PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welcome back Rosey Colvin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Yeah - I know he's been "back" for awhile - but given the tear he's been on for the last few weeks, I think we can definately say that Rosey is BACK!

There's no telling if the pre-injury Colvin would have been even better, but damn! He's looking pretty darn good right now!

Certainly, our entire defense is making some big plays, and obviously, our front 7 is a BIG help to the secondary, but I would HATE to be an OC going up against the likes of Colvin, Bruschi, Vrabel, McGinest etc right now...

..but to me, having Colvin play the way he has is the icing on the cake when watching our defense hit on all cylandars (to mix my metaphors).

From the horrible Beisel/Brown situation earlier in the year, our LB are now better than ever. In essense we replaced the TJ/Phifer rotation with Colvin (as Vrabel has moved inside and Colvin has been as good, if not better outside than Vrabel was) and that's a big improvement.

It's actually kind of sick thinking about having Willie, Tedy, Colvin and Vrabel at LB - it's an amazing amount of talent there especially when they go after the QB.

BelichickFan said:
From the horrible Beisel/Brown situation earlier in the year, our LB are now better than ever. In essense we replaced the TJ/Phifer rotation with Colvin (as Vrabel has moved inside and Colvin has been as good, if not better outside than Vrabel was) and that's a big improvement.

It's actually kind of sick thinking about having Willie, Tedy, Colvin and Vrabel at LB - it's an amazing amount of talent there especially when they go after the QB.

The current roster of linebackers looks very good, but the main thing we're missing that we did have last year is depth. We knew we could trust Phifer and TJ and even Rosey was a backup/sub last season... but I'm not so sure about Brown and Beisel.

On the plus side, did anyone else notice Brown playing Willie's spot late in the game as he subbed in instead of ILB? I thought this was a positive development as Brown seemed to struggle mightily at ILB. If he can come in as Rosey did last year for McG then I think it'll help preserve Willie who is def showing some age this season. (maybe I'm the only one that's noticed, but he seems so much slower and less agile this season)

I think that McG will have to retire either this offseason or maybe after one more season, and then who do we have behind him? We'll need to draft or sign some starting caliber OLBs or we'll have Tully Banta Cain out there sooner than later. I don't want to see what that would look like..

I'll admit that eight weeks ago I had Colvin on his way out, but since they moved Vrabel inside and giving him more snaps, he's improved tremendously.

I've seen improvement with his hands. He's become a much better hand to hand fighter than last year and that's allowing him to get an extra step before the opposing OL can get their hands on him.

BelichickFan said:

Willie amazes me as well - there were some that thought he was on his way out a few years ago - and sure, you probably want to limit his plays during a game, given his age - but in spite of his age, when he's out there he's a MONSTER!!!

There was a question on Boston.com as to who the player of the game should be. I think they had Brady, Givens, Bruschi and McGinest as choices

But my choices would be from among the LBs - and even there I'd have a tough time giving just one guy kudos. They all had monster plays at different points during the game.

I voted for Bruschi, leading the team in tackles on Saturday, but they all played a big part - and it seems like Vrabel is always the one forcing the fumble or the interception that locks away the victory.

Brownfan80 said:
The current roster of linebackers looks very good, but the main thing we're missing that we did have last year is depth. We knew we could trust Phifer and TJ and even Rosey was a backup/sub last season... but I'm not so sure about Brown and Beisel.

On the plus side, did anyone else notice Brown playing Willie's spot late in the game as he subbed in instead of ILB? I thought this was a positive development as Brown seemed to struggle mightily at ILB. If he can come in as Rosey did last year for McG then I think it'll help preserve Willie who is def showing some age this season. (maybe I'm the only one that's noticed, but he seems so much slower and less agile this season)

I think that McG will have to retire either this offseason or maybe after one more season, and then who do we have behind him? We'll need to draft or sign some starting caliber OLBs or we'll have Tully Banta Cain out there sooner than later. I don't want to see what that would look like..

I saw Brown come in as well. I have not see Monty back on the field. Does he even dress for games?

to willie or not to willie?

JoeSixPat said:
Willie amazes me as well - there were some that thought he was on his way out a few years ago - and sure, you probably want to limit his plays during a game, given his age - but in spite of his age, when he's out there he's a MONSTER!!!

There was a question on Boston.com as to who the player of the game should be. I think they had Brady, Givens, Bruschi and McGinest as choices

But my choices would be from among the LBs - and even there I'd have a tough time giving just one guy kudos. They all had monster plays at different points during the game.

I voted for Bruschi, leading the team in tackles on Saturday, but they all played a big part - and it seems like Vrabel is always the one forcing the fumble or the interception that locks away the victory.
if i'm not careful i wind up thinking bruschi is LB of the day every time. he's so dang active out there. i think he sacrifices his body on half the plays.

but william lee -- billy lee -- that's a tough question.
i understand that he's a workout fanatic. he also missed, oh, 40 games with back and leg injuries in his first 5 years, so he's a relatively low-mileage player. i look at him this year and i think, hope, 2 more years.
if it was a parcells team billy lee would stay as long as he can saddle up and take the field. parcells - and this is seen as a liability for nfl coaches - would let a willie mcginest retire on his own terms, not just cut him like BB did with Roman Phifer.
all warriors grow too old for the game. even george blanda, yaz, jerry rice, nolan ryan, kareem. it's going to be as tough to watch with billie lee as it has been with any of them

mosi said:
I saw Brown come in as well. I have not see Monty back on the field. Does he even dress for games?
Beisel is playing STs and has been at ILB for specific situations - he's now getting the apprenticeship time he needed and I think we'll be happy with him once he's had a full off-season conditioning program to settle him at a proper playing weight for ILB, and more time with the coaches and Bruschi. On the down side for him, Rosie and Vrabes are shaping up very well as starters so he will be playing behind Tedy and Vrabes for the near future.

No doubt, Colvin has been the 2nd Half Defensive MVP. Just a monster out there, and plays with real enthusiasm. I remember I was at the Colts game, and Colvin was the only guy out there trying to get the crowd into it and playing with some real energy.

If as others have said C Brown can get in there and rotate with Willie about 60/40 or whatever, that would be real positive for the playoffs.

I think Colvin is better now than he would have been if he was never injured.

He is a different player, much more phyiscal and better vs the run.

I think he used the rehab to also get stronger in his upper body. He is a complete OLB in every way. I'm not sure I saw him as a force in the running game before he was injured.

AndyJohnson said:
I think Colvin is better now than he would have been if he was never injured.

He is a different player, much more phyiscal and better vs the run.

I think he used the rehab to also get stronger in his upper body. He is a complete OLB in every way. I'm not sure I saw him as a force in the running game before he was injured.

We'll never know but I feel the same way.

In Chicago it was tough to say how playing alongside Urlacher made each of them look better. But here there's been so much movement among our LBs I think he's had no choice but to make himself a more complete player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back