PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WEEI/Reiss: Pats expected to release Colvin [mergedx6]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rosie cut by pats

According to Reiss he counts for 7.6 million and a 5.5 mil base salary.

I had thought we'd trade down and take a corner... but now... hello to Groves or Gholston?

Colvin is coming to the colts atleast that is the rumor around Indy and has been since right after the superbowl. He even built a new house here maybe the pats are trying to free up enough money to re-sign moss.

i hope this off-season isnt like the 2006 one.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Pats expected to release Colvin
Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff
February 26, 2008 02:19 PM

In a move that appears to be salary-cap related, the Patriots are expected to release outside linebacker Rosevelt Colvin today, according to a league source.

Colvin, a marquee free-agent signing in 2002, was scheduled to count $7.6 million against the salary cap and earn a base salary of $5.5 million. The 2008 season was the final year of his contract.

Colvin was a starter at outside linebacker in the Patriots’ 3-4 scheme. His 2007 season was cut short by a foot injury sustained Nov. 25 against the Eagles, and the Patriots seemed to miss his pass rush coming down the stretch.

The 31-year-old Colvin was credited by the team’s coaches with 28 tackles last season, while adding four sacks.

With Tedy Bruschi and Junior Seau scheduled for unrestricted free agency, the Patriots have the following personnel under contract at linebacker for 2008:

Eric Alexander (2008, exclusive rights free agent)
Larry Izzo (2008, verbal agreement confirmed by agent Drew Rosenhaus)
T.J. Slaughter (2008)
Pierre Woods (2008, exclusive rights free agent)
Mike Vrabel (2009)
Oscar Lua (2010)
Adalius Thomas (2011)

Not surprisingly, IndyStar has a thread up about this that's getting significantly more traffic in the short time that it's been up than anything related to any Colts players.

Rosey was one of my favorite Patriots. I'd like it if we could bring him back at a reduced rate.

Re: WEEI - Pat's just CUT ROSIE

I actually think this maximizes Rosie's chance to hit the FA market when it at paek demand.
I know it seems cold, but the timing will help RC catch on elsewhere for big dollars.

I expect the JETS will be players for his services

This morning on WEEI Colvin acknowledged that contracts like his are meant to be broken in their balloon years. He definitely knew that this was coming.

I know I am in the extreme minority but I dont think Colvin has been great and the cap space savings seems well worth the cut.

Rosie is a native of Indianapolis but I just can't see him a Colts. I can, however, see him as a Jet.

At least we have the corpse of Tedy Bruschi pretending he can still play. If they don't bring him back, it's a downright stupid move. There is no one out there to replace him.

anybody want to guess if they'll use the money to sign lance briggs? He's an UFA?

According to Reiss he counts for 7.6 million and a 5.5 mil base salary.

I had thought we'd trade down and take a corner... but now... hello to Groves or Gholston?

Looks like it.

I'm def sad to see Colvin go...Reiss didn't mention any chance of re-signing him back to a contract. I'll consider it a possibility until Colvin signs elsewhere.

He was our most disruptive pass rusher last season and Vrabel completely disappeared with him out of the lineup. I have no doubt in my mind we would've been 19-0 had Colvin remained healthy.

Last edited:
Re: WEEI - Pat's just CUT ROSIE

It seemed to me that Rosie knew he was being cut. I remember one quote in particular. He was asked about his contract. He said that most players in the NFL know that when your contract balloons in its last year, you're either going to be cut or restructured.

His quote made me think that he absolutely knew the writing was on the wall.

I honestly don't know what to make of it. The signing bonus cap hit was sunk costs anyways, so maybe he'll be back, maybe he won't. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. :bricks:

anybody want to guess if they'll use the money to sign lance briggs? He's an UFA?

Nope- he doesn't want to play in a 3-4

Looks like it.

I'm def sad to see Colvin go...Reiss didn't mention any chance of re-signing him back to a contract. I'll consider it a possibility under Colvin signs as well.

He was our most disruptive pass rusher last season and Vrabel completely disappeared with him out of the lineup. I have no doubt in my mind we would've been 19-0 had Colvin remained healthy.

I second that, he was a large part of our defense last year and we just lost some fire when he wasn't there. The lack of a good pass rush hurt us against the Giants.

At least it's an exciting offseason.

This was expected. No way they were keeping him at current price coming off a foot injury. Also, think this is a clear sign they are opening up cap space to re-sign Moss.

Hopefully the door is left open and they try to negotiate something with him. Colvin was one of the few big game players on the D who always seemed to come up with a big play when it was needed. Not to mention he was one of the few guys who played with open emotion.

Will miss him if he doesn't come back, but it's not the end of the world.

(As long as they find a replacement, of course. :))

At least we have the corpse of Tedy Bruschi pretending he can still play. If they don't bring him back, it's a downright stupid move. There is no one out there to replace him.

Vrabel, Thomas and Woods can't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back