PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WEEI: Patriots Monday...and Friday [UPDATE: Felger out at 890 and Herald]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smerlas - Awful, terrible, very hard to listen to or take with any level of credibility.

I have to defend Freddy here. If you have ever heard Fred talk football you would never say that he is terrible. Fred gets a little carried away with himself every once in a while, but for pure football insight he is one of the best in the business. The format of The Big Show doesn't do him any favors, it is so informal that he allows himself to run at the mouth much of the time, but when it comes down to X's and O's he explains it to an audience as well as anybody I have ever heard.

As sports talk junkie this is right in my wheel house.

I listen to all the stations all the time. It is bad and it is sad... but enought about me.

My quick review of the on air talents.

Felger - I don't mind him, even when he is trying to be "Mr. Go Against the Grain" at least he is talking football. Personally I like people to challenge or at least discuss the patriots from different angles and perspectives, the constant rah-rah of "BB knows all, never makes a mistake" is too one sided for me.

Zolak - Typical goofy ex-player but he does provide some insight and hsitorical context. Typical question "Hey Zoe, remember that time you were clubbed in the head by a 300 pound lineman?". He is also not afraid to call it as he sees it.

D&C - Very poor as sports talk show hosts, constantly contrived and simple minded opinions. Lots of political BS, but at the same time they did a great job of interviewing Tom Brady for the past two seasons.

Smerlas - Awful, terrible, very hard to listen to or take with any level of credibility.

DeOssie - Pretty good when he doesn't jump into amateur lawyer mode and try to "outwit" a caller. It is like a bad SNL skit.

Gresch - He has a national show that runs on ESPN, he talks football and is not afraid to take shots at himself or anyone else. Knows the game, one of my favorites.

Smerlas is horrible when he goes into his Pete and the PomPom character with his mink and playing the baffoon, but when he is actually talking football in particular Xs and Os, he is pretty good. Unfortunately, WEEI apparently doesn't think that their listeners can handle real football talk or Ordway and Sheppard are too dumb to delve into it because they keep that kind of talk to a minimum.

I hate Andy Gresch. The weird thing is that I don't know if I can explain why other than he just rubs me the wrong way. It is more to it, but I really cannot put my finger on it to explain it properly.

I like Felger prior to his Borges Jr. character and I really didn't mind him when he did slip into it because the guy does know football compared to a lot of the guys on WEEI. He could talk to Tom Casale and Andy Hart about players beyond the whole "He's great/He sucks" argument that gets played far too much on WEEI. I guess that I never bought his Borges Jr. act as being his true feelings and saw it as a character for the show.

DeOsie is probably the best because he doesn't really have any schtick and is knowledgeable.

I have to defend Freddy here. If you have ever heard Fred talk football you would never say that he is terrible. Fred gets a little carried away with himself every once in a while, but for pure football insight he is one of the best in the business. The format of The Big Show doesn't do him any favors, it is so informal that he allows himself to run at the mouth much of the time, but when it comes down to X's and O's he explains it to an audience as well as anybody I have ever heard.

Yah, Freddie does BOTH the comic buffoon and the X and Os guy playing alongside DeOssie on their weekly cable TV football show. Both funny and informative. Outrageous opinions come naturally to Big Fred.

Gresh is a pompous a** who pretends to know far more than he does. Cannot stand him.

Andy Gresh knows football ? I mean he should... he did play 1 year of URI football (and rode the pine).

That's the funniest thing I've read all week.

Re: WEEI: Patriots Monday...and Friday

WEEI blows.. THey are all homers and are rarely objective.. The only person worth listening to is Holley..

I couldn't agree with you more. Holley is hands down the best on that station. I loved Neumier when he was there. Too bad they don't have Holley and Neumie. The Big O show is so terrible. ******s who don't know sports, yelling over each other for 4 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots