PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week Three, Falcons at Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you guys envision a set with one of a TE or HB as a blocker and 4-wide in Moss/Welker/Edelman/Galloway?

Doesn't sound like the Falcons are a pressure defense and a formation like that could be fun to watch.

Last edited:
Can you guys envision a set with one of a TE or HB as a blocker and 4-wide in Moss/Welker/Edelman/Galloway?

Doesn't sound like the Falcons are a pressure defense and a formation like that could be fun to watch.

Even though I've been clamoring for the 2-wide 2TE and the versatility that comes with that, I can see that working pretty well itself. Welker & Edelman on the field at the same time is a nice thought - two pretty good security blankets, guys who can get open underneath.

That said, the Falcons can get some pressure w Abraham, so I'm still going to root for a more conservative offense after seeing what happened in NY on Sunday.

Why didn't we go after Gonzalez? We could have unloaded Watson and Thomas, for one great TE. Even if we only got 2 or 3 years out of TG it would have been more than we have seen/gotten from Watson and Thomas. I wish we gave Thomas a second chance, since that's what we do around here. That kid "could catch" unlike Watson. But you cant make the club from the tub, which is where Thomas spent most of his career here.:singing:

Why didn't we go after Gonzalez? We could have unloaded Watson and Thomas, for one great TE. Even if we only got 2 or 3 years out of TG it would have been more than we have seen/gotten from Watson and Thomas. I wish we gave Thomas a second chance, since that's what we do around here. That kid "could catch" unlike Watson. But you cant make the club from the tub, which is where Thomas spent most of his career here.:singing:

So I take it you didn't watch the Buffalo game?

Similar to the Dillon situation, I believe we gave up a 2nd rounder and at least got one good year out of him. 1600yds and a superbowl was worth it, even though he was useless in 05 and 06. The 04 Dillon has been the only truely "Good" running back since the 90's. Except faulk, but he's a different breed third down guy. Faulk is money but not your every down guy:spygate::spygate::spygate:

So I take it you didn't watch the Buffalo game?

True...but one game out of 16 is not consistant enough, That was the best game of his career! Dont expect that very often.....Do you remember 07? Did watson even have a ball thrown his way?

True...but one game out of 16 is not consistant enough, That was the best game of his career! Dont expect that very often.....Do you remember 07? Did watson even have a ball thrown his way?

Yep. 36 receptions for 389 yards (10.8 avg) and 6 TD's - in 12 games. I guess SOMEONE threw him the ball.

Last edited:
Tedy Bruschi and Mike Reiss preview Pats-Falcons

Tedy Bruschi and Mike Reiss break down the Patriots and Falcons
Tedy Bruschi said:
"Can the Falcons' defense do what the New York Jets' defense did? Are they a copycat defense where they would try to mimic the same schemes that the Jets ran to try to get pressure on Brady, or are they going to try something else?" I think it comes down the question of whether the defensive backs are as good as the Jets. I like the defensive backs of the Jets, I think they're a little better than the Falcons, when you have players like Kerry Rhodes and Darrelle Revis, who had great games versus the Patriots. I don't know if the Falcons can duplicate the feat.

They are now forecasting 90% chance of rain.

I think that would favor the Falcons.

-Better ground game

-Brady not comfortable with his leg yet. Wet grass wont help.

- Might slow down the speed of receivers just a bit. Our corners cant cover Moss, Welker, and Galloway. Maybe the rain makes them a little slower on the deep routes and coming out of the cuts.

I actually hurts the DB's. Trying to mirror a cut on slippery turf is probably trickier than running a route.

They are now forecasting 90% chance of rain.

I think that would favor the Falcons.

-Better ground game

-Brady not comfortable with his leg yet. Wet grass wont help.

- Might slow down the speed of receivers just a bit. Our corners cant cover Moss, Welker, and Galloway. Maybe the rain makes them a little slower on the deep routes and coming out of the cuts.

I actually hurts the DB's. Trying to mirror a cut on slippery turf is probably trickier than running a route.
Good point.

I would think it would cut down on the speed as well. For me, it was always easier to back pedal on wet grass than run forward full tilt. Seems like you have to lift your legs higher to get the same leverage...and the ground is less resistant to your cleats...meaning longer slower strides.

Ok. If you feel better about your DB's covering a 5% slower Moss or Galloway, that's fine... :D

Good point.

I would think it would cut down on the speed as well. For me, it was always easier to back pedal on wet grass than run forward full tilt. Seems like you have to lift your legs higher to get the same leverage...and the ground is less resistant to your cleats...meaning longer slower strides.

Ok. If you feel better about your DB's covering a 5% slower Moss or Galloway, that's fine... :D
I wouldnt call it "feeling better." More like feel slightly less worse. We will take all the help we can get.

And if Welker decides its more important to be better the rest of the season than just week 3, im ok with that too. :)

Haha, yeah. I hope not.

I'm thinking grounded expectations by the coaching staff should bring a lot more 2-TE sets onto the field for this game. Brady needs to get his game clock re-programmed and this should be a good game to make some strides there.

Just pray your DB's don't have to chase Moss, Galloway AND Watson down the field. That's a WHOLE LOT of speed.

I'm actually pretty excited to see The Falcons play, I like the QB/RB/TE trio. I could dig a close game where we win IF it were later in the season. Right now I have to root for a blow-out.

I wouldnt call it "feeling better." More like feel slightly less worse. We will take all the help we can get.

And if Welker decides its more important to be better the rest of the season than just week 3, im ok with that too. :)

Another point that a Falcons fan pointed out to me was that its harder to get a pass rush in the rain(traction)...losing some of the signifigance of Brady not feeling comfortable on that leg on wet grass.

If it seems like we make a bigger deal than most about the possibilities in the rain, its because as fans we dont experience it too much. We typically only see about 5-6 games a year not in a dome...so we might see 1-2 games a year in anything but a dome or sunshine.

Last edited:
If it seems like we make a bigger deal than most about the possibilities in the rain, its because as fans we dont experience it too much. We typically only see about 5-6 games a year not in a dome...so we might see 1-2 games a year in anything but a dome or sunshine.

Five years ago, patsfans would've loved to see a rainy, muddy game b/c we knew we could grind out a victory with the best of them. But with the new emphasis on the passing offense, I'm sure we're all hoping for sunny skies.

As I said, I won't believe a weather report in New England until the day of, or the minute of. I've had too many weekends ruined b/c I didn't do something b/c I was expecting rain/snow, etc., and was met with blue skies.

Did have to make a comment that doesnt relate to the thread...but as a Falcons fan I dont listen to much of the Bill Belichick media sessions/interviews (until this week of course)...but I think I can say, without a doubt, that he is the best coach that doesnt get excited about football in the history of the game.

I remember a trigonometry professor who brought more enthusiasm to his lectures than Belichick does to his press conferences.

I WAS excited about the Falcons vs Patriots game...then I listened to him talk about it for 10 minutes and I thought a nap might be a better idea.

Somebody get that man a cup of strong coffee or some prozac...or some sleep aide for when he ends the day...SOMETHING.

Its a great gameplan though, because 2 minutes into his PC I have zoned out. Not that he is going to give us anything anyway, because hes probably the best at not giving away anything, but if he did, no one would know it as long as it was after the third minute. He could literally say "I think Michael Turner is fat" and I am not sure anyone would catch it til their tape recorder was on the desk later that afternoon just playing away while they are nodding off and the cat jumped in their lap 10 seconds before he got to that statement.

Last edited:
Falcons and Patriots have the same record over the last 10 games (7-3).

Not that its a big deal. Just something interesting I noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back