PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Weird Reiss tidbit on Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
What Reiss is saying that Brady wasn't on the sideline because he is speculating that if he was that MNF would put him on screen a million times showing that he isn't playing, not that he is hiding because he has a significant injury. Even without Brady, there were plenty of camera shots and discussions by Turico and Gruden about starters who didn't play. If Brady was there, it would have been increased tenfold.

I personally think that Belichick might have been showcasing Mallet last night in hopes of a potential trade. MNF flashing to Brady every ten minutes wouldn't help that cause.

I think he was giving our backups reps against a team during their 'dress rehearsal' as its the closest most of them will see to a real game this year while not putting Brady behind an OL 2/5 complete and still in transition. Not to mention with another game in 4 days followed by the season opener a little over a week after that.

Nobody is trading for Hoyer or Mallet, people need to get that out of their heads. Hoyer will be a FA (albeit probably a coveted one, still not worth trading for, noone has truly shown they need an unproven QB at the moment) and Mallet might not even beat Sanchez out of a QB competition at the moment. Our backups aren't the 2nd and 3rd best QBs in this division as some posters like to think.

MNF flashing to Brady also wouldn't do anything good or bad for Mallet, other teams don't get their scouting report from the ESPN broadcast. Brady being on camera would only help hide some of the ugly play by Mallet at times to the publics eye.

Last edited:
I don't see why it's such a stretch, honestly, how often does Brady not play? Never.

The only times beforehand Brady hasn't been in the stadium during a game is while he was injured in 2008. Brady wasn't in the stadium tonight, so he compared the two situations.

NE is playing 3 games in 10 days.

I take it as Brady resting his arm for this stretch (especially game 3) and the regular season.

One of those 2+2 = 5674567578678434234570789.34534534676 pieces if ever I read one.

Ah, the perils of 24/7 media.

When you consider the thousands of words that Reiss pumps out every week, it's no wonder that he screws up once in a while and puts out some bad writing. As far as I can see, that's all this is.

He clearly meant to write something like, "Belichick doesn't like Brady to be a distraction on the sideline when his backups are playing in his place, so he asked him to stay away tonight. Tonight Brady's just getting a rest; the last time this happened was when Matt took over from a then injured TB in 2008." Instead he gave us a convoluted mishmash that he was probably in too much of a hurry to correct.

Last edited:
Pasfan74 has it, its very clear too.

If Brady is not going to play then Belichick does not want him on the sideline. How people are reaching a conclusion that this means that Reiss is saying that Brady is injured is beyond me.

egads.......everyone knew he wasn't playing

he's the number one guy on a team that ceertainly has a pecking order.

not having him there so that there aren't cameras running around all over the sideline would make the most sense to me in that moment.

I think I heard them saying that Brady was off to the side on Friday, playing reps with Lloyd, Welker, Edelmen, and one or two others and they were running full speed routes and Gruden said he was looking as sharp as he had every seen him.

:confused::confused:

Chalk it up to an off day for Reiss.

Hoodie: "Hey, Meal Ticket. You're not playing tonight."

Brady: "What?!? Aw, c'mon, Emperor Palpatine! You know I'm competitive at everything! I wanna kick some ass!"

Hoodie: "Yeah, I know you. I also know we play four nights from now in a hot enemy stadium filled with giant flying bugs. Palmetto bugs my ass, those are giant flying roaches."

Brady: "Can't I at least play a series or two?"

Hoodie: "With that mishmash of crap I'm putting out there on the O-line? Have you been sniffing too many perfume cards from the magazines Giselle's pics are in?!? They'd be picking you up off the turf with a Squeegee and a Shamwow, and the media will rightfully crucify me. Not to mention the drunk guy who signs my paycheck will rip me a new one for killing the golden goose in a fake game."

Brady: "Oh. Well, if I can't play, I don't wanna watch it."

Hoodie: "What, you think you're special? You think just because you're a veteran you don't have to be here?"

Brady: (points to Brian Waters' empty locker)

Hoodie: "Good point, smartass. Get the hell out of here. At least I don't have to watch Mallet and Hoyer look at you after every play like the stupid kid trying to cheat off the final exam from the MENSA Club member in front of him. Besides, it'll drive the media nuts. Hey, do me a favor; limp to your car. I love watching those rat bastards foam at the mouth for no reason."

He was probably working on mechanics at the facility. He is a guy who likes to take every snap I wouldn't be surprised if he refused to stand on the sideline if he couldn't play.

Plus you want to see Mallet play without going back to Brady after every series. Brady would read the defense from the sideline and give that to Mallet and then the coaches get less of a read on Mallets mental development as a quarterback.

Reies just needed something to write about.. I mean Gisele could of been having an ultra sound, he could of already left for Tampa Bay early to be rested for practice today.

Point there are hundreds of logical reasons he wasn't on the sideline.

Last edited:
How people are reaching a conclusion that this means that Reiss is saying that Brady is injured is beyond me.

Because it is worded oddly and if you read it wrong the first time it might seem like he's saying Brady is dead.

if it already hasn't been mentioned brady was up stairs in what looked like a co-ordinators box with a set of head phones on, and not the type you listen to music with. It looked like he was listening to the offensive call then watching the play unfold.

^^^^Good information here. How do you know this? If it was mentioned during the broadcast I didn't see it, granted I didn't watch it in it's entirety. Though if ESPN knew this, I can't believe they wouldn't have cut to a shot of him up there early on.

egads.......everyone knew he wasn't playing

he's the number one guy on a team that ceertainly has a pecking order.

not having him there so that there aren't cameras running around all over the sideline would make the most sense to me in that moment.

This really has nothing to do with cameras. The NFL and the Patriots designate, well in advance of any particular game, which and how many cameras are on the sideline. Some are by contract with the broadcast network others are from NFL Films and others are by contract with local and national media. It's not left to chance and it's certainly not left to Gameday.

All must do their work in clearly designated locations, which do not include the area occupied by the team during the game unless it's NFL films or the network broadcasting the game or a photographer who has a special, one-off arrangement for a particular game or reason.

There is no chance that a bunch of video or still photographers can just decide, "Hey, Tom Brady's standing on the sideline, I think I'll go down to field level, walk past security, get on the field and enter the team's protected area."

If you want to see how Mallett and Hoyer perform, remove Brady from the sidelines.. as that is the only way that they will be playing. Let them figure it out with the coaching staff...

The last practice that was open to the press he was throwing on the sideline.. injury makes no sense.

^^^^Good information here. How do you know this? If it was mentioned during the broadcast I didn't see it, granted I didn't watch it in it's entirety. Though if ESPN knew this, I can't believe they wouldn't have cut to a shot of him up there early on.
They did cut to a shot of him twice, at least it looked like him wearing a pats hat with head phones on.

if it already hasn't been mentioned brady was up stairs in what looked like a co-ordinators box with a set of head phones on, and not the type you listen to music with. It looked like he was listening to the offensive call then watching the play unfold.

You mean "...he was listening to the offensive call then watching the offensive line fold." Right?

I just saw Brady a few minutes ago at the Penthouse Club on Westshore getting lunch. He said he flew down here early so he could get acclimated to the strip clubs before his team mates. He had both arms in a sling because he wants to give his shoulders extra rest.

Last edited:
I just saw Brady a few minutes ago at the Penthouse Club on Westshore getting lunch. He said he flew down here early so he could get acclimated to the strip clubs before his team mates. He had both arms in a sling because he wants to give his shoulders extra rest.

He's doing better than when I saw him. When I saw him, both arms were chopped off and he was in a wheelchair.

Probably just siturational football. Let the offense operate without Brady on the sideline -- see what leadership emerges and how well they solve problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back