PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welcome to the New England Patriots Malcom Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Wow! I never thought he would be around at #32. Kiper had him ranked #12 overall and others had him ranked between 15-22.

Certainly a position of need. BTW, we have another Malcom on the roster that worked out well.

Last edited:
This is the first time since Wilfork that they picked the player I wanted in the first. I don't believe he fell to 32

Why are you putting a b at the end of Malcolm?

Great pick though. BB strikes again.

MalcomB o_Oo_Oo_O

Was hoping for Oline to start. But can't complain with this pick. Our front 7 is looking really, really good right now. Good lawd.

He was third on my list after TJ Clemmings and Laken Tomlinson for this slot. Clemmings was still available but I think Brown was a slide that you can't pass up. He was literally the only DT that would potentially fall to the Patriots whom I thought worth it (don't see DT as a pressing need, especially not NT - Eddie Goldman made no sense).

Bob McGinn's report:

4. MALCOM BROWN, Texas (6-2 ½, 321, 5.07, 1): Third-year junior. "Tough, smart (Wonderlic of 19), strong (26 bench-press reps)," one scout said. "Play the 1-technique, play the 3-technique. He's got great character. He's not going to be all-world but he's going to be a good contributor." Started 26 of 39 games, finishing with 165 tackles (29 for loss) and 8 ½ sacks. "He's got excellent athletic ability," another scout said. "He's quick, got some strength. He's disruptive. He penetrates." Married with two daughters. "At times he plays hard," a third scout said. "Then he floats around at times. He's not a great technician as a rusher but still ended up with 6 ½ sacks (in '14). He's got some rush ability inside. Just needs to be more consistent." From Brenham, Texas.

The quotes sort of remind me of Ty Warren when he came out, and if he turned out a Patriots career anything like Ty Warren - one of the best interior linemen in the game and a huge part of two Super Bowls and two near-misses - we could all consider that a 1st round pick well spent.

Last edited:
Why are you putting a b at the end of Malcolm?

Great pick though. BB strikes again.

I agree. I was a proponent of trading out. Which they did. Until they didn't.
Anyhow, wow, with Easley coming off his red-shirt year ...but let's just worry about how magnificent the Ds are in the rest of the East.

I apologize to all the English teachers out there. They spell it with a "B" in Maine.:D

I was flipping a coin between Brown and Eddie Goldman when they were both on the board. could not go wrong with either.

Glad they got a guy who can get after the passer a bit instead of someone like Goldman who would be another Siliga (at best IMO). Didn't think this was a huge need, but this guy is versatile and talented. I'm happy. Still confused about wtf we're doing at guard.

Yes! Welcome Malcom Brown!

Glad they got a guy who can get after the passer a bit instead of someone like Goldman who would be another Siliga (at best IMO). Didn't think this was a huge need, but this guy is versatile and talented. I'm happy. Still confused about wtf we're doing at guard.

Good to see another big Siliga fan. The nose, with Siliga and Branch, was never an issue once Branch was re-signed, but Easley and now Brown have the potential to make the under position really explosive this season.

• Agree
Reactions: jah

Maybe pick an OG tomorrow? No?

I didn't name him but the position was EXACTLY what I wanted. He can come in and contribute day 1, which is something no rookie corner in this draft was gonna do. Very happy tonight.

Phil Perry ‏@PhilAPerry 4m4 minutes ago
Belichick says Brown's maturity is "impressive." Stayed in school, finished up at Texas, has made good decisions, loyal guy.

benvolin
5 minutes ago
Belichick notes Brown's versatility playing all over the line. "He's athletic for 320 (pounds) or whatever he is.

Wow! I never thought he would be around at #32. Kiper had him ranked #12 overall and others had him ranked between 15-22.

Certainly a position of need. BTW, we have another Malcomb on the roster that worked out well.

:p

He is certainly someone that can start day one and he'll be a good (to very good) one-gapping 1-tech. I don't think he's a Wilforkian two-gapping DT though. His tape doesn't really suggest he can take on double-teams to any real degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes