PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 3 TNF: Kansas City Chiefs at Philadelphia Eagles

That....would have been an awesome Hail Mary. Lol.

I didn't say they were all top five picks, did I? The higher you pick, the better chance you have of getting a better player. One of the downsides of always 10-6 seasons (or better) is you pick late in each round.

You said top half. Only 3 of the 6 meet that criteria and, as I pointed out, only one of them cracks the top 10. And the "each round" thing doesn't hold much water.

Take a look at the Patriots starting defense:

Jones
Hightower
Talib
Wilfork
McCourty

all first rounders.

Chiefs are only up 10. Should be up by 20 LOL.
Eagles looked HORRIBLE.

Justin Houston looks good. I remember myself and a few other posters were calling for Houston to be drafted.

Re: Thursday Night Football:Eagles vs. Chiefs

kc's got such an inept offense. the eagles should be done 20+ points at this point

You said top half. Only 3 of the 6 meet that criteria and, as I pointed out, only one of them cracks the top 10. And the "each round" thing doesn't hold much water.

Take a look at the Patriots starting defense:

Jones
Hightower
Talib
Wilfork
McCourty

all first rounders.

I don't know what to say if you don't think there are better players available at pick #35 when compared to pick #62.

Donovan McNabb was pretty good for a while -- but was he really good enough to be worthy of a number retirement? :confused:

Maybe I'm just spoiled when it comes to QB's. ;)

Re: Thursday Night Football:Eagles vs. Chiefs

At least it isn't the Demps that we gave to TB. That would have drawn some responses!

I still don't like that trade

Justin Houston looks good. I remember myself and a few other posters were calling for Houston to be drafted.

Yup, instead we got Ras-I Dowling. BB outsmarted everybody! LOL

To Be FAIR - we did pick up Vereen and Ridley in the 2nd and 3rd round that year. Only the Dowling pick was obviously bad.

Here's the 2011 draft:
http://football.about.com/od/nfldraftresultsbyyear/a/2011_NFL_Draft.htm

Guys we could have had instead of Dowling:
Colin Kaepernick, Andy Dalton, Jabaal Sheard, Brooks Reed, Torrey Smith, Randall Cobb, etc.

I don't know what to say if you don't think there are better players available at pick #35 when compared to pick #62.

I don't know what to say if you can't grasp that the players available at #32 are better than the players at #35, and #64 is better than #67, and #96 is better than #99.

I don't know what to say if you can't grasp that the players available at #32 are better than the players at #35, and #64 is better than #67, and #96 is better than #99.

3rd and 35th is better than 32nd and 64th by a long shot

McCoy's burst looks fine. That injury was a false alarm.

I must have fallen asleep. Had this incredibly bizarre dream that they retired Donovan McNabb's number. Is that messed up or what?

3rd and 35th is better than 32nd and 64th by a long shot

From a recent thread:

Assuming a straight draft, with no gained, lost or moved picks:

Teams that draft at the end of round one instead of higher up on it are only behind those drafting at the top by one pick. After the poorer team makes its first pick in the draft, the issue goes away as the better team gains the higher picks. The lesser team didn't draft ahead of the better team 28 times, it did so 4 times.

On a total points (just subbing the word "points" in for "slots" scale, excluding compensatory picks, and with 1.1 getting 1 point and 7.32 getting 259 points, the most extreme difference you'll get (1 v. 32) would be 217 points. That's only an average difference of a little more than a 7th round pick (#22 overall in round 6). While the compensatories alter this slightly, the overall difference, while there, is not mind-blowingly significant, which is part of why bad drafting teams tend to keep stinking year after year. When teams blow that first round pick, they blow their advantage and, especially before the new CBA, they actually end up putting themselves at a future financial disadvantage. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that it's not an advantage. I'm just noting that it's not as huge an advantage as one might think, particularly given the number of positions teams need to fill...

...You're looking at just 28 picks over 4 years, you have to spend picks on 3 areas of football, and the biggest advantage you get is the first pick in each of those years. After that pick, even the widest split (#1 v. #32) becomes advantage #32 for the rest of the draft. In the end, that means that there's a huge edge (#1 overall v. last overall pick) for the worse team in every draft because of pick #1, but a slight edge (#32 v. #33) to the better team for every other pick, and that's only an edge of one player/pick per year, again, spent on offense/defense/ST (well, likely on offense/defense unless you're the Raiders)...

Eagles offense finally showing some life. They might make the comeback, yet.

Yup, instead we got Ras-I Dowling. BB outsmarted everybody! LOL

To Be FAIR - we did pick up Vereen and Ridley in the 2nd and 3rd round that year. Only the Dowling pick was obviously bad.

Here's the 2011 draft:
2011 NFL Draft Results - 2011 NFL Draft

Guys we could have had instead of Dowling:
Colin Kaepernick, Andy Dalton, Jabaal Sheard, Brooks Reed, Torrey Smith, Randall Cobb, etc.

Ouch! And how about Alex Smith going #1 and Aaron Rodgers being embarrassed on draft day sitting alone at that table until #24. Talk about an inexact science - wow!

Mayock: "Eric Berry has been intimately involved on the last several plays." :D

KC defense is going to be a problem. They are a solid unit built by Romeo Crennel.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back