PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 7: Pats win, but what about the defense?

I assume big plays he means those 50 yard pass plays he says the defense doesnt have calls for :)
Sanchez's second half performance against the New England Patriots defense:

16 comp/20 atts 190 yards 1 TD

That is simply pathetic!

SVN there's only so much you can ask out of a front 4 we NEED to start blitzing end of story. Our 4 is good enough to not need extra help clearly as they are all good runstoppers but to go the extra mile they need an extra guy rushing the gaps they create.

At the same time there's only so much you can ask from a secondary being forced to play 100% of these deep passing plays, they're making these deep ball coverage routes because opposing OC's know we cant stop it consistently. If we threw in a blitz On some of these OBVIOUS deep passing downs we can disrupt the play before it develops into a 20 yard gain. Again.

Well, this is how they have played always for yrs. Even the 2007 team while not clsoe to this bad always gave up ton of yards and played redzone defense. Seems thats what BB wants to do ? :(

wow way to put a damper on my Tuesday morning.

Not meaning to put a damper on them. You don't know what you're going to get out of them quite yet. At least you KNOW what you're getting out of McCourty (wild inconsistency) and Arrington (epic sucktitude).

You want to know what I think one of the biggest problems with this defense is? It's not coaching and it's not talent. It is attitude. When BB first came here he had guys like McGinist, Law, Bruschi and Harrison, need I continue? These players had swagger. I'm all for the "Patriot Way" when it comes to the media, but its almost like Belichick has a team of robots out there, that he has coached in every way and they are too busy worrying about what Bill would want them to do rather then letting their football instincts take over. (I'm talking secondary, not LBs and defensive line) I also think the secondary lacks leadership. The front 7 have Mayo and Wilfork as leaders which is why I think they are successful. Now I will probably get a lot of crap for this but, Ed Reed is a free agent after this year. I know BB won't pay him, and I know he has been hurt a lot last few seasons, and I know he probably isn't leaving Baltimore... But who better in this league right now to bring in as a FA to bring some attitude and leadership to this secondary?

You want to know what I think one of the biggest problems with this defense is? It's not coaching and it's not talent. It is attitude. When BB first came here he had guys like McGinist, Law, Bruschi and Harrison, need I continue? These players had swagger. I'm all for the "Patriot Way" when it comes to the media, but its almost like Belichick has a team of robots out there, that he has coached in every way and they are too busy worrying about what Bill would want them to do rather then letting their football instincts take over. (I'm talking secondary, not LBs and defensive line) I also think the secondary lacks leadership. The front 7 have Mayo and Wilfork as leaders which is why I think they are successful. Now I will probably get a lot of crap for this but, Ed Reed is a free agent after this year. I know BB won't pay him, and I know he has been hurt a lot last few seasons, and I know he probably isn't leaving Baltimore... But who better in this league right now to bring in as a FA to bring some attitude and leadership to this secondary?

BB didn't have Rodney when he first came here. Rodney was brought in just before year 4 of Belichick's tenure.

Not meaning to put a damper on them. You don't know what you're going to get out of them quite yet. At least you KNOW what you're getting out of McCourty (wild inconsistency) and Arrington (epic sucktitude).

Thiese 2 guys are a perfect example of what I am talking about. We all know about McCourtys turn into whatever he is now, but don't forget Arrington did not used to be this bad. He was never a great coverer but I think we have all forgotten he used to be decent. I believe it was 2010 he had 8 or 9 picks. He has gotten a lot worse then he was. And he wasn't anywhere near as good as McCourty to begin with. But he was at least not the liability he is now.

BB didn't have Rodney when he first came here. Rodney was brought in just before year 4 of Belichick's tenure.

I know that. But after 13 years I consider 3 years "when he first got here" I will rephrase what I said to "In the early BB years he had guys like..." rather then when he first got here if it pleases the Court of Splitting Hairs.

Thiese 2 guys are a perfect example of what I am talking about. We all know about McCourtys turn into whatever he is now, but don't forget Arrington did not used to be this bad. He was never a great coverer but I think we have all forgotten he used to be decent. I believe it was 2010 he had 8 or 9 picks. He has gotten a lot worse then he was. And he wasn't anywhere near as good as McCourty to begin with. But he was at least not the liability he is now.

Interceptions aren't proof of a great, or even good, cornerback. Arrington is a guy who should be a #4, maybe a #3. That's pretty much what he's always been.

I know that. But after 13 years I consider 3 years "when he first got here" I will rephrase what I said to "In the early BB years he had guys like..." rather then when he first got here if it pleases the Court of Splitting Hairs.

That's a Kangaroo Court anyway...

Interceptions aren't proof of a great, or even good, cornerback. Arrington is a guy who should be a #4, maybe a #3. That's pretty much what he's always been.

Believe me I agree with you. I know Arrington was not great. But in oreder to make interceptions you have to be in the general area of the guy you are covering and be looking at the ball. He is very rarely doing either nowadays.

Believe me I agree with you. I know Arrington was not great. But in oreder to make interceptions you have to be in the general area of the guy you are covering and be looking at the ball. He is very rarely doing either nowadays.

I think you're misremembering how a lot of those INTs happened.

haven't read this thread so i don't know if this has already been covered but i'm less concerned about the defense than the offense's ability to score touchdowns in the clutch despite its performance at the end of the jets game.

i think our defense is one of the most dangerous and explosive in the league. actually that's not my opinion so much as a fact since they have the second most takeaways in the league at 18 but basically they're #1 in that category because the bears defense is literally satan all the time and doesn't count.

sure, the defense is young and the secondary isn't exactly full of superstars, and it coughs up points, but - and i apologize if this is inaccurate because i've missed chunks of the last couple games - the vaunted Tom Brady To Bear ******* Grylls offense isn't exactly helping by going three-and-out in the fourth quarter on passing plays and giving the ball back without chewing up any clock. i can't give the defense anything but praise for keeping the jets to field goals back to back at the end of the game instead of giving up touchdowns when the jets had great field position, especially the second time around when the jets started in the red zone.

e: i'll probably get lambasted for citing the takeaway stat but whatever.

Last edited:
I think you're misremembering how a lot of those INTs happened.

The main point I am trying to make here is he is moving backwards. Not getting better, not staying the same. Getting worse. Along with McCourty.

Thiese 2 guys are a perfect example of what I am talking about. We all know about McCourtys turn into whatever he is now, but don't forget Arrington did not used to be this bad. He was never a great coverer but I think we have all forgotten he used to be decent.

exactly. he got 3.5 million for 2 yrs. extension. that is a huge raise for his udfa contract, before he surpassed wilhite, butler, wheatley and last year, he was better than McCourty. He made it to #1. Regression.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back