PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 7: Pats win, but what about the offense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady was a bit unlucky in that there were some good deep balls that were dropped, but he also missed some *WIDE* open guys deep. It's frustrating to watch guys like Sanchez and Wilson continually connect deep while Brady consistently misses guys down the field. I love Brady, but it drives me crazy.

You have to keep perspective. Put Brady against the Pats D and lets see if he can find guys.

Those same guys you mentioned have sucked most of the year.

That was a frustrating play to say the least. Hernandez was about 15 yards away from any defender - it would have been a massive gain but Simms was right there was no way Brady could plant his foot. There wasnt anywhere near enough time to get it done as the pass rush was already on him.

the play took way too long to set up.....but this isn't the first time he's long on the trigger on some of those deep throws

love the guy, but he hasn't been sharp lately

Saw this yesterday Hernandez outside the numbers?:confused: Is Daniels kidding me:rolleyes: are our WR's so slow that we have to be lining up a Halfback/TE outside the numbers? Our Offense will continue to struggle against good Defenses until we get a legitimate outside the numbers receiver. We were lucky to win yesterday.

Last edited:
Yeah, I recall Simms saying the issue there was Brady didn't have time to get his feet set. I would think Brady's got the arm strength to get it out there regardless, considering how open the receiver was. Might be wrong though.

I would think the ball he threw Gronks way that Dad of a Million children whose names he doesn't know should have picked off cleanly would say throwing on the run isn't his greatest strength

We need more speed/height at Wide Receiver

We get absolutely no separation from our wide receivers, we can't win the jump ball battle either. What we get is the inability to produce a deep threat, we desperately need. A need that most other teams have covered. Brandon Lloyd, while a solid NFL WR, is not a game changer. He is slow, short, and can't get separation. He is a great athlete, but he is not a wide receiver that can take over a game. I question his legitimacy as a deep threat.

I hope next year, we either sign a big name tall fast WR in free agency, or we draft a fast 6'4 WR high in the NFL draft.

Re: We need more speed/height at Wide Receiver

We get absolutely no separation from our wide receivers, we can't win the jump ball battle either. What we get is the inability to produce a deep threat, we desperately need. A need that most other teams have covered. Brandon Lloyd, while a solid NFL WR, is not a game changer. He is slow, short, and can't get separation. He is a great athlete, but he is not a wide receiver that can take over a game. I question his legitimacy as a deep threat.

I hope next year, we either sign a big name tall fast WR in free agency, or we draft a fast 6'4 WR high in the NFL draft.

Should have picked David Terrell when they had a chance ...

Don't care much about the height but, would it ever be nice to have speed like what the Steelers have at wideout. Maybe the Pats should steal whoever the Steelers have in their WR drafting department?

Tall and fast? dude would never see the field.

Quickness where it's at bro

This has been an issue since Moss left. Our TEs and WRs are great over the middle of the field but the deep pass doesn't even seem to be an option now. Opposing safetys can come up to clog the middle of the field 'cause we don't throw deep. Imagine a guy like Victor Cruz in our offense.

As much as I hate that primadonna Plaxico Burress, he would have been a great outside threat to use. He has the height (and hands) that Moss has, and would have given us the true deep threat we used to have with Moss. Lloyd might be good (and that’s arguable from what I’ve seen thus far), but from a mere physicality standpoint, he lacks the height to go up there and snatch the ball from the sky.

As for Brady hesitating…. I respectfully disagree. First of all, on ANY deep ball, you need to give your receiver enough time to get down the field. Secondly, I think Brady often times sees exactly what I described above – a mismatch between Lloyd and his covering CB. Lloyd had no chance in Seattle against those huge CBs.

I trust Brady, but unfortunately for him, Moss is gone, and he no longer has a running ‘tower’ on the outside.

Burress has no speed so he'd only be useful in the redzone which doesn't solve the problem. There's no receiver in free agency worth signing, a trade would be the only way to get a legitimate deep threat this season at least.

Burress has no speed so he'd only be useful in the redzone which doesn't solve the problem. There's no receiver in free agency worth signing, a trade would be the only way to get a legitimate deep threat this season at least.

Why would he only be useful in the endzone? He doesnt need to be a home run threat, I just want to keep the chains moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes