PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 1 is over - Which team looks overated - Which team looks underated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Which team after week ones play do you pick as most Overated and Underated from what was said about them during the offseason?

For overated I would say there are 3 teams in the running...The Jets,The Chargers and the Cowboys

If I had to choose one from thier play this week it would have to be the Cowboys as the most overated after losing to the 2009 doormat team of thier division and thier so called explosive offense did nothing to think they will be the first team to play in the SB in thier home stadium,its early but the Cowboys look like the most overated in the early going.

The Chargers lost but they always have had problems winning in KC
The Jets defense came as expected and only gave up 10 points and Sanchez has impressed no one all preseason so they didn't win my pick

For underated I would have to choose between the Patriots,Lions and Texans...and my pick is the Texans who finally stood up to thier bully the Colts,a team that has beaten them something to the numbers of 14 of the last 16 games played between them but this time they pressured Peyton into forcing the ball,kept running the ball down the Colts throats despite Sanders missing action and has made it known that the South is probably no longer going to be known as the Colts and thier b!tches division.

The Patriots had big question marks on defense but thier offense played as explosive as we expected so they lost out as my pick by just a tad
The Lions front 4 looks awesome and Suh is a stud but they also missed as my pick because they pulled a loss out of a win,they dominated that game and got beat simply because Calvin could not hold onto a terrific pass.

Last edited:
I don't think the Patriots are underated...I think they're overhated

I don't think the Patriots are underated...I think they're overhated

I think it may be a little of both in that regards

The Patriots are looked at being about 7th best in the conference and I think their play on sunday turned a few heads...albeit,its very early in the season.

i'd have to say the panthers. I have read some reports about them being a top tier team and i just don't see it on the offensive side of the ball. They don't have a QB and their only receiving threat is Steve Smith.

The titans as under rated. They won 8 in a row last year to Finnish didn't they? Vince young seems to be playing better... that could be a very dangerous team.

My other 2 honorable would be the seahawks and the 49ers as under and over rated... purely because of the game on the weekend and the high/low expectations for both ball clubs

Overrated: Cincy, Atlanta, Green Bay, Dallas, Chargers, Jest, 49ers
Underrated: Houston, Pittsburgh, Tennessee, Lions, Foreskins

This is all based on Week 1. It's going to take a couple of more weeks before we know anything for certain about the 2010 version of the NFL, though.

Last edited:
i'd have to say the panthers. I have read some reports about them being a top tier team and i just don't see it on the offensive side of the ball. They don't have a QB and their only receiving threat is Steve Smith.

The titans as under rated. They won 8 in a row last year to Finnish didn't they? Vince young seems to be playing better... that could be a very dangerous team.

My other 2 honorable would be the seahawks and the 49ers as under and over rated... purely because of the game on the weekend and the high/low expectations for both ball clubs

The 49ers are expected by many to be a top team in the NFC conference but got beat down by a team who has a cheerleader instead of a head coach and next week they get the test of a lifetime when N.O. comes to town..its do it or shut up time for Alex Smith and Frank Gore

Overrated: Cowboys, Bengals, Vikings, 49ers, Jets, Ravens
Underrated: Pats, Chiefs, Seahawks, Titans, Steelers, Texans

Taking it easy on the Colts and Chargers because I think they just happened to play teams that were better than people realized.

Last edited:

they look more swedish than finnish, don't ya think?

In the Chargers defense, they always come out of the gate slow.

The AFC which is my only real concern. I think the ludicrously-overrated Team was the Jesters,as do we all and now have had the proof.

I have felt that the Colts were falling for about two years; maybe they finally are. Or maybe the stiffs in their division are getting their acts together. In any case the days of six automatic wins in their division, to pad their record, for the Colts are probably gone. I know they don't travel well.

Norm Turner has been wearing down the Chargers since he got there, but there is no one in their division to give chase. They could easily go 3-3 in the division however.

I frankly expected more from the Ravens. But the coaching was just pigheaded against the Jets. And Falcco reminds me of Bledsoe, more and more.

Even though we humiliated the Bengals I now still think they will repeat in the AFCN. They look like th most complete club in the Division. Pitt has line problems and the Ravens have secondary problems.

I wasn't willing to put the Pats in the elite three, before the season began; but I suspect they may be #1 in the AFC, by the end of the regular season. Not because the Pats are as strong as their other former and legitimate SB contenders. It is just that the current others, all seem to have major flaws, worse than the Pats.

Last edited:
I think that too many are give KC too many kudos after tonight's win. There is no doubt they are imporved, but it wouldn't require much for them to be better than they have been.

I think their weakest link is at the most important position, quarterback. I have said for several years that he is just not a bona fide NFL quarterback, and I think tonight's game proved it even more.

Sure, he will complete a nice pass every now and then, but it is very obvious from watching that game, and listening to the announcers, the KC coaching staff does not want him throwing the ball too often.... IMO, they too see his weaknesses. And, frankly, I will be surprised if he is still the starter halfway into the season.

Nice kid, was in the right place at the right time (New England) to get a big payday....other than that, backup quarterback, at best.

Even with this loss tonight, the Jets still have a very formidable defense, and agressive. The Pats will have to game plan very soundly for them. I dont consider them over rated yet.... we will see after the next game.

The team that is over rated the most, the Colts. I picked Houston to win that division and to play the Pats in the AFC title game.
I can see the Colts dropping totally out of post season play.

I don't think so. I think Matt Cassell is a competent, sound, intelligent winner with perfect triangle numbers. With a good team around him, and a compliment of good receivers, he showed what he could do. He doesn't have that with KC now, although they are rebuilding competently. I say let us wait for a year or three, before deciding.

Last edited:
I think that too many are give KC too many kudos after tonight's win. There is no doubt they are imporved, but it wouldn't require much for them to be better than they have been.

I think their weakest link is at the most important position, quarterback. I have said for several years that he is just not a bona fide NFL quarterback, and I think tonight's game proved it even more.

Sure, he will complete a nice pass every now and then, but it is very obvious from watching that game, and listening to the announcers, the KC coaching staff does not want him throwing the ball too often.... IMO, they too see his weaknesses. And, frankly, I will be surprised if he is still the starter halfway into the season.

Nice kid, was in the right place at the right time (New England) to get a big payday....other than that, backup quarterback, at best.

Even with this loss tonight, the Jets still have a very formidable defense, and agressive. The Pats will have to game plan very soundly for them. I dont consider them over rated yet.... we will see after the next game.

The team that is over rated the most, the Colts. I picked Houston to win that division and to play the Pats in the AFC title game.
I can see the Colts dropping totally out of post season play.

The Chiefs' weak link is their entire offensive line. No QB would look good behind that mess. Their starting RT was cut by the Pats years ago, so people who thought LeVoir and Kaczur were bad... yeah, just think about that.

Overrated: Jets ravens coyboys packers 49ers
Underrated: steelers texans Giants titans seahawks

Cowboys and 49ers are my overrated choice! I didn't realise until yesterday, that the Cowboys first team only score 1 TD in the preseason! That isn't good.

And for the 49ers, I admit I thought they would be good, but seems they can't! They went 1-15 on 3rd down, that is VERY poor!

My underrated teams are Lions and Seahawks.

Lions should have won that game, if it wasn't for a silly mistake! And the D looks good! Suh seemed impressive!

I don't think anyone expected Seahawks to go out and win and score 31 points, and dominate a team many had seen as a playoff contender!

After last night's games, I checked out ESPN's predictions to see how bad they got it. Indy, Dallas, SF, and SD were the only misses. So, either these teams are overrated or Houston, DC, Seattle, and KC are underrated -- or there were some 'any given Sunday' demonstrations.

Too soon to look any harder than this.

Overrated: Oakland, San Diego, Carolina, Miami, NY Jets

Underrated: Kansas City, New England, Tennessee, Pittsburgh, NY Giants

I had the seahawks as a bottom 5 team this year. To come out the way they did makes them my most underrated team.

Based on the very small sample size of one week of NFL games, I'd go with the 49ers as the most overrated and Titans as most underrated. Most of the media was handing the NFCW to SF in the preseason, while it was a rarity for Tennessee to get a prediction to make the playoffs. Colts, Jets and Cowboys get dishonorable mention in the overrated category.

However with this being just one game it's way too early to jump to conclusions. Seven years ago there was a team that lost 31-0 in week one, but their season ended up being pretty good.

Saying it over and over again does not make it true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes