PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 6 Thoughts: Unrelenting Victory

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the Brady deep balls - I wonder if the effect of what Reiss was talking about earlier in the day - how the Dallas field goes down hill on the sides for drainage - had any impact. As you say, 1 foot can make a huge different. Throwing downhill a few inches likewise may make a difference as well for someone who isn't used to it.

Excellent note! I believe the "crown on the field" was the key to the Patriots passing game (and the reason why Brady's pct completion rating was only "very good" instead of in the stratospheric 80% range).

Notice, almost all of the bad short pass misses Brady made in that first half were towards the outside. Also notice where all the big play passes went - - right down the middle.

The field REALLY did affect the game. The Pats are just so smart that they can adjust to a weird condition like that.

A little note about your point on Brady's long ball to Moss: as a QB, you aren't necessarily throwing to a "target" on a long ball as you would on shorter routes. For example, on your crossing routes, outs, etc. you are throwing through a window and trying to pinpoint an exact location. On a deep ball, where you have to have significant arc, you are throwing to a zone. Basically, you read the coverage before release and anticipate where the receiver will be in the best position to distance himself from coverage and make the play. If you look at the flea flicker, notice how Tommy threw the ball to the right of where Moss was running? He needed to have more arc under it, but threw it to the perfect zone to allow Randy to make the play on the ball with coverage. Think of deep passes as being thrown into a giant 7 yard or so bucket, and quick passes as being thrown through a tire.

We used to play a deep ball accuracy game after practice in college. From the 50, the QBs would take turns trying to knock the pylons over in the end zone. Tommy was usually pretty darn good at that.

I actually think he's a better short yardage back than Evans who hasn't been very good on short yardage at all lately.

There's something about Eckel that BB really likes. He tried to hang on to him in 06 but when he was put on waivers, Saben snatched him up for the 'Phins! Nasty friend that Saben!!!:cool:

Excellent note! I believe the "crown on the field" was the key to the Patriots passing game (and the reason why Brady's pct completion rating was only "very good" instead of in the stratospheric 80% range).

Notice, almost all of the bad short pass misses Brady made in that first half were towards the outside. Also notice where all the big play passes went - - right down the middle.

The field REALLY did affect the game. The Pats are just so smart that they can adjust to a weird condition like that.

Followup: Just heard the archived BB interview of BB on WEEI yesterday with Ordway, Smerlas, DeOssie. He mentioned that the "crown" was a big factor and that, in fact, the Cowboys organization have made it even more pronounced (I think he said by three feet) and added new drainage etc. in addition to another row of seats, thereby making it the smallest out of bounds area in the NFL.

Early on it was obvious that Brady was badly missing some easy short passes to the sides and they adjusted accordingly.

* Welker made a comment about how Brady puts you in good positions to make catches, which I think is an underrated part of his game. Not only is he excellent at finding the right guy, but rarely do you see a receiver get completely leveled right after the catch.
I saw at least one pass where Brady threw it well over the open receiver and it looked like either an overthrow or a throw away. The coverage was too close for a low pass so it has to be thrown high to avoid the interception. On replay you could see the second man in coverage (safety?) running toward the receiver. If the pass completes, the receiver gets absolutely destroyed.

I felt like at least one was deliberately thrown away for that reason.

In contrast, we've seen Pennington's high floaters hang receivers up for target practice.

Last edited:
Followup: Just heard the archived BB interview of BB on WEEI yesterday with Ordway, Smerlas, DeOssie. He mentioned that the "crown" was a big factor and that, in fact, the Cowboys organization have made it even more pronounced (I think he said by three feet) and added new drainage etc. in addition to another row of seats, thereby making it the smallest out of bounds area in the NFL.

Early on it was obvious that Brady was badly missing some easy short passes to the sides and they adjusted accordingly.

Please pass a memo to Goddell and Competition Committee. This is clearly taking HFA to new levels not in the spirit of the game!!!:rolleyes:

Interesting point, I heard most of BB's interview on my commute, but missed that. Would've liked to hear him address it so I might check the archive. That does seem like a pretty big home field advantage...as does the Miami HFA they were speaking of towards the end of BB's interview re: the sun facing the opponent's bench and the sun rendering most game tape useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes