Weis named College Football Coach of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

groundgame

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Congratulations and well deserved!

Weis wins Eddie Robinson coaching awardAssociated Press

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis received the Eddie Robinson Award as the nation's top college football coach on Sunday.

The award, given by the Football Writers Association of America, was presented at the final Fiesta Bowl news conference. Weis' Fighting Irish meet Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl on Monday.

Weis guided Notre Dame to a 9-2 record in his first season at the school after being lured from the New England Patriots, where as offensive coordinator he helped the team win three Super Bowls in four seasons.

"I'll accept the award, but on behalf of the University of Notre Dame, not on behalf of Charlie Weis," he said.

He praised the school for providing him with the means to be successful.

"It all started after they hired me," Weis said, "giving me the resources to go hire what I feel was the best group of assistant coaches. Those guys, together with me, I thought, provided some pretty good guidence for a great group of kids who really stepped up and had an admirable year."

Last edited:
This is not surprising and is well deserved!

What is surprising is that Mikey did not post this!

Think about it...pretty cool that Weis is college coach of the year and although Brady will not get the MVP, they both had stellar years away from one another.

Goes to show you how GREAT both truly are...with and without each other.

Weis puts fight back in Irish

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2002716024_grid02.html?syndication=rss

He practically had them at hello.

Those who wonder how coach Charlie Weis restored the aura of Notre Dame football in one season merely needed a seat at his first team meeting after he was hired in December 2004.

A 1978 Notre Dame graduate who didn't play football, Weis is the owner of four Super Bowl rings as an assistant with the New York Giants and New England Patriots. He spared no feelings in the initial team meeting. He told the Fighting Irish there was a reason they had a new coach — because they had gone 5-7 and 6-6 the previous two seasons. Weis said, "If you want to get rid of me in a hurry, keep putting up records like that."

Junior defensive end Victor Abiamiri said, "It was the eye-opener to his character. He didn't yell one time. He said, very matter-of-factly, 'I'm tired of all the excuses Notre Dame has for not winning. There's no reason this shouldn't be a winning team every season and shouldn't be a major-college program competing for the national championship.' He basically said, 'Things are going to change around here.' "

Junior strong safety Tom Zbikowski said Weis "told us what he felt. He told us what we needed to hear. It opened my eyes, seeing that our team chemistry wasn't where it should have been. The bickering and fighting with each other had to stop if we were going to be a good team."

Way to go, Charlie! Just from an interest perspective, I know I watched almost all of their games this year, and I had never sought out an ND game before in my life.

oldrover said:
Way to go, Charlie! Just from an interest perspective, I know I watched almost all of their games this year, and I had never sought out an ND game before in my life.

I watched all of their games this year too. I always avoided ND because of all the hype surrounding them. Congrats to Charlie!!

Been a ND fan since 1969 and think that Charlie will restore them to their former glory. My only hope is that he does not get enticed to the NFL, while I think he is an outstanding college coach he will only be mediocre in the NFL. No specific reason, just a hunch.

Awesome. I am really happy for Charlie, who is a genuine good guy and I can't think of anyone more deserving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes