PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 3 Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Through 3 games, the Pats are tied for 2nd in sacks allowed with 3. They are tied with Indianapolis and New Orleans. Arizona is ranked #1 with 2 sacks allowed.

The Pats have had 88 passing plays with 70 completions. The Cardinals have had 105 with 61 completions. Indianapolis has had 101 with 66 completions. And New Orleans has had 85 with 54 completions.

The Pats Rushing had 107 attempts for 433 yards. That is the 2nd most attempts in the league. But it should also be noted that they spent almost an entire quarter running the ball yesterday so as to NOT run up the score. The Pats top 2 RBs have 87 attempts for 403 yards. That's 4.67 ypc

The Colts have 80 rushing attempts for 337 yards. The Colts top 2 RBs have 78 attempts for 325 yards. That's 4.167 YPC.
The Cardinals have 78 rushing attempts for 354 yards. The Cardinals top 2 RBs have 67 attempts for 294 yards. That is 4.38 YPC
The Saints have 52 rushes for 309 yards. The Saints top 2 RBs have 42 attempts for 152 yards. That is 3.6 YPC.

So, the only area that the Pats seem to "falter" in is that they've allowed 3 sacks on 88 attempts compared to Indy (3 sacks on 101 attempts) and Arizona (2 sacks on 105) attempts and New Orleans (3 sacks on 85 attempts).

Otherwise, the Pats have a better YPC amongst their top RBs and Brady completes more passes. Not to mention that they've scored 13 TDs on offense. Which is tied for the most in the league with Dallas.

Another approach would be:
-We have seen every play of the first 3 games for our OL (at least I ASSUME everyone in this discussion has)
-Without even looking at those stats, its a pretty easy exercise to know where the bar is to be considering other teams compared to the Pats.

Start in the division.
Clearly our OL is the best in the division.
AFCN. Cleveland, Bmore cn not be in the discussion on a simple test of production. Pitt and Cincy would deserve consideration.
AFCS. Colts deserve consideration. Jags and Texans do not. Tenn does not because in watching about 25% of Tenn's offensive plays, I've seen way more pass rush pressure than in 100% of the Pats, and thats 3 games vs 2.
AFCW. Oak, KC, SD do not merit consideration. Denver belongs in the argument.
NFCE. Wash, Giants, Philly are rules out from simple production standpoint. Dallas warrants consideration.
NFCN. GB cannot run the ball, Det, Minn, Chi do not belong in th eargument either.
NFCS. Atl, NO, Carolina, TB all have not been productive enough to be in the argument.
NFCW. Seattle deserves consideration. SF, StL, Arizone do not.
Just based on the SIMPLE criteria that you cannot be a top OL if you are not a good offense, we have narrow the teams deserving consideration to:

NE
Pitt
Cincy
Indy
Denver
Dallas
Seattle

I think it is very fair to say that these have been the 7 best OLs in the NFL, without even doing any research, other than having a BASIC KNOWLEDGE OF THE NFL.

The immediate answer is obvious: Yes, it is time to start considering whether this is the best OL in the NFL.
I drop out Cincy because they average just 3.5 yards per rush. And Seattle with 3.9 per rush and being tied for the most sacks allowed of these teams. Denver is 22nd in scoring, and have not played well offensively overall against a very weak schedule.

Alas, we are down to the best 4 OLs in the NFL:
NE
Dallas
Pitt
Indy

Quite frankly, at this point in the season, you could put them in any order.
NE- Have been overall, the best offense in the NFL
Dallas- Could argue that point
Pitt- Dominant running game
Indy- Very good pass protection, pretty good rushing numbers.

I think you could choose any of the 4, and have a strong argument, I think you have no argument with any of the other 28 teams.
Personally, I'd put Indy #4 in this group. I would have a hard time putting the other 3 in order.
Without question, this analysis will change as the season progresses, but I think its ignorant to NOT say the Pats OL in 2007 has been 1 of the 3 best in the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes