Week 1 Defensive Snap Counts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taking a look at the 3 safeties opposite of DMcC:

When said player was on the field, this was MIA's completion/attempt rate--

1.Chung--10 passes completed on 12 attempts for 94 yds + 1 touchdown

2.Wilson--7 passes completed on 15 attempts for 69 yds + 1 INT

3.Harmon--1 pass completed on 4 attempts for 17 yds

It appears as though all of our concerns with Chung rang true, as expected.

Patriots' Struggles With Rob Gronkowski Among Week 1 Loss Observations | NESN.com

PATRIOTS ALLOWED YPC PER DL PLAYER ON THE FIELD:

1.Vellano--16 carries for 111 yds (6.9 YPC)

2.Siligia--22 carries for 102 yds (4.6 YPC)

3.Easley--12 carries for 53 yds (4.4 YPC)

4.Wilfork--22 carries for 137 yds (6.2 YPC)

Considering that Easley was playing out of position and is better suited to a DT (3 tech), this may bode well for the rookie moving forward.

Patriots' Struggles With Rob Gronkowski Among Week 1 Loss Observations | NESN.com

PATRIOTS ALLOWED YPC PER DL PLAYER ON THE FIELD:

1.Vellano--16 carries for 111 yds (6.9 YPC)

2.Siligia--22 carries for 102 yds (4.6 YPC)

3.Easley--12 carries for 53 yds (4.4 YPC)

4.Wilfork--22 carries for 137 yds (6.2 YPC)

Considering that Easley was playing out of position and is better suited to a DT (3 tech), this may bode well for the rookie moving forward.

http://nesn.com/2014/09/patriots-struggles-with-rob-gronkowski-among-observations-from-week-1-loss/

Interesting stats. Easley was playing 3-tech yesterday as a DE/DT. He was only a DE on plays that Ninkovich or Hightower weren't also on that side of the line.

Interesting stats. Easley was playing 3-tech yesterday as a DE/DT. He was only a DE on plays that Ninkovich or Hightower weren't also on that side of the line.

Not according to the article who claims that he was at 5 tech the majority of his snaps, although they are hardly perfect either.

"Easley was forced to play out of position at five-technique defensive end in the Patriots’ three-man front. He played better at defensive tackle in college at Florida."

Taking a look at the 3 safeties opposite of DMcC:

When said player was on the field, this was MIA's completion/attempt rate--

1.Chung--10 passes completed on 12 attempts for 94 yds + 1 touchdown

2.Wilson--7 passes completed on 15 attempts for 69 yds + 1 INT

3.Harmon--1 pass completed on 4 attempts for 17 yds

It appears as though all of our concerns with Chung rang true, as expected.

http://nesn.com/2014/09/patriots-struggles-with-rob-gronkowski-among-observations-from-week-1-loss/
I don't like to defend Chung because we know he is a liability on coverage based on how he performed in his first stint in New England and his failure with the Eagles. But those numbers are quite misleading because Tannehill only threw 178 yards and of those 178 yards 143 were accounted for by receivers (mainly Mike Wallace who caught a lot of balls against the sh!tty zone defense).Their tight ends had two receptions for 16 yards and no TDs and I don't know if Chung was responsible for allowing any of those receptions. The defense didn't perform well but the secondary wasn't bad and the safeties IMO were decent. I remember there was a play in which Chung tackled the RB near the goal line for a loss or no gain, which clearly showcased his strength in situations like that and his value in run stoppage. Look, I dislike the fact that we don't have an all-around safety for that position but those numbers are quite misleading.

I don't know if football fans here know anything about plus/minus for basketball players, but that's another overrated advanced stat used. I think the numbers quoted by Doug Kyed didn't tell us anything about the performance of the safeties at all. Sports analysts tend to use these so called "advanced stats" to espouse their narratives about their favorite players and players they dislike.

I don't like to defend Chung because we know he is a liability on coverage based on how he performed in his first stint in New England and his failure with the Eagles. But those numbers are quite misleading because Tannehill only threw 178 yards and of those 178 yards 143 were accounted for by receivers (mainly Mike Wallace who caught a lot of balls against the sh!tty zone defense).Their tight ends had two receptions for 16 yards and no TDs and I don't know if Chung was responsible for allowing any of those receptions. The defense didn't perform well but the secondary wasn't bad and the safeties IMO were decent. I remember there was a play in which Chung tackled the RB near the goal line for a loss or no gain, which clearly showcased his strength in situations like that and his value in run stoppage. Look, I dislike the fact that we don't have an all-around safety for that position but those numbers are quite misleading.

I don't know if football fans here know anything about plus/minus for basketball players, but that's another overrated advanced stat used. I think the numbers quoted by Doug Kyed didn't tell us anything about the performance of the safeties at all. Sports analysts tend to use these so called "advanced stats" to espouse their narratives about their favorite players and players they dislike.

Probably a very fair point, Saint Pat.

Defensive Snaps:

Zach Moore - 0
Don Jones - 0
Chris White - 0

Deactivate Moore, Activate Fleming.

I'm guessing that will be the plan once they aren't in the heat and humidity of South Beach, Miami.

It was probably a better choice (or at least Belichick thought) to have a 6th DL active, due to being able to rotate them in/out of the heat. We would've needed Moore had someone been injured.

We will probably be seeing Fleming active on Sunday at Minnesota, although that will depend on other factors of course. White may be the choice once again, just as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back