PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welcome To Life On The Second Tier

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Belichick Speaks on Charlie Weis

Ian's Daily Blog - Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com reported on Tuesday that Patriots head coach Bill Belichick discussed*former offensive coordinator and*recently fired Notre Dame head coach Charlie Weis.* As usual he wasn’t very forthcoming about the possibility of Weis returning to New England – although he didn’t rule it out either.“I’m disappointed for Charlie, and his family and all [...]

Re: Belichick Speaks on Charlie Weis

I listened to his interview on WEEI, yeah he didn't rule it out for next season but he made it clear its not on his radar at all right now, that the only thing that matters to him is the next game and that he won't think about anything like that until this season is over. He did say they are still great friends.

Last edited:
Re: Belichick Speaks on Charlie Weis

Booooooooooooooooo. He should get on his hands and knees and beg for Weis to return.

I would have to agree with this. The overall attitude on there throughout the league is not the fear of the Patriots. Teams aren't pissing there pants when they come into face us or we go in face them. This defense isn't with Harrison, Law, Bruschi, Vrabel and Johnson. The guys that would drive fear into offenses around the league. This defense is no longer elite, and it was the that made us so good for so long. You have a great offense, teams can adjust easier then if you do with a great defense. It maybe the end of a run right now, but I expect them to reload and be back there again.

Re: Defense Exposed For What They Really Are

Hopefully this stinging experience will benefit the youngsters somewhere down the road.

You know I was thinking, maybe for a while, it may not be such a bad thing to be on the so called "second tier". If nothing else to "recharge" our batteries, maybe fly under radar for a while after being constantly scrutinized to the hilt by the media, for every thing to make stories over and other factions. Let others take those arrows for a while. It is getting to be quite tiresome.

EZ76

You know I was thinking, maybe for a while, it may not be such a bad thing to be on the so called "second tier". If nothing else to "recharge" our batteries, maybe fly under radar for a while after being constantly scrutinized to the hilt by the media, for every thing to make stories over and other factions. Let others take those arrows for a while. It is getting to be quite tiresome.

EZ76

I do agree with this to an extent. In 2007, everyone we played treated that game like it was their Super Bowl, and it wore on the team. That's not good for the team. And as a fan, last night's loss had a bizarrely calming effect on me. In a weird way, I've just sort of accepted that the Pats aren't a top-tier team (my head already knew that, but my heart didn't yet), and from here on out this season I just don't really expect them to be. I think they'll win the division, and make the playoffs, and probably even win in the wild card round. It's still not inconceivable that they could go to the SB, but that's something that would be nice if it happened, rather than any sort of an expectation. I'm going to root like hell for them, but my expectations are realistic.

Last edited:
I do agree with this to an extent. In 2007, everyone we played treated that game like it was their Super Bowl, and it wore on the team. That's not good for the team. And as a fan, last night's loss had a bizarrely calming effect on me. In a weird way, I've just sort of accepted that the Pats aren't a top-tier team (my head already knew that, but my heart didn't yet), and from here on out this season I just don't really expect them to be. I think they'll win the division, and make the playoffs, and probably even win in the wild card round. It's still not inconceivable that they could go to the SB, but that's something that would be nice if it happened, rather than any sort of an expectation. I'm going to root like hell for them, but my expectations are realistic.

Same here. It's strange, I don't know quite how to explain it, but I wouldn't mind dropping the expectations and just enjoying watching the team like I used to as opposed to expecting then to be in the Superbowl every year. First time I noticed it was right before Superbowl 39, I didn't really enjoy the game, I just wanted to not lose, Superbowl 42 was the same way. Maybe we need to be second tier for a bit to get it back. If nothing else hopefully it will get the quiet, elitist fans out of Gillette so we can maybe make that place loud for once.

Exactly, and as I stated, let someone else take the constant hate badgering for a while. That load of always being the "whipping boy" is getting kind of heavy now. Let someone else carry that burden, whether it be the Saints, Indy, Minn. or whoever. Sooner or later, they will run out of "venom" to shoot at us, and need a new target.

Living in New Orleans, I warned my Saints fans' friends (who I have to admit, were pretty decent to me in wake of the game, not really any Pats' "haters"), I said look, you are the "media darling" feel good right now, (especially in the wake handling the "hated evil empire" Pats) and will be for the rest of this season. But, I assure you though, that if you have any measure of continued success, similar to the Pats this decade from here on, (which I think will be very difficult for ANY team to replicate what the Pats did) be prepared for the "hate" that is coming your way, and especially from your division and conference rivals. The media likes to build you up only to tear you down again. They will be looking for any little minor thing to rip into you (cough, cough see "Spygate 1 & 2", cough, cough), and scrutinize your team, players, organization, fans etc. Not only that, it is a different world when you become one of the "hunted" (in every aspect), instead of one of the "hunters". It is lonely on top, and all the rest start "gunning" for you.

I welcome a little hiatus from all the scruntiny, expectations, etc. Let someone else (anybody) bear that burden for a little while. Once rested, and reloaded, we will gladly pick it up again, a little later down the line ;)

EZ76

Last edited:
Sooner or later, they will run out of "venom" to shoot at us, and need a new target.

I doubt it. I thought the media got it out of their system after Spygate and Runningupthescoregate but, after taking a year off, they were right back at it with the "Brady Rule".

Same here. It's strange, I don't know quite how to explain it, but I wouldn't mind dropping the expectations and just enjoying watching the team like I used to as opposed to expecting then to be in the Superbowl every year. First time I noticed it was right before Superbowl 39, I didn't really enjoy the game, I just wanted to not lose, Superbowl 42 was the same way. Maybe we need to be second tier for a bit to get it back. If nothing else hopefully it will get the quiet, elitist fans out of Gillette so we can maybe make that place loud for once.

I hope your right. It's a good thing to be humbled now and again. Maybe this will be the swift, hard kick in the ass these guys have needed. Personally, I like being the fan of a serious contender every year and as long as Brady is around I don't feel the need to be rooting for a so-called 2nd-tier team. We've had enough of that in the years leading up to now and I'm sure will have many more when this era has passed. Just ask a 49er fan.

I doubt it. I thought the media got it out of their system after Spygate and Runningupthescoregate but, after taking a year off, they were right back at it with the "Brady Rule".

Brady is such a polarizing figure. The media built him up to a god like level and now they just take every opportunity to kick him down a notch. I mean sure he went from a happy go lucky kid to a guy who doesn't like to give interviews when he loses and marries a supermodel, but that's not really a reason to crap on him constantly.

Exactly, and as I stated, let someone else take the constant hate badgering for a while. That load of always being the "whipping boy" is getting kind of heavy now. Let someone else carry that burden, whether it be the Saints, Indy, Minn. or whoever. Sooner or later, they will run out of "venom" to shoot at us, and need a new target.

Living in New Orleans, I warned my Saints fans' friends (who I have to admit, were pretty decent to me in wake of the game, not really any Pats' "haters"), I said look, you are the "media darling" feel good right now, (especially in the wake handling the "hated evil empire" Pats) and will be for the rest of this season. But, I assure you though, that if you have any measure of continued success, similar to the Pats this decade from here on, (which I think will be very difficult for ANY team to replicate what the Pats did) be prepared for the "hate" that is coming your way, and especially from your division and conference rivals. The media likes to build you up only to tear you down again. They will be looking for any little minor thing to rip into you (cough, cough see "Spygate 1 & 2", cough, cough), and scrutinize your team, players, organization, fans etc. Not only that, it is a different world when you become one of the "hunted" (in every aspect), instead of one of the "hunters". It is lonely on top, and all the rest start "gunning" for you.

I welcome a little hiatus from all the scruntiny, expectations, etc. Let someone else (anybody) bear that burden for a little while. Once rested, and reloaded, we will gladly pick it up again, a little later down the line ;)

EZ76

I'm still waiting for the media to start hammering the Colts and Peyton Manning. This team has been the media darlings all decade and never has to put up with any hate from the media or other fan bases (present company excepted). You would figure that with his weekly memos to the officials and his role in implementing the "Peyton Manning" rule that Polian would start being a target of the media arrows. The lovefest that goes on with them is disgusting.

Sorry Kevin, I'd like to see Brees win an important playoff game before I annoint him as the second coming of ************ himself. A little over the top there, home slice.

I'm still waiting for the media to start hammering the Colts and Peyton Manning. This team has been the media darlings all decade and never has to put up with any hate from the media or other fan bases (present company excepted). You would figure that with his weekly memos to the officials and his role in implementing the "Peyton Manning" rule that Polian would start being a target of the media arrows. The lovefest that goes on with them is disgusting.

I think it's because everyone knows that they are choke artists. If Peyton and the Colts had success in the playoffs, you can bet that the media would have started ripping on them.

Yeh, I agree, but after the pasting we (the "Evil Empire") just took at the hands of the Saints, and the many true "feel good" stories behind them, I kind of think the Saints will oust them as the new "media darling", at least for a whileany way. Now, as I stated, if they have somewhat similar repeated success the Pats had in the early 00's, look for the proverbial daggers to start flying their way. Personally, I don't think ANY team will have the saem success we had for a while. Quite frankly that would be fine by me, if the Saints replaced the Colts as the "media darling" because, maybe as you stated the media would start hurling the long overdue pitchforks in Indy's direction for a change. I'd love nothing more than to see relentless media attacks on Manning, Polian et al, like they did BB, Brady, et al the past few years. It would be poetic justice. Hell, they can't possibly have much left in the tank to attack the Patriots and BB any more.

EZ76

I think it's because everyone knows that they are choke artists. If Peyton and the Colts had success in the playoffs, you can bet that the media would have started ripping on them.

Pats had the biggest playoff choke of all time. The Colts biggest choke was in 05 against Pitt. Correct me if I am mistaken, but I don't believe that the Colts were favored(in Vegas) in the two games against NE during their Super Bowl runs. My guess is that you are referring to these games as two of their choke jobs. Sure, the Colts have had their share of chokes, but so have the Pats. It's not 04 anymore, and the Pats are just like any other good team in the AFC right now. How bout the game ending interception by Brady in the AFCCG, or the debacle in 05 in Denver. Just saying.

Obviously, we are well aware of Bill Polian's rants to the competition committee after the Colts 20-3 playoff loss in NE. However, do you have any articles to backup your claims that Polian sends memos to the officials? If so, can you provide the link?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes