PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 2 -- Getting out of BBQ to see Pats game

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlitzFritz

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
So last week's strategy of taking the wives to Gillette and upgrading to club seats was a success. My wife is now on board with the story around the Pats season, and is dismayed about TB injury.
(http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=115966)

Now Week 2 -- Some lame friends have scheduled their annual BBQ party at 3pm on Sunday. WTF!!! (Sacrilige). This is SO PAINFUL for me - I usually watch away games in my cave-like barn on a big hi def screen - no phone call interruptions allowed etc.

Dear Patsfans, what is the right strategy now?

1. Use all good will from last week, and basically refuse to go to the party. "Cassel's first game (against ManJudas!!) is too important." I used this approach before (e.g., 2004 Ravens mud game to get out of a concert date with my wife when they changed the game time.) However this would definitely put me in a marital net negative position heading into week 3....

2. DVR the game, which sucks because it will be impossible to avoid information about the game during the party. Plus, watching a DVR game is not the same. It always feels rushed, fast forwarding through commercials, inbetween plays etc.

3. Sit and watch the game at the party, be totally anti-social, and not give a **** what anyone thinks. This would be difficult, and require strong powers of concentration. I also might take on some damage from my wife, but certainly not as much as #1.

Unfortunately, given how early in the season this is, I am leaning toward #3. If this were December, I would be leaning toward #1.
(secret hope -- potential rainstorms wash out the party!!)

Looking for answers and brilliant advice,
FRITZ :confused:

man, u are forgetting the age old get-out-of-something card....

come down with a fever on saturday....

So last week's strategy of taking the wives to Gillette and upgrading to club seats was a success. My wife is now on board with the story around the Pats season, and is dismayed about TB injury.
(http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=115966)

Now Week 2 -- Some lame friends have scheduled their annual BBQ party at 3pm on Sunday. WTF!!! (Sacrilige). This is SO PAINFUL for me - I usually watch away games in my cave-like barn on a big hi def screen - no phone call interruptions allowed etc.

1. Use all good will from last week, and basically refuse to go to the party. "Cassel's first game (against ManJudas!!) is too important." I used this approach before (e.g., 2004 Ravens mud game to get out of a concert date with my wife when they changed the game time.) However this would definitely put me in a marital net negative position heading into week 3....

2. DVR the game, which sucks because it will be impossible to avoid information about the game during the party. Plus, watching a DVR game is not the same. It always feels rushed, fast forwarding through commercials, inbetween plays etc.

3. Sit and watch the game at the party, be totally anti-social, and not give a **** what anyone thinks. This would be difficult, and require strong powers of concentration. I also might take on some damage from my wife, but certainly not as much as #1.

Unfortunately, given how early in the season this is, I am leaning toward #3. If this were December, I would be leaning toward #1.

If you hold your nose with your index finger and thumb, close your mouth, and try with all your might to force whatever air is in your lungs out through your ears and tear ducts, while the moon is full after 3.72 beers, occasionally two small, ovoid shaped objects might just descend into the space between your legs. If this happens, choose #1 and be a football fan. If not, go with #2 and take solace in the fact that you and your wife have a wonderful relationship, you love her more than anything in the world, and your friends are way more important than any silly athletic competition! ;)

#1 all the way. It's just a BBQ. Explain how ridiculous it was for a BBQ to be scheduled on a Sunday during football season.

Game is on a 4:15.

I go with #3.

No matter what is going on with the 1:00 games be ready to leave the house the instant your wife is.

Tailgate from 3-4:15. Make no effort to watch any of the 1:00 games a friends house. Get in as much socializing etc as you can in the 1:15. Then retreat to the TV with half of everyone else at the party.

Talk to wife before party. Make it so plan 3 is a compromise from plan 1.

My advise is that you need to establish with your wife that there are 19 3 1/2 timeframes each year that are non-negotiable.
Anthing planned during a Patriots game will have to be done without you.
Establish this up front, and avoid these issues in the future.

If you step back you will realize that there are a lot more than 67 hours a year that your wife expects to be in control of, so you arent really asking for a lot.

Dude, it's easier to get forgiveness than permission. Usually. :D

Respectfully decline invitation, or exit early due to a previous commitment.

If neither of those options are possible then I would go with the previous suggestion of socializing as much as possible from the moment you arrive till 4:15 before sitting down in front of the TV. I doubt it will be seen as being anti-social since you will surely not be alone watching the game.

1) Show up at the BBQ on time.
2) Eyeball the grilling food admiringly. Lean in close and catch your hair on fire.
3) Put your hair on fire out and head home, citing the pain. Be sure to point to your blackened scalp.
4) Watch the game from the comfort of your own home.
5) Head to the hospital after the game, if necessary.
6) Enjoy the attention from your wife who helps sooth your pain.

This is a sure-fire plan with which nothing can go wrong.

Can you take seperate cars and dissapear around 3:30 to head home to the barn?
Once the socializing has begun, you may be able to slip out the back door. How long does this bbq last anyway?
Being it's a sunday, it'l probably be over by 6:00 anyway.

This is an easy one.
Show up at the BBQ an hour early, at 2pm. This way it will seem like you've already been there for ages by the time you are ready to leave at 4pm.
Amateurs!!!

So many experts in the crowd!! My reactions so far:

1. Yes, Andy - I agree, all this should be sacrosanct. Believe me 2003 and 2004 was just like that. I need to get back to that standing. "The Pats need me, honey. I cant let them down"

2. Some interesting ideas: fake fever, arrive early!, slip out the back, set self on fire!

3. Does anyone have any pull w the rain gods? Or could Matt Cassel call my home?

Angsting in Acton

#1 all the way. It's just a BBQ. Explain how ridiculous it was for a BBQ to be scheduled on a Sunday during football season.

I agree with this one. Nobody should be having any BBQs, Christenings, Kids Birthday Partys, Weddings, Company Christmas Partys, Funerals, Baptisms, or anything else on Sundays from September all the way through to the Super Bowl. Just tell them you have tickets to the game.

Pretend to get a wicked case of the poops at 4 (lock yourself in the bathroom for 15 minutes beforehand as proof) and head off to the barn.

Or have some nuts and just be honest with your wife. Which is what I do.

So many experts in the crowd!! My reactions so far:

1. Yes, Andy - I agree, all this should be sacrosanct. Believe me 2003 and 2004 was just like that. I need to get back to that standing. "The Pats need me, honey. I cant let them down"

2. Some interesting ideas: fake fever, arrive early!, slip out the back, set self on fire!

3. Does anyone have any pull w the rain gods? Or could Matt Cassel call my home?

Angsting in Acton
Just friggin' say, "I can go, but I have to leave by 3:30 so I can watch the game."

Period.

Your wife has times when she needs to do what she needs to do whether you want to or not, and the same goes for you.

Just friggin' say, "I can go, but I have to leave by 3:30 so I can watch the game."

Period.

Your wife has times when she needs to do what she needs to do whether you want to or not, and the same goes for you.

How would you know about his situation - Are you Dear Abby?

I am sure you are not married for any experience in the matter - Did you watch a family on TV for this advice?

The guy has respect for his wife - Respect is a lost commodity in here at times

Last edited:

Period.

Exactly right.

When my wife gives me a hard time about watching 11 hours of football on Sundays I just say, "Hey, I gave you something like 7 or 10 hours every time you had to give birth and I barely complained at all, so turn on the game, go make me some kosher pigs-in-blankets, and quit yer yappin'."

Works like a charm.

Exactly right.

When my wife gives me a hard time about watching 11 hours of football on Sundays I just say, "Hey, I gave you something like 7 or 10 hours every time you had to give birth and I barely complained at all, so turn on the game, go make me some kosher pigs-in-blankets, and quit yer yappin'."

Works like a charm.

I prefer Hebrew National Hot Dogs when I am watching the game,Although my wife isn't jewish she still enjoys them anyway ;)

Exactly right.

Works like a charm.
:D Well, I was thinking more along the lines when she might want to spend time with her mother, or sister, or girlfriends, but hey! Whatever works.

Important remembering that lying and subterfuge is demeaning and undignified. Real men don't grovel. Unless it's for sex, of course. And then it can be called foreplay.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes