PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 2 Picks (SU and ATS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wide_Receiver

Banned
Reaction score
Written by yours truly. :)

San Diego Chargers (1-0) @ New England Patriots (1-0)
Line: Patriots (-7)

I’m not going to pick against the Patriots until they get beat soundly. This is the best team in the AFC and possibly the NFL. Simply put, there isn’t a team that can match-up with the two, multi-versatile, insanely talented tight ends in Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez. The options to start a set two tight and flex into a four wide set allows the Patriots to run draw plays with Danny Woodhead against nickel and dime defenses, as well as spread out base 30 and 40 fronts and get serious match-up problems on the tight ends with outside linebackers and sometimes safeties. I’ve never seen an offense like the one New England has and I don’t care what personnel the opposition brings to the table, they will be over-matched. It doesn’t hurt that the greatest quarterback to ever play the game is back there either.

Read the rest, as well as the game prediction, at the Bleacher Beat.

Week 2 NFL Picks « The Bleacher Beat

Last edited:
You could say this is just a Dolphins fan still kind of in awe from what happened Monday night. :lol:

As much as I agree with your logic about Seattle at Pittsburgh, that 15-point line concerns me. Then again, my thinking may be clouded because I got burnt by going with the Steelers last week. I over estimated the history between the two teams and changes to the Ravens roster while under estimating the effect of Pittsburgh's age on defense and the deficiencies they still have on their offensive line.

It's a tough week to find an underdog I have a lot of faith in to cover the spread, and some of the favorites are favored by so much I'm hesitant to wager anything on them winning by that much.

As much as I agree with your logic about Seattle at Pittsburgh, that 15-point line concerns me. Then again, my thinking may be clouded because I got burnt by going with the Steelers last week. I over estimated the history between the two teams and changes to the Ravens roster while under estimating the effect of Pittsburgh's age on defense and the deficiencies they still have on their offensive line.

It's a tough week to find an underdog I have a lot of faith in to cover the spread, and some of the favorites are favored by so much I'm hesitant to wager anything on them winning by that much.

The past couple of years, the Steelers have struggled to cover these large spreads, but I live in Seattle, my girlfriend makes me watch that joke of a team quite often and they remind me of the 2004 Dolphins. Can't block anybody, don't tackle well, can't cover, special teams are a zoo; they might wind up with Andrew Luck.

Notice I only put 1 unit on that game. I really don't have a TON of faith in the Steelers to cover that spread, but they really should.

And I had them beating Blatimore last week too, my friend. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking about betting on the Bengals. Please talk me out of it.

The past couple of years, the Steelers have struggled to cover these large spreads, but I live in Seattle, my girlfriend makes me watch that joke of a team quite often and they remind me of the 2004 Dolphins. Can't block anybody, don't tackle well, can't cover, special teams are a zoo; they might wind up with Andrew Luck.

Notice I only put 1 unit on that game. I really don't have a TON of faith in the Steelers to cover that spread, but they really should.

And I had them beating Blatimore last week too, my friend. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I should have taken your advice on that one.

I had the Bears, Steelers, Rams and SF/Sea under at 3 units each; 1-3 among those so-called best bets. Then 2 units each for the Texans, Lions, 49ers and Bengals/Browns under; would have been 4-0 among that group if not for the Browns defense brain lock leading to an easy TD after the 2 minute warning. 4-4 overall but minus two units.

Last edited:
Tough week for predictions.

I personally went 10-6 SU.

Can't argue with most of this weeks picks (inc ATS) - apart from Miami.

I think people (as usual) are vastly overrating the Texans - just because the Colts have fallen out of the picture they still have all the usual issues against the rest of the league.

Namely, losing key games they are supposed to win.

Miami D will be hurt after mondays humiliation and will surely be better - Henne and the offense will take alot of confidence from their performance.

Miami over texans SU.

I'm thinking about betting on the Bengals. Please talk me out of it.

Do you really want to bet on the Bengals being good on the road? Or in back-to-back games?

Actually my initial reaction when Palmer retired and then they traded Ochocinco was that they would be the favorite to be the worst team in the AFC, if not the NFL. But check out their schedule:

Beat the Browns 27-17
at Denver
San Francisco
Buffalo
at Jacksonville
Indianapolis

They could actually have a winning record, if not one of the best records in the league going into their week 7 bye! Gets a lot tougher after that in the second half of the season though:

at Seattle
at Houston
Pittsburgh
at Baltimore
Cleveland
at Pittsburgh
Houston
at St. Louis
Arizona
Baltimore

Tough week for predictions.

I personally went 10-6 SU.

Can't argue with most of this weeks picks (inc ATS) - apart from Miami.

I think people (as usual) are vastly overrating the Texans - just because the Colts have fallen out of the picture they still have all the usual issues against the rest of the league.

Namely, losing key games they are supposed to win.

Miami D will be hurt after mondays humiliation and will surely be better - Henne and the offense will take alot of confidence from their performance.

Miami over texans SU.

Just remember, there is one team in the NFL Miami has never beaten. It's the Texans. :(

Can't see pats scoring 42 on that defense. I think it will be a bit more low scoring with pats winning 24-20 winning on a goal line stop.

Just remember, there is one team in the NFL Miami has never beaten. It's the Texans. :(

I'm not sure I buy into that as a huge factor.

How many times have they played in the last 3 seasons?

I'm not sure I buy into that as a huge factor.

How many times have they played in the last 3 seasons?

They beat us in '08 and '09. The '09 game was over at half-time and in '08, it was just after we had busted out the Wildcat on you then upset San Diego at home; Matt Schaub took a QB draw in on 4th and goal to win it. This all game after Andre Johnson made an impossible catch on 4th and forever to extend that drive.

They just get us every time, some way, some how.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots