PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 2 Thoughts: Wow

Status
Not open for further replies.
d%#*!@t!

I forgot to mention my non-NE thoughts.

* I watched 8-10 of Indy's offensive plays, including the entire first drive. Their RT was getting absolutely schooled and I saw 3 uncalled "Bucking Bronco Blocks" in just those few plays. I call them BBB's because it amounts of a guy holding on to the back of a players jersey and hoping to just last a few seconds. Two of those plays came on the first drive - the first play of the game and the long pass to Harrison that got them inside the 10. I will be *furious* if Indy is able to get away with that crap.

Indy fans always ask why I bring up their blatant holding, just go and watch that first drive and you will see what I mean.

I noticed that too on the RT of Indy. I cannot fathom why they get away with the holding they do. Don't get me wrong, Manning is a great QB, but giving him another 1/2 second because the OL holds is like cheating. I really wish the Refs would make OL holding a focus, like they did with the (usually phantom) PI calls...

One other non-Pat thought.

* SF keeps winning despite my outcries. Yes, I have a vested interest in their failure, but I honestly believe they might be the worst 2-0 team that I have ever seen. They are brutal and I will be shocked if they stay within 20 points of Pittsburg this week.

One other non-Pat thought.

* SF keeps winning despite my outcries. Yes, I have a vested interest in their failure, but I honestly believe they might be the worst 2-0 team that I have ever seen. They are brutal and I will be shocked if they stay within 20 points of Pittsburg this week.
Ain't that the truth. The Rams doubled their yardage against them but still lost for a variety of reasons. I am confident that we will end up with a good pick out of that but it hurts real bad that they should be 0-2 instead they're 2-0. They could easily have been looking at an 0-5 start. Too bad.

Great points!

As for the pass rush, I have a strong guess. Rushers have a variety of different moves (even Dwight Freeney). They have to keep them mixed up over the course of the game so that the blockers can't get a jump on them. As the game progresses, they get an idea of which move is most likely to work because of how the blocker is playing. And then they dig it out when needed.

Some of them, like Vrabel, talk freely about using certain moves to set up other ones, and the like. I'm just going a little bit beyond what I've seen said.

I watched the full DVR of the game on Monday, I was at the Sox game on Sunday. Great post Oswlek. Here are my observations:

Randy Moss is a superior receiver - I just don't mean because of his obvious big play capability, I mean in every way possible. He had incredible natural hands and understand route running. I honestly had no idea the guy was this good. The scary thing is that I think he is going to get better. Even Collingworth was impressed with his precision and route running (you could see him gritting his teeth while he said it). Compared to Stallworth how fights the ball, Moss makes it look easy.

Colvin was born talking - yap, yap, yap, yap, yap, the guy does not stop ever! He is one of those guys that if he played for someone else you would say 'I hate that guy'. Great game by Rosie, he is much better at dropping back into coverage and seems to have an improved burst to get around the edge.

Bruschi - Where was Tedy? did he get banged up? I expected a lot of Seau and Thomas on early downs to help stop the run but though Bruschi would come in in passing situations. For the record I don't like seeing Seau on the field in coverage, he always looks lost.

Front seven - Just like the good old days, the front seven is playing great.

Pain - Watching how Olivea got hurt, ouch. He was stuck in a pile and Thomas pushed him backwards his back arched over in a very un-natural position.

Madden - I don't usually listen to the games and have tuned him out for years but I actually thought he made a lot of sense. It could just be the drugs (his & mine)

Really looking forward to seeing this team keep the roll going and get back into the one game at a time mentality.

Maroney - the last drive he showed how he may be able to pile up yards as defensives tire. Not once did he run out of bounds. He still has a ways to go in pass protection, he performed an 'Ole' move as a LB rushed in for a sack. Sharp contrast to the beautiful block Faulk executed during the first drive, he picked up a blitzer giving Brady enough time hit Welker for about 20 yards.

Mankins - this guy is a nasty pain in the ass brawler, he is great. Another guy I am glad is on our side.

Last edited:
Great points, but I disagree on Stallworth. He drew a big PI call, he beat his man on the very next play where Brady just overthrew him, and he held onto a ball after he got pasted. He's doing what's asked of him. Once everyone starts double-teaming Randy on every play (poor, poor Quentin Jammer) Stallworth will get some love.

Also, we can't tell for sure how much the presence of Stallworth is helping Moss get open. I know it works the other way, too, but Stallworth was out there for a lot of snaps this week.

Also, we can't tell for sure how much the presence of Stallworth is helping Moss get open. I know it works the other way, too, but Stallworth was out there for a lot of snaps this week.

I maintain my opinion that Stallworth is a much better version of Bethel Johnson / Andre Davis. He will catch 4-6 TD passes and at least 3 of them will be more than 40 yards. The guy can fly, his hands are questionable.

Other thoughts

Norv Turner - I hate to pile on the guy but did you see the look on his face on the sidelines? He was holding his 'top secret' play sheet in his hand with a stunned look of shock. I could almost hear him mutter to himself 'but my first ten plays are scripted, they don't stand a chance'

Kyle Brady - Can a player have a good year at TE without catching a pass?

If you were a defensive coordinator, would you let Stallworth's presence affect your team's coverage of Moss in any way? I doubt it.

I probably shouldn't have made it an opinion strictly of Donte, but it is pretty clear that, despite quite a bit more practice time than Moss got, Stallworth is nowhere near on the same page as Brady.

WIth regard to the number of snaps, I am of the opinion that it had a lot to do with the lead that NE had. I can't imagine Stallworth getting more snaps than Welker if that game was in doubt until the end.

I noticed that too on the RT of Indy. I cannot fathom why they get away with the holding they do. Don't get me wrong, Manning is a great QB, but giving him another 1/2 second because the OL holds is like cheating. I really wish the Refs would make OL holding a focus, like they did with the (usually phantom) PI calls...

That's unbelievable when Dungy was just publicly whining about how Freeny was and Mathis were getting held so much. I expect a new "point of emphasis" next week...applicable to evreyone except the Colts of course.

d%#*!@t!

I forgot to mention my non-NE thoughts.

* I watched 8-10 of Indy's offensive plays, including the entire first drive. Their RT was getting absolutely schooled and I saw 3 uncalled "Bucking Bronco Blocks" in just those few plays. I call them BBB's because it amounts of a guy holding on to the back of a players jersey and hoping to just last a few seconds. Two of those plays came on the first drive - the first play of the game and the long pass to Harrison that got them inside the 10. I will be *furious* if Indy is able to get away with that crap.

Indy fans always ask why I bring up their blatant holding, just go and watch that first drive and you will see what I mean.

Did you hear that Dungy is upset that holding is not being called anymore? I laughed at it too.

* Did anyone else catch that flop by Rivers after the Patriots sacked his ass out of FG range on the drive following the Hobb's fumble? At first I thought it was a really stupid move by Green, but then they showed a replay.....

All I have to say is wow. You sir, are a total wuss. He dipped his shoulder into Green's chest and then fell to the ground as if he had be shot. And he did the same thing late in the playoff game as well. Lame.

If I saw Rivers on the street, I would tell him what a douche bag he is. I really think this guy is a total a**clown and I bet even his teammates hate him. His whiney face is rivaled only by Peyton's.

I hate those players that the instant they've screwed up, they look around for someone else to blame. Manning is one of those for sure, Rivers might even top him.

And to put some perspective on it, I can't think of one example of Brady ever having done that.

* Stallworth doesn't look very good yet. It seems as if the only routes that NE has him run are gos and slants. And even on those, the timing with Brady isn't quite there yet. Moss will make a lot of guys look bad, but the difference between the two is staggering. I don't really need much more thought to determine who I hope is here next year.

I thought there were some encouraging signs from Stallworth. I agree the PI call was a bit of a gift, but on both that play and a few plays later when Brady overthrew him, he had beaten his man. As teams are going to start paying more and more attention to Moss out of necessity, Stallworth should be able to reap some of the benefits. He played a lot more this week (Reiss had the #s), and I expect him to have a great week 3 against the Bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes