only the 3rd most productive WR on his own team and is from the conference USA. An average season of 45 receptions and 600 yards in the C-USA is concerning, especially when his teammates are racking up better stats.

BB once again passed on the tier 1 WR class for value, we'll see what happens.

From the highlights, he had some drops on easy uncontested passes into his chest, so this "had no drops" business is wrong. OTOH, many of the other passes he caught were acrobatic, heavily contested and on the edge of his catch radius. One nice thing is he fights for any pass he can get a fingertip on, which will cut down on picks of misplaced deep balls. Not at all afraid of contact (on a pass play) before or after the catch.

Just one guy's uninformed opinion after watching 5 minutes of youtube. However you want to look at it, this is a lot better than picking another S instead of a WR.

the mongos spewing crap are all angry because their binkie, Keenan Allen, dropped down the board like a three day old stool down a cesspool.

Team captain at Marshall...great hands...has combine speed(4.37) but plays slower in

He did not run at the Combine: 2013 NFL Combine: WR so where did you come up with that 4.37? I hate it when a guy does not run at the Combine; either is trying to hide something or has no competitive spirit or a bad agent or is injured.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back