Welcome to PatsFans.com

Week 17 matchup: Patriots at Texans

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by jmt57, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +505 / 0 / -3

With the game 24 hours away, I figure it's about time to look at Sunday's opponent. Here's a look at the game from a writer Deep In The Heart Of Texas.

Week 17 matchup: Texans vs. Patriots by John (Die Hard?) McClain of the Houston Chronicle

You can read the rest of the column here.
  2. jmt57

Ratings:
    +505 / 0 / -3

Even with Pro Bowl nod, Mario Williams' potential unmet

Apparently the Houston media is not happy with the play of Mario Williams, who has 8 sacks and was just named to the Pro Bowl. Hey, maybe Houston will trade him for Adalius Thomas!

Pro Bowl nod aside, Mario's potential unmet by Richard Justice of the Houston Chronicle

Column continued here

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  3. convertedpatsfan

convertedpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +171 / 1 / -1

#12 Jersey

Andre Johnson is going to be a really tough match-up. Fortunately, this game doesn't count for much so I can't imagine BB pulling out any tricks to stop him.
  4. jmt57

Ratings:
    +505 / 0 / -3

Schaub has history against Pats

Schaub has history against Pats by John McClain of the Houston Chronicle

5. jmt57

Ratings:
    +505 / 0 / -3

Pollard, Brady revisit battle of wounded knee

Pollard, Brady revisit battle of wounded knee by John McClain of the Houston Chronicle

There's also a short video where Pollard talks about meeting Brady on the field for the first time since last year's injury.

Pollard video
  6. jmt57

Ratings:
    +505 / 0 / -3

No receiver in the NFL is a bigger part of his team's offense then Andre Johnson. Johnson has been targeted a league-high 163 times; by comparison Randy Moss has been thrown to 131 times and Wes Welker has been targeted 160 times. Johnson has 95 receptions, which is tied for 4th with Reggie Wayne; an NFL-high 1504 yards - 168 more yards than Welker, who ranks second; and had 9 receiving touchdowns, which is 7th best in the NFL. He's averaging 15.8 yards per catch, which is 6th best among receivers with at least 1000 yards.

So how much does Houston depend on Johnson? Think of this: add up the receiving yards of the #2 receiver (Kevin Walter, 581), and the rushing yards of their top two running backs (Steve Slaton, 437; Ryan Moats, 373), and that's still more than 100 less yards than Johnson's receiving yardage.
  7. jmt57

Ratings:
    +505 / 0 / -3

Texans Report: Strategy and Personnel

Texans report: Strategy and personnel by The Sports Exchange for cbssports.com

8. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +336 / 21 / -2

Of course no one is talking about the real matchups, the first string of Houston against our second and thrid string players.
  9. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Re: Texans Report: Strategy and Personnel

These are all individual matchups. On paper Houston beats us, but in the game they will lose, because the coaching is inconsistent and their game-planning leaves something to be desired for. That is why Kubiak is on his way out. Matt Bowen picked the Texans as his surprise sleeper team, and I'm sure anyone else would do, looking at their strengths on paper, but execution and proper game planning is entirely something else.
  10. jmt57

Ratings:
    +505 / 0 / -3

Re: Texans Report: Strategy and Personnel

Yeah, I had forgotten that they were the trendy pick before the season started for the team that would make a big leap into the playoffs in 2009. As much as we have been upset by the outcome of close games by the Pats, they've got to be kicking themselves about that even more in Houston. The Texans are 4-6 in games decided by 8 points or less and had an 0-3 midseason stretch where they lost those three games by a total of 14 points.

Not much balance on their offense: their offense ranks 2nd in passing yards with 291, but ranks 31st in rushing with 88.7 yards per game. Their defense is still very average: 15th in points allowed (20.4); 14th in yards allowed (325.4); 17th in passing yards (216.3); and 13th in rushing yards (109.1).

On a side note, all the draft second guessers will get to see Brian Cushing and Connor Barwin.
  11. convertedpatsfan

convertedpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +171 / 1 / -1

#12 Jersey

Agreed, he is the key to that offense. But for all the targets and receptions and yards, I haven't really seen Schaub forcing the ball to Johnson. He just always seems to find a way to get open, apart from that first game against Revis.
  12. Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes Rookie

Ratings:
    +132 / 13 / -10

I find Pollard's body language very interesting, specifically his head being generally downward and how he keeps putting his hand over his mouth.
  13. The Dynasty

The Dynasty Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I actually would like to see BB play the defensive starters longer than the offense. The defense hasnt exactly proven themselves against a quality offense yet this season. This week gives them a good opportunity to do so. I think playing them into the 4th quarter would give them a good benchmark as to where they are against top offenses like they will be facing in the playoffs.
  14. jmt57

Ratings:
    +505 / 0 / -3

While I'd like the momentum and confidence continue to build, I think players like Wilfork and Warren being that much closer to 100% healthy might be a higher priority.
  15. The Dynasty

The Dynasty Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes you're right. I should have been more clear and said secondary should play into the 4th quarter.
  16. jmt57

Ratings:
    +505 / 0 / -3

Five things to watch for

From Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald: Five things to watch in the Patriots-Texans game

1. - How long Brady plays
    2. - Whether the Pats can contain Andre Johnson
    3. - Can the Pats keep pounding on the ground
    4. - Are the Pats focused on this week or next
    5. - Can the Pats stay confident no matter what

Patriots Daily has a look at the key Houston players here: QB Matt Schaub, RB Arian Foster, WR Andre Johnson, DE Mario Williams, and LB DeMeco Ryans.

First Impressions – the Houston Texans | Patriots Daily
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.