PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 2 Observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remix 6

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Simple. We were outplayed

-Tom Brady: Never had a chance to get in a rhythm..timing with WRs way off with Welker out

-RBs: I thought they all ran hard. Maroney was nice in blitz pickup while I saw Taylor get pushed over and Faulk missed with a chip attempt in the 4th

-Line: I'm not comfortable with them. Jets front guys overpowered while the LBs just shot through gaps. The 3rd down attempt on the Taylor carry was terrible..Ellis came through almost untouched on backside

-TEs: Couple holding penalties..Watson improving as a receiver though

-WRs: Moss wasn't going to have a big game with the amount of time Brady had and the man opposite side of the ball(Revis is a great one). Edelman had a bunch of good looking plays and some missed opportunities but he is a project but needs to learn how to line up because Moss was constantly telling him to get off or on the line of scrimmage. Physically hes a nice player..mentally needs work but understandable as he is a conversion. Galloway has more drops than catches. Him and Brady have no timing or connection...and hes often let balls hit his hands and drop. We need Welker BADLY

-Defense Line: Wilfork needs to be extended and we need to find some pass rush. Yes last week we got some from TBC but nothings consistent. We get to QB every once in a while. Jarvis Green was better as a sub to Seymour..he hasnt done much first 2 weeks. Maybe its the 4-3 but he needs to make plays

-Linebackers: Thomas needed that INT ..Guyton made the tackles and they didnt run all over us so it was a good sign I guess but thats largely thanks to Wilfork anchoring us

-DBs: Wilhite missed few tackles but had a nice 1 but didnt seem to wanna take part in too much contact when the ball is run whether it was on kickoff or defense . McGowan and Meriweather tackled well but McGowan was a little too far ahead on that TD to Keller. A little more depth and I'd say he had a good game. Sanders wasnt visible besides 1 decent hit.

Overall defensively..we DO NOT FLY TO THE BALL. We are conservative and thats a shame considering we have some good speed in the secondary and at the LB position. When someone catches the ball or runs the ball..we seem to just wait for them. Why cant we attack the ball and fly and make an immediate hit? The only guy I see consistently flying in is Meriweather who looks like a bullet trying to kill someone everytime..McGowan actually attacks the ball as well

What we need:
-Welker to come back
-Intensity/energy on defense to fly to ball and show we aren't intimidated

Positives..hard to find many but some played well
-Wilfork..bunch of tackles and immovable most of the time
-RBs: I thought they ran hard when given the chance against a great D
-Mike Wright: Early sack and then a deflection that should've been picked by Thomas

CONS..do i need to?

oh and penalties...seriously? WHERE WAS OUR DISCIPLINE?

This defense needs to be tweaked with, this sit back and relax defense is going to have trouble creating turnovers. No intensity, no flying to the football, and absolutely no blitzing. This is the most vanilla defense Ive seen from a BB team.

Anyone notcie on D : AD and Ty were on the sideline for a coulpe of big third downs why are two of our best pass rushers on the sideline ??????:confused:

Julian Edelman looked absolutely lost presnap. Randy Moss had to get him on/off the line a couple of times, and he was probably responsible for at least one of the delay of game penalties.

Joey Galloway looks absolutely lost postsnap. If he kept his feet on 2nd and 20 on the second to last drive, he sprints down the sideline for at least a first down. Instead, he trips over himself trying to get outside for only a 9 yard game. Lots of times he looked like he just wasn't where he was supposed to be...

Pretty bad playcalling... why abandon the run? Why not roll protection one way or the other (a la Super Bowl 38) on more pass plays? No sacks, but hurried 15 times...

I wasn't overly impressed with the defense, either... a lot of the Jets ineptitude in the first half was not unleashing Mark Sanchez, not anything special New England was doing. When they did put the ball in Sanchez's hands in the second half, we all saw what happened... the only reason the offense got the ball back at all with 5+ mins left was because Sanchez missed a wide open Keller on the sideline...

Even the kick coverages teams were poor all day... Hanson shanked one punt, but boomed another, and Gost was solid, as usual...

All in all, quite a crap fest today... Atlanta didn't look overly impressive today at home against a fledgling Carolina team, so hopefully they can get back on track....

The fact that the Patriots had all the billboard material and was playing inspired football, and still lost in a pretty convincing fashion isn't a good sign. I know its only week two. but, I think the rest of the league has found our kryptonite - pin your ears back and go after #12.

Good assessment.

The defense looked on their heels all game. If you have athletes you want them playing on their toes. This read and react stuff makes for a slow D.

No NFL team can rush four guys the entire game and expect to win. The refusal to blitz even on third and long mystifies me. One third and long with the Jets backed up was a carbon copy of the Favre third and fifteen killer last year. No rush. No coverage.
Still, the D gave the O a lot of chances. And, in the end, the offense scored 9 points. Edelman had his third down drop. inside the ten. Brady missed a wide-open Edleman for a TD. And turns out, that was all she wrote.

Bottom line in this league if you hold a team to 16 points you have every expectation you should win the game.

PITIFUL performance on offense on the field and on the sidelines. Coaching included. Pitiful.

All I have to say is we need to make more committment to running the ball. I think we can run the ball - the pieces are in place. Obviously the ball in Tom's hands gives us a better chance to win but he won't survive with this pressure all season long ... he's not 24 anymore.

I dont mind James Sanders at all, but having him as a role models sucks. It seems like all the new guys start playing like him while the backs get 5 extra yards to run up field until they stumble across a defender instead of getting chased down.

Seriously...why the refusal to blitz...especially on third and long? Confused, very confused. We have ZERO pass rush and that kills us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes