PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WEEI's Kirk Minihane and Drew Bledsoe Podcast Full Transcript

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought this was one of the best interviews we've seen from Drew since he retired, and it had a lot of great quotes that left me a little surprised that it didn't get more play and that's what lead me to transcribe this. It's really well done for those of you who liked Drew as a player and there were some great moments in this.

I'll always admire Drew for how he handled it all. He was very honest but not to the point he badmouthed anyone. He talked about being angry and even mentioned how his wife got to hear a bunch of stuff he wouldn't say in public. It was a hard spot to be in and he managed to come across as honest and still gracious as well.

There was a time I couldn't imagine what it would be like watching the Pats without Bledsoe. Drew is one of my favorite players to put on the uniform. It is interesting to hear about his relationship with Belichick, Parcells, and Brady. Great interview.

One thing that Drew was never, ever given credit for was his toughness. He took some wicked hits and bounced back; it was sort of amazing. And he was a big tall giraffe out there, highly exposed, and took some awful shots.

One thing that Drew was never, ever given credit for was his toughness. He took some wicked hits and bounced back; it was sort of amazing. And he was a big tall giraffe out there, highly exposed, and took some awful shots.

Drew was a graet QB. He played up to his ability and played under a real SOB of a coach (Parcells) (Parcells was an ahole to Phil Simms also) but never complained. Drew's only fault was that he has the misfortune to play on same team as the GOAT QB.

Pats vs Giants 1996 is one of my favorite Patriots memories. Sitting at the bar in TGIF's with my brother drinking a beer and watching some Bledsoe/Coates/Meggett magic coming back in the 4th qtr.

Thanks for taking the time to transcribe this Ian.

Side Note: I sometimes wonder how many rings Bledsoe would have if that whole Parcells/Kraft "shopping for groceries" crap had been handled differently.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
The farther away the past becomes, the more fondly people remember Drew.

For a few years he injected life in this franchise and deserves a ton of credit but lets stop short of saying he was great and a hard worker, huh?

The farther away the past becomes, the more fondly people remember Drew.

For a few years he injected life in this franchise and deserves a ton of credit but lets stop short of saying he was great and a hard worker, huh?

Bledsoe was damn good but it wasn't long after Brady took over that I felt like Bledsoe had lost his job. Brady just seemed to play calm under pressure and didn't throw the inopportune pick.

Drew was a graet QB. He played up to his ability and played under a real SOB of a coach (Parcells) (Parcells was an ahole to Phil Simms also) but never complained. Drew's only fault was that he has the misfortune to play on same team as the GOAT QB.

He also came into the league at just the wrong time for his style of QBing. He was an immobile, downfield looking QB as the game was transitioning into more of a short route, quick read, game. He was, basically, Brett Favre with an even stronger arm, but without the wheels, and with a slower release. Had he been in the '83 draft rather than the '93 draft, he'd have probably ended up going down as an all-timer.

I can't ever see Drew as an all timer in any era. Too many forced passes and bad decisions. Plus he was so immobile a pigeon would take a crap on him.

He had a medium level of success in the league for a long time. He brought back the fans after the darkest years in Pats history. And he made a big contribution to attaining the first SB win (AFCCG), plus appeared in another SB. That's a pretty decent legacy.

I can't ever see Drew as an all timer in any era. Too many forced passes and bad decisions. Plus he was so immobile a pigeon would take a crap on him.

???

8th in career passes and attempts
10th in career yards passing
13th in career game winning drives
15th in career comebacks
11th in career total offense
48th in career INT % (same as Elway and Warner, better than Favre)
20th in career passing TDs

And that's with a lousy offense surrounding him in his early years, a significant rebuild after getting to the SB, and his exile to Buffalo/Dallas at the end.

Last edited:
Bledsoe was damn good but it wasn't long after Brady took over that I felt like Bledsoe had lost his job.

BB said flat out that TB12 outplayed Drew in camp in 01 and only reason he didn't take the #1 spot was his inexperience. It wasn't a question if TB12 would be the starter is was a question of when. If Mo Lewis doesn't take out Drew and the Pats are 1-4 TB12 is taking over.

Brady just seemed to play calm under pressure and didn't throw the inopportune pick.

Drew was a very good QB. You don't play 14 years, throw for 44k yards and 250 touchdowns without being very good.

However, Drew had a chicken and the egg issue here. I don't believe he was lazy but he was accused of coasting a little here. Did he lack some self-control at times with his throws? Yes. Was he average at reading defenses? Yes. No question he tried to do too much at times and made some incredibly poor decisions. On the other hand he was their best player. Near the end of his time here he had a declining supporting cast and not much to work with so he tried to make things happen. He was paid to do so. When Drew had solid talent around him they won games. When the talent was mediocre or sucky, they didn't. The coaching, the line, the inconsistency at RB and WR. Terry Allen? Zefross Moss? Pom-Pom Pete? Sherri Glenn the headache? Ernie Chimpaneze?Ugh...

Last edited:
The stuff on concussions is pretty interesting. First, he said he averaged about one serious concussion per year.

Second, he went back into the game after the Mo Lewis injury, but got pulled because a couple of guys -- he named Marc Edwards and Damon Huard -- noticed he was concussed and ratted him out (his words). Given his other injury, is it reasonable to suggest that they saved his life by doing so, or at least that his life was saved by the fact that he ALSO got a concussion?

Not sure how Bledsoe feels about it but I was glad he was able to go in for an injured Brady and finish the win against the Steelers during that road to the eventual SB victory. He can wear that SB ring proudly as he handled the entire Brady/Bledsoe issue with class, helped Brady during games throughout the season and came in and finished the win against the Steelers.

Not sure how Bledsoe feels about it but I was glad he was able to go in for an injured Brady and finish the win against the Steelers during that road to the eventual SB victory. He can wear that SB ring proudly as he handled the entire Brady/Bledsoe issue with class, helped Brady during games throughout the season and came in and finished the win against the Steelers.
The preference was for TB12 to stay in but he did fine.

I always liked that game, Bledsoe gets really underrated because of how good Brady is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down