PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week Three TV Maps are out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can understand the NFL only allowing the home area's team to be on TV while they are playing, but when will they wake up to the fact that TWO games should ALWAYS be on in the other Sunday slot? The whole point of their TV marketing campaign is to get people to watch NFL on TV, then they stiff the fans by hiding behind the only-one-network-per-Sunday-gets-a-doubleheader BS. Don't blast me over and over with commercials about how great watching the NFL is then not give me a little more to actually watch!

It's a thinly disguised attempt to force more people to buy Sunday Ticket, which the NFL just foolishly and selfishly handed over to satellite TV only for another 5+ years!!!

How much money is enough, NFL? And, BTW, is it possible to squeeze in a few more commercials during each broadcast, please?:eek:

Last edited:
Wow what a surprise...I live in maryland and get stuck with cleveland @ Baltimore (can't figure that one out j/k) but then I have the joy of watching washington @ detroit. I can't wait....I am actually picking Detroit in this game.

I can understand the NFL only allowing the home area's team to be on TV while they are playing, but when will they wake up to the fact that TWO games should ALWAYS be on in the other Sunday slot? The whole point of their TV marketing campaign is to get people to watch NFL on TV, then they stiff the fans by hiding behind the only-one-network-per-Sunday-gets-a-doubleheader BS. Don't blast me over and over with commercials about how great watching the NFL is then not give me a little more to actually watch!

It's a thinly disguised attempt to force more people to buy Sunday Ticket, which the NFL just foolishly and selfishly handed over to satellite TV only for another 5+ years!!!

How much money is enough, NFL? And, BTW, is it possible to squeeze in a few more commercials during each broadcast, please?:eek:
I agree. If the NFL is not going to allow for another game to be on tv in the market that the team is playing at home, then play two games in the other time slot in that market, regardless of which network has the 'doubleheader' nationally that week. NFL fans end up getting penalized when the local team is home in regards to what games are on tv. Adding that game would generate additional advertising revenue for the NFL's business partners (the networks) and also please their customers (fans.) Seems like a simple win-win situation to me.

The issue in CT is the majority its population is on the SW side of CT and the NE side that's closer to boston is pretty much farmland and Uconn. The CT fox station must of decided to show the Giants because of it. It's sad that they'll only show the Pats when they are winning superbowls, so much for being the New England patriots.

Can someone insert the images of the maps here? I can't view these links from where I am at, thanks.
The site owner seems to have copy-protected the images, so I can't insert them here. Where are you in Florida? It looks like the only part of Florida that will get the Pats game is the Miami television market including Ft Lauderdale and the Keys on WSVN, and Tallahasse on WTLH. Fort Meyers, Tampa, Orlando, Daytona Beach and Gainseville get the Giants-Bucs while Jacksonville gets the Saints-Bills game late on Fox, Dolphins-Chargers late on CBS, and Jaguars-Texans early on CBS.

It's also ridiculos that when the Pats are at home and CBS has the late game,we get only ONE game at 1pm and ONE at 4pm..........anyone know why this is?

Even weirder is that, down here in RI (which is only minutes away from Gillette) we'll get a 1pm Jets game, but in southern NH (which is hours away from Gillette) the 1pm CBS is blacked out.

Even weirder is that, down here in RI (which is only minutes away from Gillette) we'll get a 1pm Jets game, but in southern NH (which is hours away from Gillette) the 1pm CBS is blacked out.
One of those goofy things due to where Foxboro is located and where the television stations are. Southern New Hampshire gets its CBS signal from WBZ in Boston. The Jets-Titans game is blacked out on WBZ because the Pats are at home. The Boston television market is considered to be the primary television market for the Pats games, so WBZ can't show the Jets (or any other) game on CBS. WPRI out of Providence is considered a secondary market (even though both Providence and Boston are about the same distance to Foxboro) so they get to air the game even though the Pats are at home at the same time. The alternative would be to consider both stations as primary markets for Pats games; consider yourself lucky that they don't do that.

The issue in CT is the majority its population is on the SW side of CT and the NE side that's closer to boston is pretty much farmland and Uconn. The CT fox station must of decided to show the Giants because of it. It's sad that they'll only show the Pats when they are winning superbowls, so much for being the New England patriots.
Hartford is pretty much considered to be the dividing line between Giants fans and Patriots fans, isn't it? Since the game is on Fox and Fox carries the NFC, maybe that's the reason. Do you think if it was on CBS that station would carry the Pats game? Pats-Falcons is a much more compelling matchup than Giants-Bucs. The only thing I can think of is if the Fox station in Hartford promotes itself as 'your source for Giants football' or something like that, then they pretty much painted themselves in to a corner and forced themselves to carry the Giants game.

Another thing to consider is that local stations can request a specific game, but the final decision is that of the network. The people at corporate headquarters may have thought it's better in the long run to show the Giants game in order to create more Giants fans in the area, because more Giants fans = more Fox viewers as the Giants are in the NFC and Fox carries the NFC.

Yes .... one of my pet peeves.

When a team is at home one of two things happens in that home television market: the game sells out or it does not.
  • If the stadium does not sell out, the home team game is blacked out. In this scenario the Pats would not be broadcast within 75 mile of Foxboro. Since the Pats-Atlanta game is on Fox (the network is determined by the visiting team; Fox=NFC) and CBS has the doubleheader, Fox can could broadcast another game. CBS would still broadcast two games since they have the doubleheader, and the area would get three games on tv (though no Pats game.)
  • If a stadium does sell out, then the NFL does not allow another game to be broadcast at the same time. Why? They are still under the belief that fans may not show up for a game they have tickets for because there may be a better game on tv. The NFL and there owners want to make sure nobody is a 'no-show' because a better game is on tv. The thinking is if a better game is not on tv, you'll go ahead and show up at the local game (and spend money on parking, food, beer, etc., because the price of the ticket is only half of the revenue they're looking for.)
There are several problems with this outdated logic. For starters, if a fan has a ticket to a game he probably has spent a lot of money for it. While there are always some no-shows I doubt that watching another game is on top of the list of reasons to throw a hundred or two hundred dollars away - especially early in the season. If the weather is so bad somebody says it's not worth it (lame, but some feel this way) then the decision is the weather - not another game on tv.

Later in the season some may no longer support the team and watch another game. But a Bengal or Ram fan that doesn't want to see their double-digit loss team lose another game is not staying away to watch another game; they're staying away because they're sick and tired of seeing the local product.

The third factor is the reality that if an NFL fan wants to see a game and lives reasonably close to an NFL stadium, then he also has his choice of hundreds of sports bars that have the Sunday Ticket. The fact that other game is not on his tv at home doesn't mean a thing; there are plenty of places he can watch that other game.

Bottom line is that keeping a game off local tv (in this case, another AFC/CBS game at 1:00) is not going to be a factor with a single person and whether or not they use the ticket they have to attend the Pats game. It's just a stupid, outdated, irrelevant rule between the NFL and the networks.

Thanks,JMT...................good info.....I've got Comcast......no sunday ticket...............i wish comcast could bid on this,but I suspect the NFL is protecting Directtv.Can't even get the Prov.rhody cbs station,like the old days....................Money talks,and football fans suffer.

Hartford is pretty much considered to be the dividing line between Giants fans and Patriots fans, isn't it? Since the game is on Fox and Fox carries the NFC, maybe that's the reason. Do you think if it was on CBS that station would carry the Pats game? Pats-Falcons is a much more compelling matchup than Giants-Bucs. The only thing I can think of is if the Fox station in Hartford promotes itself as 'your source for Giants football' or something like that, then they pretty much painted themselves in to a corner and forced themselves to carry the Giants game.

Another thing to consider is that local stations can request a specific game, but the final decision is that of the network. The people at corporate headquarters may have thought it's better in the long run to show the Giants game in order to create more Giants fans in the area, because more Giants fans = more Fox viewers as the Giants are in the NFC and Fox carries the NFC.

Basically. A lot of confused NFL fans here.

Networks understand ratings. Are they wrong to believe that more folks would watch the giants than the patriots on the Hartford TV station?

With regard to Western MA. I suspect that almost all have the availability of Boston channels on cable and on satellite.

Basically. A lot of confused NFL fans here.

REALLY...REALLY mad that the Pats will not be on in CT....With a 7 month at home it's not really easy to hit a bar with Sunday Ticket anymore...

Put a mustache on the baby and get it a fake ID. Come on, this is FOOTBALL. Where's your priorities?

Thank God for this thing man, or else I would have never remembed I need to call the Cable Company and add the sports pak for the weekend so I can see the game.

Networks understand ratings. Are they wrong to believe that more folks would watch the giants than the patriots on the Hartford TV station?

With regard to Western MA. I suspect that almost all have the availability of Boston channels on cable and on satellite.
I was going to say the same thing about NH. Those maps are nice and pretty but they don't really account for overlap.

I remember as a kid in NH I used to get CBS and NBC out of Boston plus CBS and NBC out of Maine. Many were the afternoons I had 2 NBC options at 1:00 or 2 CBS options - of course back then, CBS was the all Giants station. Or if the Pats were blacked out of Boston (a common occurance back then) I'd still be able to watch them from the Maine station.

Looks like Berkshire County is screwed.
I really don't feel like going to the bar.

Yes, they are.

Irony. I just moved from Virginia to Connecticut and the first weekend I'm here in New England, I won't be seeing the New England Patriots

While I'm just moving to CT, I've lived here before and I always thought the simple way to figure out Giants territory was that Fairfield and New Haven counties were Giants country, and the rest was Patriots country with a smattering of Giants and Jets fans. But what do I know?

Living in CT and going to college in Mass, will be heading back to campus earlier tomorrow to make sure I'm able to watch the game.

The Pats not being on in CT is completely unacceptable.

While I'm just moving to CT, I've lived here before and I always thought the simple way to figure out Giants territory was that Fairfield and New Haven counties were Giants country, and the rest was Patriots country with a smattering of Giants and Jets fans

That's basically it, though I myself am from New Haven county.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes