PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 13 Pats - Colts Post-Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't get to see the game. I got rid of Sunday ticket months ago and today was the first time the game wasn't on local TV in my area. So I don't know what happened here. Did Hoyer play? Were starters pulled in the fourth? what the he'll was the defense doing? I know it was McCourty's first game back in awhile so I am going to assume he played poorly.

Hoyer played one series in the 4th quarter. Handed it off 3 times to Ridley. The run blocking wasn't great.

They defense fell asleep in the 4th quarter and got lazy and allowed the Colts back in it.

As for McCourty, he was clearly rusty. He got beat, though, by some damn good plays by Orlovsky and Garcon. Over-all, he was average.

I agree. A win is a win but the 4th quarter was very poor.

Its one thing giving up a sh*t load of yards, but when they also give up 3 td.s

In the context of who you were fielding - essentially most your 3rd stringers and ST players seeing extended time on defense - it's not unusual for teams to lose focus when up by 4 scores... It's human nature and this was both an experiment of sorts and a teaching moment, hopefully for the coaching staff as well as the players because it wasn't fun to watch down the stretch and it certainly wasn't remotely understood in that context by the kneejerks in the fanbase. But then they seldom appreciate context...

Except for Slater, the D was in its base 4-3. No fancy plays other than your standard extra man or two for the blitz. The D just mentally checked out of the game after we got up to 34-3.

Actually, the defense played about half the game in the 3-4 with Koutevides playing out there next to Mayo. But I agree with you otherwise.

Pats let their foot off the gas. Young guys tend to do then when up BIG on a team 0-11. BB will kick their ass this week. Will be a learning process and things like this may actually help them later down the road

Oh I saw the problem. The Pats got lazy and let up. Period, end of story. Everyone crying that it's much more than that are making fools of themselves.

please explain how McCourty just getting beat is the patriots letting up?

Hoyer played one series in the 4th quarter. Handed it off 3 times to Ridley. The run blocking wasn't great.

They defense fell asleep in the 4th quarter and got lazy and allowed the Colts back in it.

As for McCourty, he was clearly rusty. He got beat, though, by some damn good plays by Orlovsky and Garcon. Over-all, he was average.
Ok, thanks. It appeared to be going very well at 31-3, I go upstairs to put my kid to sleep and come down to that very disappointing and surprising final score.

Except for Slater, the D was in its base 4-3. No fancy plays other than your standard extra man or two for the blitz. The D just mentally checked out of the game after we got up to 34-3.

thanks for explaining. but then it sounds like it was really a psychological thing that caused the 4th q debacle. that's something that can be fixed fairly easily. i'm sure the players will get an earful from BB this week. I really don't expect this team (even this shaky defense) to soften up so drastically in a closer game against a better opponent.

Again, I get the point....we won the game....Like every Vegas hack had us doing CONVINCINGLY, yet we won by only one TD. But let's look ahead to the playoffs....you think this kind of sloppy, inability to close the game,inconsistency, lack of pass rush/pressure is going to get us past the first round?? I don't. We can not run the ball WHEN IT COUNTS. Our D can not make the big stop (Especially in the secondary) WHEN IT COUNTS....and we CAN NOT get the pressure....when we need to.

I am happy for the win.....Believe that we will definitely make it to the playoffs....but do not see at this point REALISTICALLY...how we do not exit early once again. Hope I am wrong.....

yeah...we can't do anything right...why, just look at the four consecutive scoring possessions....Brady moving the ball downfield at will...and then, the dreaded fourth quarter with a 31-3 lead...they run for five yards and Brady throws this pass to Hernandez behind the line after motioning him all over the place and the Colts defender sees it from five yards back of the LOS and runs in and blows it up!!...I LOVE that play...never seen it before...but I LOVE IT!!! why pass downfield at will when you can surprise teams with these backwards negative plays!!! Let's go right back to Hernandez again...THIS time he's got the safety beat 20 yards downfield...the safety runs into him never looking back with his hands up...incomplete....who knew that could have been the play of the game? He makes that catch or gets the call and we weeeee-un by FOURTEEN!!!...of course, if Brady just lines up and calls three running plays there, there is NO TIME left at the end for that last Indy score but what else is new...he already had five yards in the bag....instead they run plays from sets no one has seen before...wonder why?...you'd think there'd be a reason...right?

The secondary played matador D the entire 4th quarter...Mayo blitzed once and nearly murdered Orlavsky...it was there the entire game...they called 4 man rush predominantly and Garcon repeatedly ran the same identical sideline go and got the exact same defensive response....yeah, it looked terrible because it was...that doesn't mean those calls will be used in a COMPETITIVE game...or else they would have been called the entire game and Orlavsky would have thrown for 900 yards.

In my lifetime I've seen games like this maybe a 100 times...the key is to get out of it with a win, do not let it go to overtime and do not LOSE it. They did that. You want to extrapolate this game out into the playoffs go right ahead, if paranoia is your security blanket.

Ok, thanks. It appeared to be going very well at 31-3, I go upstairs to put my kid to sleep and come down to that very disappointing and surprising final score.

That's like an omen

Pet owner Pats fans Please do NOT put your dog to sleep during a Pats playoff game!

I agree that it was disappointing because the defense wasn't playing the way it should in the 4th quarter. And I have to say that Bill out-right lied when he said that the pats put the best people on the field. Slater isn't better than Moore at safety.

In fact, what I found curious is that the Pats went with 3 safeties against the Colts multi-receiver sets instead of bring in Molden to play outside with Arrington moving to the slot.

Nate Jones played pretty decently out there. Definitely better than Sergio Brown or Matt Slater. About on par with Ihedigbo. The defense definitely needs Chung and Spikes back.

this is just turning into a straw man fest, im outta here.
76933196-I'm-out-fore-here-.gif

Last edited:
The patriots did not let their foot off the gas. I'M reallllllllllllly starting to think there's a stamina issue with the patriots...The first 3 quarters they play tight, then all of a sudden the opposing offense gets big play after big play.

This game reminded me of the that giants game a few weeks back....good thing the score was out of hand early.

please explain how McCourty just getting beat is the patriots letting up?

Brian Hoyer playing almost half the 4th quarter is the definition of letting up.

Better to win ugly than lose pretty.

I was really angry after that fourth quarter, but a win is a win. I like that the team is treating it like a loss. Maybe they'll have their usual follow-up performance to a loss and steamroll Washington.

Better to win ugly than lose pretty.

I was really angry after that fourth quarter, but a win is a win. I like that the team is treating it like a loss. Maybe they'll have their usual follow-up performance to a loss and steamroll Washington.
Absolutely, however many of us are reacting to what doesn't appear to be fixed on defense. Nothing more or nothing less I'd suggest.

In the context of who you were fielding - essentially most your 3rd stringers and ST players seeing extended time on defense - it's not unusual for teams to lose focus when up by 4 scores... It's human nature and this was both an experiment of sorts and a teaching moment, hopefully for the coaching staff as well as the players because it wasn't fun to watch down the stretch and it certainly wasn't remotely understood in that context by the kneejerks in the fanbase. But then they seldom appreciate context...
But they're professionals right ? I understand there was a big lead. I understand someone didn't want to get hurt. I know all of this. Its hugely frustrating to watch as a fan as I'm sure the players and staff feel frustrated by it.

Absolutely, however many of us are reacting to what doesn't appear to be fixed on defense. Nothing more or nothing less I'd suggest.

Either way it'd be hard to put stock into this performance. Say we did win 34-3, sure we might feel a little better but let's be honest it would have came against the Colts. Still not saying a whole lot as most teams can and should shut down the Colts. Giving up 21 points is crappy yeah but the defense mailed it in early, it's hard to put stock into that side of it too IMO.

The way I look at regular season is i don't get too up after a great performance and don't get too down after a crap performance. Just look on the bright side we got the W and looks like we'll be healthier next week than last. This isn't the time of the year that we want to peak anyways, it's not always bad to have your share of areas to improve.

I agree that it was disappointing because the defense wasn't playing the way it should in the 4th quarter. And I have to say that Bill out-right lied when he said that the pats put the best people on the field. Slater isn't better than Moore at safety.

In fact, what I found curious is that the Pats went with 3 safeties against the Colts multi-receiver sets instead of bring in Molden to play outside with Arrington moving to the slot.

Nate Jones played pretty decently out there. Definitely better than Sergio Brown or Matt Slater. About on par with Ihedigbo. The defense definitely needs Chung and Spikes back.
I absolutely believe BB lies through his teeth all the time with his non-answers. I have to wonder if they were trying out some new things. At least, that makes me feel a little better.

And the eventual return of Chung and Spikes makes me feel a lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back