Welcome to PatsFans.com

Week 16 Pats at Bills pre-game analysis and opinions

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by jmt57, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +521 / 0 / -3

Week 16: New England Patriots (12-2) at Buffalo Bills (4-10)
    1:00 ET at Ralph Wilson Stadium, Orchard Park NY

Post your thoughts on the game, keys to the game, pre-game analysis, and any other comments worth mentioning about Sunday's game that don't warrant their own separate thread here.

With the Bills not being a team that draws much national interest, looks like it will be off to the local sports bar for out of town fans that do not have a subscription to the Sunday Ticket:

2010 week 16 - Everything you need to know about sports on television - the506.com

Kevin Harlan and Solomon Wilcots are the announcers; not too often that they call a Pats game.

2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

Well looking ahead looks like cold temps (18-21F) not excessive, chance of snow showers, thew question is how will the wind be. The Bills have been improving and have been in a lot of games (shoulda beat the Steelers a few weeks ago). They will play hard as they usually do. I am looking for the D to raise their game this week. Hope to see some guys on the D line get healthy.

The team should be motivated with BB beating on them for the flat performance last week. That and the chance to wrap up the division, and the first seed in the AFC shoud provide plenty of motivation.

The first T-shirt and hat game of the season (hopefully the first of 3). IF we come out flat doesn't bode well for the playoffs.

3. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +183 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

I have not seen the Bills play since our game with them. All I know is that have been 4-2 over the past 6 games. This will be their statement game of the year if they can win.

A very dangerous team at this point.

Depth Chart

4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

To expand they are 4-5 in their last 9 after a tough start BUT 3 of those losses are OT losses to Pitt, Balt and KC and a 3 pt loss to CHI. Pretty impressive.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  5. Sean Pa Patriot

Sean Pa Patriot Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

this is not a given... the bills will come to play, with christmas week its a short week.. we have 14 games in a row, sooner or later the streak is goin to end, just hope it could wait another year.. would like to clinch this thing this weekend

6. jmt57

Ratings:
    +521 / 0 / -3

Fitz's season more than just production | BuffaloBills.com | Chris Brown

Bills Prepare to Measure Themselves Against Pats | New York Times | AP

7. jmt57

Ratings:
    +521 / 0 / -3

Emory Hunt, the self-proclaimed 'Czar of the Playbook', previews the matchup.

YouTube - Football Gameplan's 2010 NFL Week 16 Preview (New England Patriots vs Buffalo Bills)

On offense Hunt suggests the Pats try to get Danny Woodhead open in space to create a mismatch against Buffalo's linebackers, perhaps lining him up in the slot a few times. On defense he suggests the Pats defensive backs get a bump on the Bills receivers, play close to the line of scrimmage, which will force Fitzpatrick to wait longer for the route to develop - which will help the pass rush.

For Buffalo he suggests the Bills try to run a lot of off tackle runs and screen passes on offense; on defense the Bills have to bring pressure and find a way to force Brady out of the pocket.

8. sevengables_2207

sevengables_2207 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

With any luck, Brace and/or Pryor will be back in action this Sunday. They will be needed if the focal point of the Patriots defensive game-plan will be to shut down Fred Jackson and the Bills running game. Also, the team as a whole must do a much better job of tackling than they did last Sunday against the Packers.

9. Brettlax3434

Brettlax3434 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think this is a measuring stick game for the defense. The Bills torched us in the first meeting and their offense has gotten much better as Fitzpatrick has gained experience. Our defense has also gotten better. If the defense could make the adjustments and shut down the Bills offense this time around, it could be a good sign for the playoffs.

10. upstater1

upstater1 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +70 / 4 / -3

The top lineman on the Bills, Hangartner, isn't playing, and Lee Evns just went on IR. Evans has had a bad year so not sure how big a loss it is.

I'd be more worried about the Bills defense than the Bills offense in this game. Their OL is hurting badly.

11. jmt57

Ratings:
    +521 / 0 / -3

It Is What It Is - Pats practice: Tom Brady, Dan Connolly among 8 not spotted - Christopher Price

Ron Brace Feeling 'Back to Normal' After Suffering Concussion in Chicago - NESN.com - Jeff Howe

12. TPL

TPL On the Roster

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

13. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Re: Bills WR's Unknown To Even Belichick

I am curious to see how we will handle their 4-3. The last time we played them, they were not doing so well with the 3-4 they had attempted to transition to.

From what I hear, they are doing better with the 4-3 and I would be interested to see if that formation is a better run-stopper for them, if it has resulted in reduced run stats against them.

The weather is obviously going to be bad up in Buffalo this weekend.

14. terabthia2

terabthia2 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I see the Patriots taking care of business and winning this game this weekend. Probably will be a grind-out win, but they'll win.

They KNOW the HFA is in sight and they'd rather do it this week than next week and have to scoreboard watch and see what the Jets are doing, despite their endless distractions. The Pats were cruising along before the wake-up-call last week and whatever inadvertent complacency they might have had I'm sure will be excised this week. The Bills will bring their A game but so will the Pats, and in the end that will be what makes the difference. We want the HFA/#1 and they want it too, so this week they go out and do it.

Go Pats! Top seed!

15. jmt57

Ratings:
    +521 / 0 / -3

Thanks for that link, that's interesting. Like you said, it is not like Belichick to not know his upcoming opponent - and it is definitely not like him to give the upcoming opponent anything remotely resembling any bulletin board material as an extra incentive.

My guess is that it was a temporary brain lock. If nothing else I'm sure at minimum he knows those receivers and their tendencies by the number of their jersey from watching film on them.

16. robertweathers

robertweathers Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +49 / 1 / -0

Hell Andre Reed is still in my dreams. He scorched the Pats. The again, who didn't in the early 90s.

17. jmt57

Ratings:
    +521 / 0 / -3

More news from Buffalo. Although Lee Evans is on IR, they are relatively healthy right now.

Three Bills Miss Wednesday's Practice - WGR 550 SportsRadio - Home of the Buffalo Sabres

Patriots' Hex Over Bills Still At 14 - WGR 550 SportsRadio - Home of the Buffalo Sabres

18. TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I was looking forward to someone saying that it was the Buffalo Bills' Super Bowl (only the Bills get to have 2 Super Bowls a year; the first was when they came to Foxboro. :) ).

I guess if the Bills can be dangerous (do the Pats now have a 15 game winning streak against them?), than any team can be dangerous.

19. jmt57

Ratings:
    +521 / 0 / -3

Some quotes from Buffalo coach Chain Gailey at Wednesday's press conference.

Chan Gailey: Patriots 'working very well right now' - Extra Points - Boston.com

20. jmt57

Ratings:
    +521 / 0 / -3

More on Hangartner's replacement, C Eric Wood, and the Bills' offensive line:

Hangartner's return uncertain - Bills & NFL - The Buffalo News

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.