PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 1 Patriot Player Evaluations

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNathanDrake

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Chung continues to emerge as one of our best defenders. Another solid game from him. Led the team in tackles. Great attitude and leadership, it's easy to see why BB was comfortable giving more responsibility to Chung. Looks like he'll be a cornerstone of our secondary for a long time.

-------------------------------------

Mayo looked inconsistent. He's a Top 3 true LB in some games, and then invisible in some games like yesterday. Missed a big goal line tackle on Henne on that first drive. He was in position to tackle Henne, but hesitated and froze up for a split second that was enough for Henne to get in and score. I want to chalk this up to lack of contact practices, but either way he's gotta make those stops in the redzone.

McCourty got beat by Marshall a few times, but he also won a lot of times as well. I dont think it was as bad as some people make it out to be. Keep in mind he was going one on one with one of the best WR in the league. McCourty showed me he is a fierce competitor who loves competition. He got beat on one play, and then came back and almost got an INT in the endzone on the next play.

I said it in another thread and I'll say it again, DMC never was and probably never will be a shutdown corner like Revis or Asomugha. What McCourty is, however, is a playmaker who gets INT's, makes tackles, and forces fumbles. More in the mold of Charles Woodson.

Ras-I Dowling is a pleasant surprise. I didn't think he'd be starting already. He made some good stops, especially at crucial times in the redzone. If he can stay healthy we're going to have a VERY good duo of Cornerbacks by the time playoffs come around. He has good size and is very physical. Also strong against the run. It's easy to see why BB liked him in the draft and he could end up being a steal.

Haynesworth had a big impact on the game and was the most disruptive DLineman on our team. He caused alot of hurries and hit Henne a couple times. It won't show up in stats, but Big Al's impact was definitely felt yesterday. His post-game interviews are positive and he seems genuinely happy to play for the Patriots. Give him another month of conditioning to get his legs back under him, and he's going to look like a downright STEAL for us. I think he'll continue to get even better. BB is the only coach in the NFL that could tame him and get his utmost respect.

He'll never be the "best DT in the league" anymore since Ngata and Suh are #1 and #2. But he could be right behind those guys if he gets in better shape and plays to his full potential.

Myron Pryor continues to impress me. He gets good penetration and makes plays. Solid back up in our rotation.

Brandon Spikes seems to have serious mental/emotional issues. Go check his recent tweets that were made right after the game. He's saying he feels "lost and confused in this cold world"... right after our Win. I don't think that type of crap has a place on our team. He's not nearly good enough or proven enough to be pulling saying that. I can see us drafting another MLB next year, with Fletcher and Mayo as our OLB's. Regardless of who you are or where you got drafted, BB will not hesitate to get rid of an insubordinate.

The "other Safety" was invisible tonight. I barely saw Sergio Brown or Barret last night.

Solder faced one of the best pass rushers in the league and dominated him. Wake had 1 sack. But we threw the ball 48 times. Where was Wake on every other passing play? His presence was barely felt last night, thanks to Solder's amazing protecting. The broadcast kept showing replays of Solder throwing Wake around and ragdolling him. Warren Sapp was flat out laughing about it on NFLnetwork.

The Offensive Line in general was a bright spot yesterday. Waters was impressive coming in after only being on our team for a week and playing so many snaps. He's a real roadgrader in the run game and adds a lot of nastiness to that OLine. Great pick up.

Connelly was serviceable at Center and should be our new starter since Koppen has a broken ankle.

Gronk and Hernandez. What can I say that hasnt been said already? Both look like Pro Bowlers out there. Brady looks to both of them as go-to guys. Gronk looks unstoppable and Hernandez looks more and more confident. Gotta love how AHern threw his hand up a la Randy Moss and made a jumping catch.

I thought 85 would work out fine for us, but I'm starting to doubt it. His body language and demeanor isnt the best. He made a silly penalty that ruined a huge Gronkowski catch. There were times when Brady would be sitting on the sidelines watching the game, and 85 would go and stand right infront of him. Kind of a "give me attention" type thing. Even when Welker caught the 99 yrd TD pass, and everyone was happy and celebrating, 85 was the only player that didnt look excited and happy.

Brady is at his best when he's spreading the ball around. I sure hope 85 doesnt expect to be a superstar Pro Bowler here, because we don't need him to be and he won't.

The defense has too much confidence in Brady to win games. Miami shouldnt have scored as much as they did. We shouldnt be letting teams get points on us in garbage time. I cut them some slack since it's Week 1 and they were playing in extreme humidity, but they need to put less on Brady to win games for them and start clamping down.

Woodhead and BJGE havent missed a beat since last year. Can't wait to see Ridley and Vereen later this year. They should still be fresh by playoff time and really hitting their stride by then.

Last edited:
That is a great post. Thank you for that.

I agree in your assessments. I'm not so sure about Dowling, sometimes he seemed to have his back to the ball so much. Little concerned about his quickness...at least he's willing to tackle though and is aggressive.

Haynesworth looked great and I concur about Ocho...I said he was a "no go" and I hope I"m wrong. I think he's having trouble learning a complicated playbook for one thing. I noticed his negative 40 yard play. Also another favorite around here was called for offsides the only time I noticed him out there.

Brandon Spikes seems to have serious mental/emotional issues. Go check his recent tweets that were made right after the game. He's saying he feels "lost and confused in this cold world"... right after our Win. I don't think that type of crap has a place on our team. He's not nearly good enough or proven enough to be pulling saying that. I can see us drafting another MLB next year, with Fletcher and Mayo as our OLB's. Regardless of who you are or where you got drafted, BB will not hesitate to get rid of an insubordinate.

LOL! Way to manufacture a controversy. I didn't realize the Pats played Sunday. Last night must have been a rebroadcast of the game because this tweet was posted on September 11th.

Twitter

LOL! Way to manufacture a controversy. I didn't realize the Pats played Sunday. Last night must have been a rebroadcast of the game because this tweet was posted on September 11th.

Twitter

Dude sure has his own Twitter style. But I still think "It is what it is , but it ain't what u think" is a great line; he said that last year, right?

Twitter

Sure. Regardless of weather it was Sunday or Monday night.... it's not a good thing.

Here is his most recent Tweet from 1 minute ago

"Mind in one place,Heart in another...... 1 minute ago"

He also has a picture of himself as a Florida Gator on his twitter... not as a Patriot.

Brandon Spikes has the body of a man, but the emotions of a child. The immaturity and lack of professionalism displayed on his twitter is baffling.

Sure. Regardless of weather it was Sunday or Monday night.... it's not a good thing.

Here is his most recent Tweet from 1 minute ago

"Mind in one place,Heart in another...... 1 minute ago"

He also has a picture of himself as a Florida Gator on his twitter... not as a Patriot.

Brandon Spikes has the body of a man, but the emotions of a child. The immaturity and lack of professionalism displayed on his twitter is baffling.

You do realize what the significance of September 11th is don't you? I took it as a comment of the significance of that day. I heard while watching the Ravens/Steelers game on TV, Brady bowed his head when they did a momement of silence for the victims of 9/11 which is a clear sign he regrets resigning with the Patriots.

As for his pictures, his current picture is him on a boat with what is probably his girlfriend as his avatar and him playing cards for his background.

As for his most recent tweet, you have no idea what it means. Since today is an off day for the team, maybe he is wishing he was in the film room.

Jesus, people need to stop analyzing tweets as if they mean anything. You look at a lot of tweets from players around the league and they are just as bad or worse.

Now that Meriweather and Butler are gone, I swear people are looking for a new whipping boy and trying to manufacture controversy.

Last edited:
You do realize what the significance of September 11th is don't you? I took it as a comment of the significance of that day. I heard while watching the Ravens/Steelers game on TV, Brady bowed his head when they did a momement of silence for the victims of 9/11 which is a clear sign he regrets resigning with the Patriots.

As for his pictures, his current picture is him on a boat with what is probably his girlfriend as his avatar and him playing cards for his background.

As for his most recent tweet, you have no idea what it means. Since today is an off day for the team, maybe he is wishing he was in the film room.

Jesus, people need to stop analyzing tweets as if they mean anything. You look at a lot of tweets from players around the league and they are just as bad or worse.

Now that Meriweather and Butler are gone, I swear people are looking for a new whipping boy and trying to manufacture controversy.

I hear you, but to be fair it does seem as though he might not presently be the best teammate. Just a hunch. Doesn't mean he can't grow up.

I think it's impossible to read too much into his tweets, by the way--it's like they're written in Martian.

I like all your assessments except the McCourty and Spikes ones.

I think McCourty could be a shutdown CB, he has all the skills and competitiveness to be one. I don't like to label him a playmaker bc then he gets thrown in the same category as Asante Samuels, who is more a defensive risk than defensive asset. He may never be a Revis, but he will be a shutdown corner. Remember, the dude is a sophmore starting in his first game of the season against one of the best WRs in the league. Not only that, but he is also a new captain. Alot of responsibility to put on someone who just finished their first professional year.

Regarding Spikes, I think it's important to remember how out of context twitter can be. Who knows if he is talking about a girlfriend of his, or another relationship. It could also mean that he is upset that he wasn't on the field. (not to mention the tweets were from Sunday, not Monday....HUUUUUUGE DIFFERENCE!!) My point is simple, he was outstanding his first year, is apparently a locker-room leader, and isn't having problems with anyone, per Reiss. I'm going to chalk your assessment up to not liking him prior to this season.

I've got my doubts about Guyton. We all know he can't get off blocks, though he's an elite athlete.

I'm just not sure he's a football player. For instance, he had a chance to make contact with the Miami QB when that big ahole ran it in. Chung and Mayo, true football players, both dove to make contact.

Guyton played touch football.

I want more #52 back there and Spikes when he returns.

1. His tweet had nothing to do with Sept 11. It had to do with his own emotions of feeling lost and confused.

2. Spikes traveled with the team to Miami, but Did Not Play the entire game yesterday.

3. Regardless of what exactly his tweets mean, the fact is they display a lot of mental and emotionally immaturity. Spikes is a grown man in his 20's who has finished College, and he's making tweets that you would expect from a 15 year old girl on her period.

Mayo looked inconsistent. He's a Top 3 true LB in some games, and then invisible in some games like yesterday. Missed a big goal line tackle on Henne on that first drive. He was in position to tackle Henne, but hesitated and froze up for a split second that was enough for Henne to get in and score. I want to chalk this up to lack of contact practices, but either way he's gotta make those stops in the redzone.

Sorry, but you are absolutely wrong on this. I know we discussed it in another thread but I just went back and checked the play. Mayo was covering number 82 in the slot. The receiver went into the endzone and by the time Mayo looked back Henne was already at the 5 with a full-head of steam and Mayo had to completely stop and change direction to even get in on the play. It was probably more athletic and instinctive than 95% of LB'ers could have hoped to make.

You make it sound like he was sitting there in the middle and didn't do anything. He was in coverage with his back turned and was still able to react and at least attempt a play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIOnZ1XtVfY

Watch that and tell me I'm wrong.

Last edited:
I am a big fan of Chung...really like him

Regarding Spikes, I think it's important to remember how out of context twitter can be. Who knows if he is talking about a girlfriend of his, or another relationship. It could also mean that he is upset that he wasn't on the field. (not to mention the tweets were from Sunday, not Monday....HUUUUUUGE DIFFERENCE!!) My point is simple, he was outstanding his first year, is apparently a locker-room leader, and isn't having problems with anyone, per Reiss. I'm going to chalk your assessment up to not liking him prior to this season.

I've been a big Spikes fan since he was in College. I wanted us to draft him when he was considered a 1st rd talent.

Even if his tweets are about a girlfriend or relationship..... the NFL season just started. His head doesnt seem to be in the right place.

BB is not a babysitter. and no, Spikes was not "outstanding" last year. Only decent.

I hear you, but to be fair it does seem as though he might not presently be the best teammate. Just a hunch. Doesn't mean he can't grow up.

I think it's impossible to read too much into his tweets, by the way--it's like they're written in Martian.

There is a lot speculations about Spikes, but nothing solid. Who knows what type of teammate he really is.

Until the guy is continually deactivated or falls down the depth chart for a significant time, that is all it is - speculation.

Sorry, but you are absolutely wrong on this. I know we discussed it in another thread but I just went back and checked the play. Mayo was covering number 82 in the slot. The receiver went into the endzone and by the time Mayo looked back Henne was already at the 5 with a full-head of steam and Mayo had to completely stop and change direction to even get in on the play. It was probably more athletic and instinctive than 95% of LB'ers could have hoped to make.

You make it sound like he was sitting there in the middle and didn't do anything. He was in coverage with his back turned and was still able to react and at least attempt a play.

Chad Henne rushing touchdown against patriots - YouTube

Watch that and tell me I'm wrong.

No, I'm absolutely correct. Mayo is #51 incase you didn't know.

Why dont you take a screen shot of when Mayo first noticed Henne was running? Henne was 10 yards away from the endzone and Mayo FROZE.

I almost wanted to say Mayo would surpass Ray Lewis this year, but there's no way in hell Lewis wouldve let that TD happen if he were in Mayos shoes.

I thought Solder far exceeded my expectations from him. He grown a lot in the last five weeks. Quick first step and set up. His hands and elbows are tucked and his knee bend was ever present.

I like BB using Fletcher as the FB in goal line siituations. For a second year guy to be learning a new position, MLB in a 4-3, and learning all the calls in the Pats complex passing game, he must be impressing the heck out of BB and the coaches.

Branch was awesome last night. After watching the preseason I thought he was cooked, boy did he prove me worng.

Is it time to play Price and sit Ochosucko?

Why dont you take a screen shot of when Mayo first noticed Henne was running? Henne was 10 yards away from the endzone and Mayo FROZE.

I almost wanted to say Mayo would surpass Ray Lewis this year, but there's no way in hell Lewis wouldve let that TD happen if he were in Mayos shoes.

I took screen shots to support what I said.

mayos.jpg

Henne is a good 7-8 yards away. Mayo is within the same hash marks as Henne who is running straight the entire time. Why was Henne able to run 7-8 yards before Mayo was able to run a few steps to cut him off?

The answer is simple. Mayo froze and took a wrong step to his right, when he shouldve went at him head on. Mayo took the wrong angle. There's no excuse for letting a slow QB run 7-8 yards past you in the redzone when you would only need to take a few steps to meet him head on.

Keep in mind he is a QB, not a RB or WR and probably runs a 4.9 40 on a good day. He also isn't going to be juking anyone out, which is what Mayo seemed to be afraid of.

Oh, Mayo also got stiff armed pretty bad by Brandon Marshall last night too.

Be a Homer all you want and make excuses. I like Mayo as much as anyone else does, but he had a bad game last night.

Last edited:
1. His tweet had nothing to do with Sept 11. It had to do with his own emotions of feeling lost and confused.

2. Spikes traveled with the team to Miami, but Did Not Play the entire game yesterday.

3. Regardless of what exactly his tweets mean, the fact is they display a lot of mental and emotionally immaturity. Spikes is a grown man in his 20's who has finished College, and he's making tweets that you would expect from a 15 year old girl on her period.

As for #1, how do you know? Are you a mindreader?

As for #2, Spikes has been having physical problems all pre-season. It's pretty clear he was taken to Miami just in case he was really needed.

As for #3, you sound like you've never had any fun in your life and look down your nose at those who do. He wasn't writing an essay on Spinoza. He was bantering. Unless you have a PhD in emotional development, I'm going to take your analysis with a large container of salt and I urge my other Patsfans colleagues to do the same.

As for #1, how do you know? Are you a mindreader?

As for #2, Spikes has been having physical problems all pre-season. It's pretty clear he was taken to Miami just in case he was really needed.

As for #3, you sound like you've never had any fun in your life and look down your nose at those who do. He wasn't writing an essay on Spinoza. He was bantering. Unless you have a PhD in emotional development, I'm going to take your analysis with a large container of salt and I urge my other Patsfans colleagues to do the same.

I'm sure you were also one of those guys who made excuses and stood up for Maroney, Meriweather, and Butler all those years.

No matter which way you cut it, there are 2 facts right now.

1. Spikes isnt playing

2. Spikes is extremely immature for his age.

You are clueless. Mayo was in man coverage on the slot receiver #82. That was his guy. He can't stop covering him and just let him run into the endzone. The play is designed to run Mayo out of the play. 82 cuts inside Mayo, which is right around when Mayo is figuring out it's a run. It's too late at that point.

You can say he 'froze' all you want, but unless you expect him to be able to go from man coverage to diagnosing a draw and then getting there despite being shielded by the receiver then maybe you're asking a bit too much.

Lewis would have had just as zero shot as Mayo after the line didn't even slow Henne down. I think you are greatly underestimating the fact that Mayo was in man coverage and not zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes