PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Weird Emotions

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Pats lose and the Colts win, there will be serious debate by those who already hate our team, that the Colts are the true dynasty of this era, and the Pats "tainted" SBs should have been belonged to the Indy Poliannas anyway. This debate will grow and the echo will change forever the perception of the Pats past victories in football history.

Not true. In all the months since the taping incident happened, I have yet to hear even one cogent, rational explanation of how the videotaping significantly would have helped the Patriots. Mostly I hear whining.

Now whining can take you a ways. But it doesn't truly taint the Super Bowl victories nor will it convince people from an historical perspective that the Patriots didn't earn those SB victories.

Again, I'm looking at this from an historical perspective i.e. a few years out. The Patriots have no concerns from that perspective, IMO. In fact, even at this point - a few months out - lots of people (but not all) have put aside their dismay and righteous indignation to realize what I just expressed - the cheating scandal was a tempest in a teapot and is only considered significant because of media overexposure, the stature of the Patriots and a heavy-handed commissioner.

IMO 16-0 is meaningless, it's icing on the cake if you will. The goal for this season and every season is to win the SB, anything short of that is failure to a certain degree. It's playoff time and if they do go on to win, you can then talk about the season as a whole with the 16-0 and all the records as bookends to the Lombardi Trophy.

I don't think 16-0 is meaningless. It's an exciting and memorable part of the chase. But I do agree with you that it has to be in context of winning that 4th Lombardi. That SB victory is the whole purpose. It's kinda like chasing women. It starts with some casual flirtation. Then it progresses to some wining and dining, maybe some some soft music and a slow dance. Next thing you know she's telling you she had a good time and inviting you inside. The tension and the whole anticipation thing are building toward your ultimate purpose--the score! C'mon. Admit it. The chase is thrilling but without the climax it's unfulfilling!

Now imagine the girl you are chasing is Jess Alba. And instead of it being anonymous to the rest of the world, you find yourself in all the tabloids having been seen with her. All your friends know. Everyone's watching. What's more, she's invited you in and you've got her clothes off. You're rounding third base...

That's the situation the Pats are in right now. They HAVE TO seal the deal! Problem is the playing field is no longer equal. They've already brought the most beautiful girl to the party and put everyone in the room on notice that they're gonna bang her. Everybody's watching. For them to succeed now they have to do it with the prom queen (no pun intended) while the rest of the field could win simply by scoring with the zit-faced sister. :D

Not true. In all the months since the taping incident happened, I have yet to hear even one cogent, rational explanation of how the videotaping significantly would have helped the Patriots.

And you never will. All I know is that Mike Shanahan, considered one of the best coaches in the league, openly said back in '01 or '02 that he had scouts in the stands stealing signals during games and Denver used them DURING the game.....and his team went 7-9 this year, his 2nd-worst season in Denver. So much for the power of signal-stealing.

Weird time. I think everyone will largely be on board with (1) but not (2) and (3).

1) We haven't played a game that was critical to winning the Superbowl since 12/9 against Pittsburgh. That's a month ago. Sure we had to win some games to round out the season but once we beat Pittsburgh the #1 seed was a virtual lock. Sure we've played some big undefeated games but it's weird to be back to a game that matters for a possible Superbowl win.

2) God help me but I'll be OK with this season if we don't win the Superbowl. Now, winning it is humongous - it makes us the greatest team and dynasty ever (certainly since the SB started) IMO. However a 16-0 regular season has never been done before. An undefeated regular season hasn't been done in 35 years. And I'll be damned if I'll look back at this as a lost season if we lose one of the next three games.

3) Again, God help me but if the Patriots get knocked out I might root for the Colts. Certainly over Jax, Dallas, Seattle, NYG and SD. Not sure about GB. I hate the Colts, I hate Manning and going from one time winners to back to back winners would be HUGE for them. But. I've spent the last month explaining to people why they suck for hating the Patriots and Brady for being so good and telling them that they should celebrate greatness, not be jealous of it. And to be consistent with that, and I do believe it, how can I root for schmucks like Romo, Rivers, Ellie, etc, over Peyton who, while I don't like him, is clearly a championship quality QB.

Having some doubts are we? We I tell ya this its ok after the Pats lose this weekend, we will welcome you with open arms over at Colts.com:singing:

Having some doubts are we? We I tell ya this its ok after the Pats lose this weekend, we will welcome you with open arms over at Colts.com:singing:

You should take them now.

Sure looks like a lot of Patriots "fans" are cooked.

Now that the playoffs are here, anybody know a good Patriots discussion board?

Weird time. I think everyone will largely be on board with (1) but not (2) and (3).

1) We haven't played a game that was critical to winning the Superbowl since 12/9 against Pittsburgh. That's a month ago. Sure we had to win some games to round out the season but once we beat Pittsburgh the #1 seed was a virtual lock. Sure we've played some big undefeated games but it's weird to be back to a game that matters for a possible Superbowl win.

2) God help me but I'll be OK with this season if we don't win the Superbowl. Now, winning it is humongous - it makes us the greatest team and dynasty ever (certainly since the SB started) IMO. However a 16-0 regular season has never been done before. An undefeated regular season hasn't been done in 35 years. And I'll be damned if I'll look back at this as a lost season if we lose one of the next three games.

3) Again, God help me but if the Patriots get knocked out I might root for the Colts. Certainly over Jax, Dallas, Seattle, NYG and SD. Not sure about GB. I hate the Colts, I hate Manning and going from one time winners to back to back winners would be HUGE for them. But. I've spent the last month explaining to people why they suck for hating the Patriots and Brady for being so good and telling them that they should celebrate greatness, not be jealous of it. And to be consistent with that, and I do believe it, how can I root for schmucks like Romo, Rivers, Ellie, etc, over Peyton who, while I don't like him, is clearly a championship quality QB.

1.) I disagree - every game was big as while no player will admit it, this team committed itself to a perfect season back after Game 1 when players and pundits questioned whether they deserved their previous 3 SB rings. As such the Pats were facing increasing pressure in every game including and especially the Giants game - and the pressure goes up in the playoffs. They are better battle tested going into the playoffs than any other team because of that.

2.) As with my #1 point, this team intends on winning every game this season including the playoffs - and winning a SB is their goal. If they don't do it they failed to meet their goal and no one in the locker room is going to feel any differently.

I happen to agree with you that 16-0 is an accomplishment worthy of celebrating all on its own 42 teams have won a Super Bowl. Until this year NO ONE had ever gone 16-0. But being undefeated in the regular season and falling short in the playoffs takes away from that accomplishment - there's no way around it. And that's pressure that might not be welcome by all in the clubhouse.

If the Patriots got knocked out I think I'd root for Green Bay. I actually respect what the Colts have done this year, evolving into a complete team and overcoming injuries. But I can't root for them.

Last edited:
1) We haven't played a game that was critical to winning the Superbowl since 12/9 against Pittsburgh.

I worry about war, debt and pestilence, but not about this team coming out unprepared for a playoff game.

regular season to me, means very little in terms of importance. Rings mean much more. 16-0, great. 4 championships in 6 years, greatest....

4 championships in 6 years, greatest....
4 in 7 is what it would be.

FYI, I'm not having doubts, I'm very confident. VERY confident. Just expressing how I feel should disaster strike.

If it's not us, I will cheer for ANYONE but the Colt's, including {gulp........} Dallas :eek:

Outside that, I did agree with #1 :)

A SB win is a must. The jackals, hyenas and carrion birds are just waiting to pounce. They will descend on this team in a frightening onslaught if our boys should lose.

If the Pats lose and the Colts win, there will be serious debate by those who already hate our team, that the Colts are the true dynasty of this era, and the Pats "tainted" SBs should have been belonged to the Indy Poliannas anyway. This debate will grow and the echo will change forever the perception of the Pats past victories in football history.

For that reason, the only thing worse than the Pats not winning the SB would be the Colts winning it.

Also, I have to laugh at Pats fans who seem to have developed a strange Pavlov dog's attachment to the Poliannas.

This is the franchise whose greedy, despicable ownership (whose heir still runs the team) destroyed a generation of the best football fans in America.

This is the franchise whose manipulation of rules committees have changed the physical punishing game of football we grew up with into a ****ified arena league where even an old school die hard like BB had to change his ways to have a chance to win.

This is the franchise that ruined our chance to tie the Steelers as the only team ever to win 4 in 6, and did so under questionable circumstances.

This is the franchise whose hypocrtical Jesus complex coach called our team and coach a disgrace and suggested the Patriots were the Barry Bonds of football, jumping to kick us when we were down.

This is the franchise that believes God himself was on their righteous side in allowing them to win the SB, and announced so at the SB podium following their pathetic slog fest vs. the Chicago putzes.

I despise the Colts, and grind my teeth when Patriot fans et. al. leap to their defense like good Pavlov dogs jumping through hoops.

I like this post. I really like this post. :rocker: Good stuff, Pony Express.

Perfect or just plain undefeated...

The word stood out like like a 300 lb. linebacker in a Prius.

undefeated

I was at ESPN.com and there was a banner ad from Smart Water giving kudos to their front man Tom Brady on, not a perfect season but an undefeated season. The cogs in mi’ noggin started churnin’. I’ve always believed that it’s not what someone says but doesn’t say that says a lot. In my mind, I do not think the Patriots season should ever be regarded as a perfect season. I am not talking purely football-wise, but also from the point of view of the purity of sport.

Yup, I know after a year of Landis, Bonds and Jones who am I to expect any sport is truly pure. But I believe a team can only have a perfect season if their performance, beyond a shadow of a doubt, from Game 1 to 16, their entire body of work, was pure. Imagine how we would feel if we found out that Michael Jordan took a needle in any one game, or Schumacher at any one track, or God forbid my namesake Muhammad Ali before the Thrilla or any one fight?! The wonderful uncertainty of sport is stolen when this happens. Any Given Sunday, becomes Any Given Needle.

I watched the Patriots win last Saturday night against the other New York team, I saw the glimmer of a smile from coach Belichick, Brady finally flashed the 16-0 million dollar smile, Randy Moss was…well, Randy Moss. Happiness was flowing like water that night in New York. But I like many others just could not shake that feeling that has tailed this team since game one against the Jets.

The man was found guilty of spying.

Half a million dollars worth of guilt!!!!!!

Bill Belichick cheated a stadium of people, the NFL, the Jets and everyone that was watching that game, of it’s purity. Just like Landis, Jones, Bonds and Clemens. For whatever reason, Belichick cheated, and that’s that. So what does the team do to absolve their coach. They win every single game to prove, we don’t need no stinkin’ cameras. We can do this on grit, talent, strategy and mental toughness. Which, it SEEMS they did. The Patriots in their pursuit to absolve their coach, beat down every single team that crossed their path. Magnificently so. But at the end of the day, they still cheated from Game one. Then Game 16 rolled around.

The first time the men on ESPN’s the Blitz (Tom Jackson and Chris Berman) saluted the Pat’s achievement I could not help but feeling, what empty claps they were. They were claps dipped in doubt. Yes the game’s entertainment value has gone up in spades and this will probably be the Super Bowl with the highest ratings in history, but this season has been tarred in spying and in feathered in doubt.

After the the Barry Bonds stink was raised, doubt like a shadow followed every swing. The viewing public, hungry for entertainment got what they wanted a new home-run king, a new undefeated team and the loss of the purity of another sport.

Virgins we no longer are, entertainment harlots we have become.

I don't care if people think I'm a pathetic loser, if we do lose in the playoffs, I'm buying some 16-0 stuff.

Of course, I'm really saving for the massive influx of 19-0 shirts, etc.
these type of topics can be discussed all off season, im surprised at you belichick fan talking about defeat before the play offs shame on you, not good!

We gotta go all the way. The thing is, it's so hard to get back, or reproduce a position like this, you never know if you're even going to make the playoffs next year (OK, in the AFC East, you get there, but will you be good enough to advance?). Three super bowls should not be it for this team, and there's no time like the present to make it four. Also, if they leave it undone this year, the letdown would be, if not horrific, then pretty ******* bad. I'd bet Coach Bill is working this angle.

Re: Perfect or just plain undefeated...

The word stood out like like a 300 lb. linebacker in a Prius.

undefeated

I was at ESPN.com and there was a banner ad from Smart Water giving kudos to their front man Tom Brady on, not a perfect season but an undefeated season. The cogs in mi’ noggin started churnin’. I’ve always believed that it’s not what someone says but doesn’t say that says a lot. In my mind, I do not think the Patriots season should ever be regarded as a perfect season. I am not talking purely football-wise, but also from the point of view of the purity of sport.

Yup, I know after a year of Landis, Bonds and Jones who am I to expect any sport is truly pure. But I believe a team can only have a perfect season if their performance, beyond a shadow of a doubt, from Game 1 to 16, their entire body of work, was pure. Imagine how we would feel if we found out that Michael Jordan took a needle in any one game, or Schumacher at any one track, or God forbid my namesake Muhammad Ali before the Thrilla or any one fight?! The wonderful uncertainty of sport is stolen when this happens. Any Given Sunday, becomes Any Given Needle.

I watched the Patriots win last Saturday night against the other New York team, I saw the glimmer of a smile from coach Belichick, Brady finally flashed the 16-0 million dollar smile, Randy Moss was…well, Randy Moss. Happiness was flowing like water that night in New York. But I like many others just could not shake that feeling that has tailed this team since game one against the Jets.

The man was found guilty of spying.

Half a million dollars worth of guilt!!!!!!

Bill Belichick cheated a stadium of people, the NFL, the Jets and everyone that was watching that game, of it’s purity. Just like Landis, Jones, Bonds and Clemens. For whatever reason, Belichick cheated, and that’s that. So what does the team do to absolve their coach. They win every single game to prove, we don’t need no stinkin’ cameras. We can do this on grit, talent, strategy and mental toughness. Which, it SEEMS they did. The Patriots in their pursuit to absolve their coach, beat down every single team that crossed their path. Magnificently so. But at the end of the day, they still cheated from Game one. Then Game 16 rolled around.

The first time the men on ESPN’s the Blitz (Tom Jackson and Chris Berman) saluted the Pat’s achievement I could not help but feeling, what empty claps they were. They were claps dipped in doubt. Yes the game’s entertainment value has gone up in spades and this will probably be the Super Bowl with the highest ratings in history, but this season has been tarred in spying and in feathered in doubt.

After the the Barry Bonds stink was raised, doubt like a shadow followed every swing. The viewing public, hungry for entertainment got what they wanted a new home-run king, a new undefeated team and the loss of the purity of another sport.

Some advice:

1. fill bathub
2. take out rusty razor
3. cut wrists

thanks.:)

Take a deep breath. Walk away from the window. There, wasn't that easier?

I like this post. I really like this post. :rocker: Good stuff, Pony Express.
Agreed. Fits my viewpoint entirely. We have to win out here, folks. Remember that great Minnesota team (w/ Moss) which had a 15-1 regular season record and was upset by Atlanta in the NFC championship? Well, nobody remembers them anymore. We have to finish the deal here.

I will never root for this Colts team.

Re: Perfect or just plain undefeated...

Your eloquence is laudable but your reasoning is laughable. So the mighty BB and his host of rampaging Patriots raped you and your household and took their virginity? HA! If you are so horrified at this, his initial offense, you must go now before it is altogether too late. Go now and lock up your daughter, lock up your wife, lock up your back door, and run for your life. The man is back in town and he don't mess around Jag off.

Make no mistake. We are coming~not just to win~but to utterly destroy your pathetic team and burn their blood stained carcasses in a heap in front of the entire nation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes