PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 12 Random Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
1. On a conference call today with people from various cities, I was asked how the Patriots were going to get rid of Tom Brady. I did point out that no Patriot QB was on track to throw 50 TDs this season, but since that wasn't discussed on TV yesterday, nobody seemed to know what I was talking about.

2. While Cassel played great yesterday, The Sporting Press is ready to put him in the Hall of Fame before coaching staffs around the league have enough film on him to come up with a game plan to force him to make throws he's not comfortable with. I guess jumping to conclusions has become the national pastime.

3. The same Sporting Press was quick to label Belichick shortsighted (and "arrogant") for not having signed an experienced back-up. Simms and Rattay are still available, but we did miss out on Culpepper.

4. Frank Deford and a lot of others dismissed Belichick sans Tom Brady as a failure as an NFL head coach. Anybody care to reconsider?

5. Miami Herald sportswriter Edwin Pope labeled Belichick a "stubborn little troll." My question - who the ---- is Edwin Pope? Hey Edwin, when you're old enough to get on a big airplane without your mommy, you will be able to go to Canton, Ohio and learn a whole lot more about Coach Belichick.

6. Miami fans who are crying about NE running up the score forget what is was like when Don Shula coached the Dolphins against some pretty sad Patriot teams. I was in Miami for Shula's 100th coaching victory, a 52-0 shellacking of the Patriots. No mercy then, no mercy now. Grow up.

7. ESPN has-been Chris Berman (man, is his act getting stale ...) and congenital-moron-know-nothing-buffoon Tom Jackson played sound effects of a champagne bottle being opened and poured, signifying the celebration by Depends-clad-members of the undefeated Dolphins team (that was when -1933?) of the Titans loss to the Jets. Hollow and pathetic - nobody cares any more (except probably Edwin Pope).

8. Roger Goodell is considering imposing martial law so that he can scrap the play-offs and substitute a BCS-type voting procedure. The season will be declared over immediately and New York sportwriters will vote the Jets and Giants into the National Championship game. Hey Rog - be careful what you wish for. When the Yankees and the Mets played in the World Series, everybody outside of Manhatten yawned and turned their TVs off.

9. It is very troubling that many stand to lose their jobs in this troulbed economy. You can add Norv Turner to the list.

10. Steve Burton and Steve DeOssie actually discussed whether tha Patriots still have a chance to win the division. Five games left, one game behind ... What do you think?

Parting shot - since the Patriots are firmly entrenched in tiebreaker hell, this week's game against the Steelers is another must win. As Brent Musburger would say - you can't overstate the importance of this one folks.

Nice job! I can't underestimate how far Cassel has come since preseason, however as I stated in another post, you also can't underestimate how quickly this league catches up with INDIVIDUALS. Just look at Derek Anderson who had AWESOME numbers last season, and is currently a back up on a bad team. Or the Denver QB, who was being touted as being BETTER than Brady, and just got blown out by that powerful Oakland juggernaut. :rolleyes: Finally just remember when they put up that list of the 5 QBs that have thrown back to back 400+ yd games, you will find the name of Billy Voleck. ;)

Great thoughts. Funny as hell too. Post more please.

Well written.

Its to bad the colts won last night.....you could have said Dungy will be looking for a job!! :eek:

10. Steve Burton and Steve DeOssie actually discussed whether tha Patriots still have a chance to win the division. Five games left, one game behind ... What do you think?

Parting shot - since the Patriots are firmly entrenched in tiebreaker hell, this week's game against the Steelers is another must win. As Brent Musburger would say - you can't overstate the importance of this one folks.

Good post. I'd like to delve further into #10 and look at respective schedules and current tie-breaks ...

NEP
PIT
@SEA
@OAK
AZ
@BUF

NYJ
DEN
@SF
BUF
@SEA
MIA

Jets & Pats both have their toughest games at home, with Jets three more home games and Pats only two. Obviously, best case scenario for the Pats is they win out and the Jets drop games to BUF & MIA. If they do lose those two, the Pats would have the luxury of dropping any of their remainder (with the exception of BUF).

What is more likely is the Pats lose at least one more (PIT, AZ top candidates) to finish 11-5 and the Jets drop one as well but finish 12-4.

As far as tie-breaks go, divisional we obviously know, then conference records you have Jets 6-3 and Pats 5-4, this could easily end up tied.

What is the next level? Common opponents?

Just look at Derek Anderson who had AWESOME numbers last season, and is currently a back up on a bad team.

I watched Anderson last yr several times and frankly he scared the hell out of me. He seemed to lose focus when ever his team was ahead and his game would turn to crap and then he would suddenly come alive when they were behind. He reminded me of firemen who sets fires so they can be the hero who puts them out.

Cleveland should have traded him last off season and they would have been way ahead.

Roger Goodell is considering imposing martial law so that he can scrap the play-offs and substitute a BCS-type voting procedure. The season will be declared over immediately and New York sportwriters will vote the Jets and Giants into the National Championship game. Hey Rog - be careful what you wish for. When the Yankees and the Mets played in the World Series, everybody outside of Manhatten yawned and turned their TVs off.

This made me chuckle....

Well written.

Its to bad the colts won last night.....you could have said Dungy will be looking for a job!! :eek:

He will be...he's already announced he's retiring after the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes