Welcome to PatsFans.com

Week 2 Pats TV across the country

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by jmt57, Sep 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +795 / 1 / -3

Here's a look at the television coverage across the country for this week's game. Out-of-towners without Sunday Ticket or Slingbox should be able to get the game on their local channels throughout the eastern half of the US, except in Florida where they will be treated to Miami - Arizona.

http://www.the506.com/nflmaps/2008-02-CBS2.html

See those two gray areas on the map, in Tampa and Seattle? They don't get any CBS late game - even though CBS has the doubleheader. The reason for this is that the NFL has a rule that prohibits the broadcast of an NFL game opposite the local team's home game. In this case, Seattle and Tampa have 4:00 home games - which are televised because they are sold out - but because they are home, the CBS (AFC) game is blacked out.

Apparently the logic is that the NFL doesn't want people staying home (and not spending money on $8 beers) to watch a game on TV that they may find more compelling - even after they've already paid for their ticket. Seems to me that the game being broadcast on TV isn't going to sway a whole lot of people from throwing away the money they spent on tickets to watch the local game. Lost in all that logic is that if somebody's not interested in attending, it's very easy to find a sports bar showing every NFL game - and if they don't care about throwing away $150 on tickets, they're not going to sweat their bar tab watching the better game on TV.

Sounds like an outdated and obsolete NFL rule. Actually what I find most surprising is that the networks agreed to go along with this idea. Considering the amount of money they are paying to the NFL for broadcasting rights, I'm surprised that they're willing to give up a couple of markets every week, even though those games would obviously lag behind the local game in ratings.

Here's an idea for the NFL: go back to how it was in the AFL - NFL days, when both networks broadcast two games, one at 1pm and another at 4pm. That would result in about 20 more games being beamed into every living room in every market each year. The NFL can charge the networks even more money, and the fans would have even more choice. While ratings for individual games may dip, the total number of people watching should increase - making the networks and their adverisers happy.

2. NE_Paddy

NE_Paddy Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Man! That sucks! I'm down in Houston and power will cut at any moment due to Ike. Of course this is the Sunday that the Pats are on down here!

3. Section103

Section103 Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

I actually I bet they keep the rule so that the home stations can charge more in their markets for advertising than they otherwise would if there were multiple games. It creates a premium on that time slot. I think home teams get a larger slice of the TV revenue in markets in which their teams are the home team. Not sure, but that's what I'm thinking.

4. SVN

SVN Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +1,605 / 13 / -10

stuck with oak/kc in the morning and SD/denver in the noon here in the bay area :(

5. pheenix11

pheenix11 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +72 / 1 / -1

And this is why I got Directv. Living in Tampa I would have been stuck with watching the ****ty Bucs. Actually I would be staring at the wall since it is more entertaining than the Bucs.

6. SammyBlueCat

SammyBlueCat Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +19 / 2 / -0

#12 Jersey

I want Direct-TV :mad:

7. PatsFan24

PatsFan24 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

yeah i love that site. we have been lucky to get a lot of pats games the last year, usually we would get endless denver games

8. NovaScotiaPatsFan

NovaScotiaPatsFan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#50 Jersey

Awwwwwwwwww crap. Jim Nantz...

9. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,515 / 19 / -8

#3 Jersey

If you hate Jim Nantz, last season must have driven you crazy. :)

10. The Dynasty

The Dynasty In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I actually dont mind Jim Nantz...what dont you like about him?

11. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,502 / 20 / -4

#12 Jersey

Crap, I'm stuck watching Denver/SD. Sopcast it is.

12. mtbykr

mtbykr PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

#37 Jersey

Don't complain about Nantz.............watch a NFL Network broadcast with Bryant Gumball and it will cure your Nantz problems!

13. Boston Jay

Boston Jay 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

If it weren't for DirecTV I'd be watching the Dolphins vs Cards.. *vomit*

And yes, I remember watching the Steelers/Rams Thursday night NFLN game on mute because of Gumbel. Absolutely horrid.

14. 420jim

420jim On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Vegas Baby, every game, every week. :D

Sorry, I didn't mean rub salt in your tv schedual wound

15. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I have Direct TV and the Sunday Ticket. I'm very nervous as we are getting soaked with lots of rain here in Chicago. Went off yesterday, hoping for a clearer day today.

16. Rossmci90

Rossmci90 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

On TV in the UK aswell, so get decent quality (although not HD) rather than crappy Sopcast streams :)

17. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

1:00pm
    Colts @ Vikings (CBS)
    Giants @ Rams (FOX)

4:15pm
    Pats @ Jets (CBS)

Nice lineup for me this afternoon. Would love to see the Colts go 0-2 with the Jags coming up next week and of course always rooting against the Giants.

18. groganbootleg

groganbootleg Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +2 / 3 / -0

#12 Jersey

Checked the DVR last night and ......YES! I get to see the demise of Favre live and in HD.
    For some reason they seem to think that people in the DC area want to see the Ravens (we don't), so we usually have to watch that crappy game.

19. cincipatsfan

cincipatsfan Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Then give them a call. They're still offering a good deal if you sign up for ST.

For me, this is week one of "why I didn't need to pay for ST"....

20. Zeke_Mowatt

Zeke_Mowatt Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

I just can't justify the craptacular DirecTV garbage, lost signals etc for 16 weeks, plus my wife is not a fan of having a big dish on the roof, and since there is ZERO chance I'm missing this game and/or watching the 'lphins vs. Cards, looks like I'm headed for a sports bar. Just pray that I can actually find a seat for a 4:00 game opposite the crappy dolphins. I still don't understand the mentality of giving sunday ticket to one satellite company only...it's mind boggling. I'd pay double what the DirecTV thing costs if I could just keep cable and see the games. Stupid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.