PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Weis' New ND Deal Has a "Herculean" Buyout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amnorix

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Interesting. Didn't see this posted previously so hopefully not a repeat. I'm thrilled to have CW stay at ND and not come into the NFL. BB pipeline guys who are in the college ranks HELP us (by helping to identify potential draftees, and potential weaknesses of players that they may have recently played against who are now in the NFL). Conversely, they HURT us when they are in the NFL, because they try to institute similar philosophies and draft similar players.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/5613238

Last edited by a moderator:
Amnorix said:
Interesting. Didn't see this posted previously so hopefully not a repeat. I'm thrilled to have CW stay at ND and not come into the NFL. BB pipeline guys who are in the college ranks HELP us (by helping to identify potential draftees, and potential weaknesses of players that they may have recently played against who are now in the NFL). Conversely, they HURT us when they are in the NFL, because they try to institute similar philosophies and draft similar players.

Charlie's a proud man and at some level it must hurt him to see how things have changed for Belichick's assistants and associates.

When he was busting a gut (pun intended) to try to get a head coaching job in the NFL, the smart guys around the league were saying that BB's assistants were just making up the numbers and Charlie was overlooked. Then the mood changed so that a young guy with just one year's experience as DC ends up as a head coach. Who can doubt that Charlie would have been a better choice than some of those he was passed over for (Nolan, Mularkey?)

I don't think that that means that he'll want to rush back into the NFL. If his success with Notre Dame became overwhelming, though, I think he would be tempted (and I'm sure there would be a team desperate enough for success to pay whatever it took).

Amnorix said:

Weis is probably the most overrated college coach in America. Just about every ND coach has a great first year. Weis knows this and will likely be in the NFL within 3 years. The coach I want to stay out of the NFL and stay in college is Urban Meyer. He would make a NFL team into a powerhouse and be a legitimate nemesis to BB.

Charlie a Cowboy?

I was surfing a few days ago and came across an article by a Dallas reporter who was speculating that this will be Parcells' last year in Dallas and wouldn't Charlie Weiss be a great replacement. I know it's just idle speculation but I would hate that.

Even though I never wanted Willingham gone (and really, I was dissapointed in my school in the weeks following) I always thought the CW deal was just his way of saying to the NFL "I'm coming back, just not for a couple years, so stop asking me." If he's smart he rides Quinn and the new kid Clausen to a national title or two and bumps up his salary when he does return to the NFL.

Jacky Roberts said:
Weis is probably the most overrated college coach in America. Just about every ND coach has a great first year. Weis knows this and will likely be in the NFL within 3 years.

We'll see...Weis inherited an uncommonly weak ND roster, while his own first recruiting class is reportedly spectacular. There's every reason to think the team will continue to improve under him.

Jacky Roberts said:
Weis is probably the most overrated college coach in America. Just about every ND coach has a great first year. Weis knows this and will likely be in the NFL within 3 years. The coach I want to stay out of the NFL and stay in college is Urban Meyer. He would make a NFL team into a powerhouse and be a legitimate nemesis to BB.

Let me guess -- you also thought Weis sucked as an OC, until the SBs kept piling up...?

Amnorix said:
Let me guess -- you also thought Weis sucked as an OC, until the SBs kept piling up...?

Some guys are just built to be coordinators. Rod Rust is a classic example. I thought he was a great OC, but I think the head coach had a lot more to do with those SB's that Charlie did.

Jacky Roberts said:
Some guys are just built to be coordinators. Rod Rust is a classic example. I thought he was a great OC, but I think the head coach had a lot more to do with those SB's that Charlie did.

I agree that BB had more to do with those SBs than Charlie did. Ditto for RAC.

But until CW has had a chance as a head coach, how can you possibly know that he will fail? Indeed, all evidence points the other way, taking what NOBODY considered a very talented Notre Dame team and taking a big step forward with the program.

It also seems that he has some talent at recruiting, in that he got what most experts deemed a very, very good crop of HS talent to commit to ND.

And, last but certainly not least -- I think the statement that "some guys are just built to be coordinators" was the VERY widespread belief about a guy named Belichick not so long ago...

Jacky Roberts said:

your crazy...Weis took Notre Dame to a major bowl in the first year with someone elses players. He had a top 2 recruiting class and has already got several verbals from the best of the best high school players in the country. Urban Myers is a good college coach, but he does not hold a candle to Steve Spurior...and you see how old Steve ended up in the pros. College success does not translate into success in the pros, but pro success does translate into college success.

Boston Boxer said:
your crazy...Weis took Notre Dame to a major bowl in the first year with someone elses players. He had a top 2 recruiting class and has already got several verbals from the best of the best high school players in the country. Urban Myers is a good college coach, but he does not hold a candle to Steve Spurior...and you see how old Steve ended up in the pros. College success does not translate into success in the pros, but pro success does translate into college success.

So did Ty Willingham, so what? I know a lot of Domers who thought Ty was the next Ara Parseghian, too. Given the choice, I'd take Meyer over Weis, but thats just me.

Jacky Roberts said:
So did Ty Willingham, so what? I know a lot of Domers who thought Ty was the next Ara Parseghian, too. Given the choice, I'd take Meyer over Weis, but thats just me.

Myers or Weis? No contest, give me charlie any day.

Jacky Roberts said:
So did Ty Willingham, so what? I know a lot of Domers who thought Ty was the next Ara Parseghian, too.
I was at ND when Ty took over. My friends and I thought it just proved how bad a coach Bob Davies was. :rofl:
Ty won the student body over, no doubt. He's a very personable guy. But he was never the first, second or third choice of the alums.

Justice said:
I was at ND when Ty took over. My friends and I thought it just proved how bad a coach Bob Davies was. :rofl:
Ty won the student body over, no doubt. He's a very personable guy. But he was never the first, second or third choice of the alums.

What Davies and Ty did to the Notre Dame football program will take years to reverse...they just about ran it into the ground.

Boston Boxer said:
What Davies and Ty did to the Notre Dame football program will take years to reverse...they just about ran it into the ground.
I don't totally agree with you on that one. I'll agree that Ty didn't leave the team stacked by any means (but you'd have to figure no coach leaves a team loaded - they bolt when the talent does or they get fired), but I always thought he left it better than he found it. He got guys like Quinn and Zbikowski to South Bend and a young guy like Darius Walker has got 2 years left. And even if he didn't know how to use him, at least he pulled in a hidden gem like Samardzija. Davies was too intent on trying to be Lou Holtz to be his own man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes