Week 5 NFL Television Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Week 5 NFL Television Coverage
By: John Morgan

Don't shoot the messenger, but past his expiration date Dan Dierdorf will be given the microphone for Sunday's game at Cincinnati....

He's not bad. His problem is that he has a really big head - it's enormous. Not figuratively, literally.

I'd rather have it on TV than not, so I won't complain.

Anyone know what this BS is all about?

"Due to NFL broadcast rules there will be no early CBS game in New York City, Indianapolis, Chicago or Detroit"

I haven't been able to see one Pats game on national TV other than Sunday night (not nearly as much fun when one has to work the next morning).

Anyone know what this BS is all about?

"Due to NFL broadcast rules there will be no early CBS game in New York City, Indianapolis, Chicago or Detroit"

I haven't been able to see one Pats game on national TV other than Sunday night (not nearly as much fun when one has to work the next morning).

When an NFL team is playing at home and the game is sold out, that game will be televised - but no other game can be broadcast at the same time.

Even though people have already bought and paid for those tickets, that's not enough; they want to insure that they go to the stadium and spend still more money on parking, beer, soda, water, food, etc.

If those fans still don't go to the game then the NFL wants those people to support a sport bar that has paid for the Sunday Ticket and spend money there, giving them a return on their investment.

The Bears, Colts and Giants are all playing at home on FOX at the same time the Pats are playing, so no CBS game will be shown in those markets during that time slot. That should read Green Bay rather than Detroit for the other game, since the Lions are visitors and the Packers are the home team.

Last edited:
When an NFL team is playing at home and the game is sold out, that game will be televised - but no other game can be broadcast at the same time.

Even though people have already bought and paid for those tickets, that's not enough; they want to insure that they go to the stadium and spend still more money on parking, beer, soda, water, food, etc.

If those fans still don't go to the game then the NFL wants those people to support a sport bar that has paid for the Sunday Ticket and spend money there, giving them a return on their investment.

The Bears, Colts and Giants are all playing at home on FOX at the same time the Pats are playing, so no CBS game will be shown in those markets during that time slot. That should read Green Bay rather than Detroit for the other game, since the Lions are visitors and the Packers are the home team.

Thanks for the explanation. I can't remember any time in recent memory having to wait 6 weeks (minimum) for a Pats home game on a Sunday afternoon that I could watch at home. Granted I had Sunday Ticket for a few years but I can't get it where I live now. Guess part of it is Thurs/Sun/Mon football as well leading to less Sunday afternoon games.

Thanks for the explanation. I can't remember any time in recent memory having to wait 6 weeks (minimum) for a Pats home game on a Sunday afternoon that I could watch at home. Granted I had Sunday Ticket for a few years but I can't get it where I live now. Guess part of it is Thurs/Sun/Mon football as well leading to less Sunday afternoon games.
Not sure where you are, but I believe that the Saints/NE game at 4:25 on the 13th will be seen by most of the country.

Not sure where you are, but I believe that the Saints/NE game at 4:25 on the 13th will be seen by most of the country.

Yeah, that game should get near-national coverage with the exceptions of Arizona and San Francisco (also on FOX at same time), and Denver and Seattle (playing at home at same time, refer to NFL blackout rule above).

Week 7 (at Jets) will be tough because it's an early game and there are four other games on CBS at the same time.

Same deal in week 8 (vs Miami) since that's an early game and FOX has the two games that week.

Week 9 is a question mark. Back in April I would have assumed that the Steelers-Pats game would be shown everywhere, but Pittsburgh is so bad I wonder if CBS might make Baltimore-Cleveland their national game instead - especially if the Browns keep winning and the Steelers keep losing.

Week 10 is a bye but after that Pats games are available everywhere:
- MNF at Carolina
- SNF vs Denver
- Late afternoon at Houston

After that it's two more weeks at a sports bar (vs Cleveland and at Miami), then one more night game at Baltimore before week 17 vs Buffalo.

So for the rest of the season for most Pats fans living away from New England there will most likely be:

3 night games
3(?) national late afternoon games
and doubtful availability on the rest

Last edited:

except here in the bay area . Arizona vs SF :bricks:

except here in the bay area . Arizona vs SF :bricks:

It's funny (well, not funny for you) because logically you would think that with two football teams in your area you would end up with more viewing choices for NFL games, but because of that 'blackout of other games when the team is playing at home rule' just the opposite is true - which results in NFL fans living in the Bay area getting screwed over their viewing options.

One of either the Raiders or 49ers are playing a "late" home game (4 pm ET) nearly every Sunday afternoon, so that eliminates the marquee national game from being broadcast there.

Because of the above rule you almost always only get two day games with three a rarity; elsewhere it is just the opposite, with three day games being the rule and two the exception. It's the same in NYC/NJ with two teams, but at least they usually only lose out on an early game rather than the top late afternoon game.

Don't shoot the messenger, but past his expiration date Dan Dierdorf will be given the microphone for Sunday's game at Cincinnati....

giphy.gif

For some insane reason it looks like the Boston area will get Arizona vs Carolina in the late Fox game. What an awful game!

NO@GB? Yes, please
DET@GB? Absolutely
Seattle@Indy? Sure
CAR@ARZ? :puke:

506 Sports - NFL Maps: Week 5, 2013

Ugh. I know this can't be scientifically proven, but it's can't be just me that thinks Dierdorf is all but pulling for the other team whenever he does the Pats. It seems like alot of other fanbases don't like him much, either, so it could just be that he's just an annoying lout to have to listen to (to which I wholeheartedly agree). What is it about Dierdorf...is it because he talks just to hear himself talk? Do you think he really has an anti-Pats bias?

I actually LIKE "C" and "D" list announcing crews. They're not the A crew because they don't have enough "personality". They're appealingly bland. And that's just fine with me: I'll take bland and boring over colorful overtalkers anyday. The TV announcing crew should NOT be the center of attention. The players and the team should be. Just call the damn game and shut up already, is what I say!!

For some insane reason it looks like the Boston area will get Arizona vs Carolina in the late Fox game. What an awful game!

NO@GB? Yes, please
DET@GB? Absolutely
Seattle@Indy? Sure

What did we do to deserve this punishment? :(
Love the way the entire nation except Arizoner gets to see Manning's coronation

NO@GB? Yes, please
DET@GB? Absolutely
Seattle@Indy? Sure

Reason for Carolina-Arizona being broadcast in the Boston area is because it is on late, and therefore not competing for viewers with the Pats game. All those others are certainly far more competitive and appealing games, but they are on at the same time as Cincinnati-New England.

There's only one game on FOX this week; they know better than to go-head-to-head against a Pats game in Boston.

Last edited:
Hey at least the Boston market gets another game to turn to when the Denver/Dallas game becomes a Manning ball washing fest in the 2nd half.

Reason for Carolina-Arizona being broadcast in the Boston area is because it is on late, and therefore not competing for viewers with the Pats game. All those others are certainly far more competitive and appealing games, but they are on at the same time as Cincinnati-New England.

There's only one game on FOX this week; they know better than to go-head-to-head against a Pats game in Boston.

Oh my bad, I though those were all 4pm games. Usually the early and late games are broken out like they're listed for the CBS games. I thought "LATE" meant it was one of the later starting 4pm games.

So now we'll be stuck watching Manning rack up TD's vs the hopeless Cowboys secondary as the Announcers gush about Manning or Car/Arz.

Hey at least the Boston market gets another game to turn to when the Denver/Dallas game becomes a Manning ball washing fest in the 2nd half.

Spend time with friends & family. I'm telling my wife that she's so special that I'm giving up football for her.

Yes, I am a bad person

For some insane reason it looks like the Boston area will get Arizona vs Carolina in the late Fox game.
The "insane reason" is that when the Patriots are on, nobody will watch any other game, no matter how good it is. Fox Channel 25 can pick whatever game they want from the Fox lineup and based on this (and previous) selections, it seems they have a policy not to go against the Patriots.

Yup. Just checked and looks like we (NYC) will get it. :rocker:

Yeah, that game should get near-national coverage with the exceptions of Arizona and San Francisco (also on FOX at same time), and Denver and Seattle (playing at home at same time, refer to NFL blackout rule above).

Week 7 (at Jets) will be tough because it's an early game and there are four other games on CBS at the same time.

Same deal in week 8 (vs Miami) since that's an early game and FOX has the two games that week.

Week 9 is a question mark. Back in April I would have assumed that the Steelers-Pats game would be shown everywhere, but Pittsburgh is so bad I wonder if CBS might make Baltimore-Cleveland their national game instead - especially if the Browns keep winning and the Steelers keep losing.

Week 10 is a bye but after that Pats games are available everywhere:
- MNF at Carolina
- SNF vs Denver
- Late afternoon at Houston

After that it's two more weeks at a sports bar (vs Cleveland and at Miami), then one more night game at Baltimore before week 17 vs Buffalo.

So for the rest of the season for most Pats fans living away from New England there will most likely be:

3 night games
3(?) national late afternoon games
and doubtful availability on the rest

Bummer....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes