PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WEEI this am re Felger

Status
Not open for further replies.
PatsSteve1 said:
kptmorgan04 said:
everyone here and on the talk shows needs to lighten up! Could you see the faces on the pats players, fluties, and the coaches after the kick??? IT WAS FUN! that is what the game is about!

* No. The game is about winning and that drop kick didn't do anything to help that. Adam kicking the extra point would have been with better odds of him making it.
If THIS game was about winning, why was the thrid string QB playing almost the entire game as well as the rest of the 2nd and 3rd stringers against the dolphins first team and still almost won!
dont kid yourself and say this game was about winning because the pats clearly did not care whether they won or lost, they were getting ready for this weekend.

PatsSteve1 said:
kptmorgan04 said:
everyone here and on the talk shows needs to lighten up! Could you see the faces on the pats players, fluties, and the coaches after the kick??? IT WAS FUN! that is what the game is about!

* No. The game is about winning and that drop kick didn't do anything to help that. Adam kicking the extra point would have been with better odds of him making it.

Ummm....did you just write "The game is about winning"??????? (You're talking about the Miami game a few days ago???)

Just making sure.

Last edited:
"You play to win the game" - the Herminator.

[Ummm....did you just write "The game is about winning"??????? (You're talking about the Miami game a few days ago???)

Just making sure.[/QUOTE]

* The dropkick was little more than a publicity stunt. Just like his NFL career.

shmessy said:
PatsSteve1 said:
Ummm....did you just write "The game is about winning"??????? (You're talking about the Miami game a few days ago???)

Just making sure.

thank you for validating my point earlier.

stcjones said:
Please someone tell me....WHAT has Flutes done in the NFL that has accounted for getting this much attention/accolades????

Here are just a couple of Flutie's NFL accomplishments:

In his first season in Buffalo, breaks the team record for passing yards in a game (in the post-Kelly era!) This was not a 1-game flash; he had several great games.

Upon arriving at San Diego around age 39, he takes over the starting job on maybe the worst team in the NFL, and starts winning games. And in several other games as the season wore on, he leads them back to take the lead in the final minute or two, only to have his crappy defense let up a score in the last minute or half minute.

Plays for the scab Patriots. I know this is controversial, but I happened to like the way the owners fielded teams, and made the games count. As long as the games counted, I cared about them! A guy who went to my small Division 3 college was on the Pats for a few weeks then!

Returns a punt in the preseason game I was at, circa 1988.

The drop-kick thing wasn't about Flutie. Alamo makes a good point above. It was a way to honor that bygone era, and the men who played then, and the fans who remember it (among whom I'm not old enough to count myself).

Funny stuff! Flutie gets plenty of adulation. He gets plenty of hate too. A real two fisted celeb!

The Flutie hate aside, what part of BB is better equipped than any of you to decide what is in the best interest of his team heading into the playoffs, not to mention in the best interest of football in general, don't some of you understand? Just askin. He's a coach with 30 years actual experience in the league and a box full of championship rings and awards to prove how well he understands the game. He is also a student of football history whose father played in the league the last time a drop kick was executed. He chose Flutie as a backup because he respects and appreciates his football career accomplishments. He chose to execute the drop kick because no one else had in 65 years. And he chose to rest his starters in the absence of a bye. Perhaps he even chose to make no exerted effort to move up a seed in the playoff bracket because he actually preferred an alternate matchup.

A lot of people here and on the radio and now in the media need to get over themselves on this game altogether.

A lot of people here and on the radio and now in the media need to get over themselves on this game altogether.[/QUOTE]
Just a lot of displaced anger over their beloved Red Sox that they can't express publicly, IMO, (No, I'm not a psychiatrist, but I do play one in the shower.) :D

I didn't want to start another whole thread with Felger's name in it - he'd love the attention. But for those of you who have any doubts that given the pressures of fronting his own radio show on ESPN he would not continue morphing into just another Boston sports talk media whore, he was excitedly announcing tonight that he had a new guest coming on tomorrow whom he hopes will become a regular (as Bob Ryan, Bob Halloran and Ted Johnson are now being billed).

Ron Borges.

If he thinks that will boost his ratings, he should check with 1510 - if it still exists.

I don't think the drop kick was a big deal (no matter when it was last done) or a good thing, however it is foolish to blame Flutie for it. He may have had the skill and the desire to do it, but the final call rests with BB. If people have issues with the stupid stunt take it up with BB. The Pats notified the Officiating Office the week before to check that the rules were still the same, and so the ref on the field wouldn't faint when it happened. That means it was planned, not a spur of the moment shut-Doug-up play.

In terms of Felger, he did embarrass himself. I have noticed before that when he has a point or an idea, and others on TV (don't listen to radio) don't agree with him or take it seriously, he gets very emotional, as though it is some sort of personal insult. The longer the debate goes on without him getting what he thinks is respect (agreement) for his idea the more emotional he becomes.

I have no idea if he has a problem from college with Flutie and BC. I simply thought he was really pissed because it was obvious with Cassel being in during the 4th quarter, the stunt kick, and the final Cassel throw away, that BB had decided to tank the game, and Felger knew he couldn't accuse Saint Bill of that. So he was primed and went after the most obvious result of the lets-lose-the-game planning.

MoLewisrocks said:
I didn't want to start another whole thread with Felger's name in it - he'd love the attention. But for those of you who have any doubts that given the pressures of fronting his own radio show on ESPN he would not continue morphing into just another Boston sports talk media whore, he was excitedly announcing tonight that he had a new guest coming on tomorrow whom he hopes will become a regular (as Bob Ryan, Bob Halloran and Ted Johnson are now being billed).

Ron Borges.

If he thinks that will boost his ratings, he should check with 1510 - if it still exists.

Ugh. WTH is wrong with him?

PatsSteve1 said:
PatsWickedPissah said:
Felger is your typical BU loser.

* What up, -p? Did BU beat Tufts this year? -:) That drop kick was really little more than a publicity stunt. It's not like Adam's leg had broken and there was no other way to get the extra point. In fact I'd take Adam doing it over the midegt anyday. It wasn't needed. Had the drop kick, say, been after a fair catch on a KO with 1 second left and resulted in tying the game and sending it into OT because it was out of Adam's range nor something like that, then it would have meant something. It really was only meaningful to him and his fans.
What's disapointing about the affair is the wild cheering for a guy who's done nothing to help the Patriots win Super Bowls when there's a bunch of players on the team that have 3 rings that don't get the same cheers. It's like the fans that were listening to the Red Sox in the playoffs while at the Patriots game cheering them on while the Patriots were playing. Maybe Brady is right and they don't get respect from thier own fans.

Steve, I'm shocked, just shocked that you'd pile on in the Flutie thread.
Not that you're not obsessed as well. Nah.
You may be dissapointed with the cheering but Belichick wasn't, was he?

Last edited:
MoLewisrocks said:
Ron Borges.

I thought there was a pofanity filter in this place. How did this get through?

Last edited:
I think YOU are.....

PatsWickedPissah said:
Unbelieveably obsessed

You are unbelievably obsessed.....in thinking that I am Unbelievably obsessed about Flutie.......so there.....what do you think of them apples? LOL :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back