Welcome to PatsFans.com

Weekend Getaway

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by fleabassist1, Jul 20, 2009.

1. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

So the girlfriend and myself are planning a weekend trip - from Friday to Monday(ish). Any ideas on where to go in the north east area...? Have you ever gone on any interesting/different vacations?

Let me know, I'm looking for ideas!
  2. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +84 / 2 / -2

Well, it's not until Labor Day weekend but I'm a big fan of the Rythm and Roots Festival in Charlestown RI - it's not exceptionally well known but it's a fun weekend with good Cajun and Blues music.

Rhythm and Roots Festival - Home

Honestly this is not one of the better line ups in my opinion - they've had stronger acts in the past - but Hot Tuna, Tab Benoit, and of course the standard "house" band of Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys will be good entertainment. Usually I find that some of the bands I've never heard of are outstanding.

An "early bird special" is $145 for concert access all weekend including camping down by the ocean adjacent to Ninigret National Wildlife Refuge. So you've also got a home base with access to beaches from Westerly to Narragansett, great restaurants, and other activities... overall there's not a ton of stuff in that neck of the woods as South County RI has been left largely undeveloped... kindof what Cape Cod used to be like 40 years ago.

So for the cost of a hotel room for one night on the East Coast in the Summer you've got 3 days of excellent music (if you like New Orleans music), and camping, and access to other attractions (i.e. Block Island for the day).

I've never actually camped there (I have camped at Burlingame State Park - a nice car camping spot as well) - Ninigret also has bike paths, walking paths (lots of wildlife with other Refuges nearby) tennis courts, and even a decent astronomy observatory (it's one of the few dark spots on the East Coast south of Boston).
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2009