PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WEEI.com: Quotes From Belichick & The Locker Room, 8/26

Status
Not open for further replies.
"But obviously it’s a longer discussion here. I don’t mean to get carried away on a simple question. I just love to help you guys out and give you some information. Now, you can rip me on it for answering a long answer."

Gotta love the guy!!

Wow, is there any way the Boston media can get together and throw questions like these at BB in every press conference? It seems to be a whole lot more enjoyable for everybody - the media, the fans, BB - when he gets a question he can go in depth, for several minutes on.

Rather than trying to pry out the team's game plan a day before the game, or ask a question in which in his opening statement BB says 'that's all I have to say on the subject', the Boston media should take a hint from pressers like this one. If they did, they'd have a whole lot more to write about the next day.

And isn't that really, when you get right down to it, the media's biggest gripe with BB? That he gives short answers, which makes their job of writing a column more difficult? Well here you go: ask an intelligent football question, and you'll get plenty to go on to fill tomorrow's column or airwaves with.

Wow, is there any way the Boston media can get together and throw questions like these at BB in every press conference? It seems to be a whole lot more enjoyable for everybody - the media, the fans, BB - when he gets a question he can go in depth, for several minutes on.

Rather than trying to pry out the team's game plan a day before the game, or ask a question in which in his opening statement BB says 'that's all I have to say on the subject', the Boston media should take a hint from pressers like this one. If they did, they'd have a whole lot more to write about the next day.

And isn't that really, when you get right down to it, the media's biggest gripe with BB? That he gives short answers, which makes their job of writing a column more difficult? Well here you go: ask an intelligent football question, and you'll get plenty to go on to fill tomorrow's column or airwaves with.

The goal of the media is to expose dirty laundry or simply fabricate dirty laundry when there is none. They are vultures.

BB has always given extremely long and highly detailed answers to intelligent football questions. He absolutely loves to talk about football theory.

I agree, except the American public wants drama, not well thought out opinions and debate. I mean... look at all the utter crap that's on TV (Reality TV, anyone?)

BB certainly changed my mind about having larger rosters. Excellent argument.

The goal of the media is to expose dirty laundry or simply fabricate dirty laundry when there is none. They are vultures.

Sorry you feel that way. As a proud member of the fourth estate, I fear you are painting us all with the same broad brush -- a bit of an overgeneralization. But that's another argument for another day, perhaps.

Anyway, thanks for the nice words. We post the full transcript from BB's press conference every day over at WEEI.com. Based on the feedback here, I will make sure the board knows about it as soon as it becomes available.

Sorry you feel that way. As a proud member of the fourth estate, I fear you are painting us all with the same broad brush -- a bit of an overgeneralization. But that's another argument for another day, perhaps.

Anyway, thanks for the nice words. We post the full transcript from BB's press conference every day over at WEEI.com. Based on the feedback here, I will make sure the board knows about it as soon as it becomes available.
idea.gif
Now there's a fundraiser concept, paint Christopher Price in Patriot colors for a worthy charity or Ian's server expenses. I could see digging into my emergency funds for such an event. There could be live brush stroke-by-brush stroke coverage on WEEI for the local listeners, maybe get BB and Bob Kraft to come by with their paint rollers...it would be much kinder than the tar, feathers, and rail ride normally reserved for the fourth estate around here.

idea.gif
Now there's a fundraiser concept, paint Christopher Price in Patriot colors for a worthy charity or Ian's server expenses. I could see digging into my emergency funds for such an event. There could be live brush stroke-by-brush stroke coverage on WEEI for the local listeners, maybe get BB and Bob Kraft to come by with their paint rollers...it would be much kinder than the tar, feathers, and rail ride normally reserved for the fourth estate around here.

I'd have to change my byline to Sherwin Williams...

I wouldn't say that the goal of the media is to air dirty laundry. However, they are a business and as such their corporate goal is not necessarily to be the purveyor of truth, but to make a profit for their investors and shareholders - just like any other business.

Unfortuntely what gets the most attention are tsk-tsk tabloid gossip stories, and as a result that's wht generates the most readers, viewers and listeners - and in turn generates the most ad revenue. So as a result many in the media have taken this route to increase their ratings, and salaries.

However I do believe their is plenty of room for other approaches. When I was a kid there were three TV channels (four if you counted channel 2; six if you counted the two Providence channels that showed the same program that was already on channels 4 and 5.)

Then came along this technological breakthrough called UHF, and with a box on top of your TV and a second set of rabbit ears you could get two more channels - which meant you could see almost all the Bruins and Celtics games!

And TV (and the media) has never been the same since.

Essentially that was the start of splintering into specialized programming, which spawned espn and original cable broadcasts, and now results in hundreds of different television networks. With all this fractionalized programming and niche markets, I do believe there is plenty of room for "real" sports reporting and analysis - that is, what Chris (or Reiss, Gasper, smy, etc.) can offer, what Belichick talked about in his press conference - even if it never approaches the large audience that espn caters to: the marginal fan more interested in gossip, innuendo, and who's dating whom.

As the industry evolves I believe there will be avenues for both markets, and both can be quite profitable. While we will be bombarded with shouting from espn and foxsports, genuine sports news sites will find their niche just like food shows, home shopping shows, and 24 hour sports networks have done on television.

I wouldn't say that the goal of the media is to air dirty laundry. However, they are a business and as such their corporate goal is not necessarily to be the purveyor of truth, but to make a profit for their investors and shareholders - just like any other business.

Unfortuntely what gets the most attention are tsk-tsk tabloid gossip stories, and as a result that's wht generates the most readers, viewers and listeners - and in turn generates the most ad revenue. So as a result many in the media have taken this route to increase their ratings, and salaries.

However I do believe their is plenty of room for other approaches. When I was a kid there were three TV channels (four if you counted channel 2; six if you counted the two Providence channels that showed the same program that was already on channels 4 and 5.)

Then came along this technological breakthrough called UHF, and with a box on top of your TV and a second set of rabbit ears you could get two more channels - which meant you could see almost all the Bruins and Celtics games!

And TV (and the media) has never been the same since.

Essentially that was the start of splintering into specialized programming, which spawned espn and original cable broadcasts, and now results in hundreds of different television networks. With all this fractionalized programming and niche markets, I do believe there is plenty of room for "real" sports reporting and analysis - that is, what Chris (or Reiss, Gasper, smy, etc.) can offer, what Belichick talked about in his press conference - even if it never approaches the large audience that espn caters to: the marginal fan more interested in gossip, innuendo, and who's dating whom.

As the industry evolves I believe there will be avenues for both markets, and both can be quite profitable. While we will be bombarded with shouting from espn and foxsports, genuine sports news sites will find their niche just like food shows, home shopping shows, and 24 hour sports networks have done on television.

Very well said, JMT.

Found this column about Belichick which is somewhat related to the topic. Interesting to note, for example, topic 'B' (the Tyrone McKenzie contract) which was spun to be a negative on a national site (PFT complaining that it took so long, forcing McKenzie to wait for his signing bonus) - when in fact the contract was done in a player-friendly fashion.

Dr. Evil? Not Here by Bruce Allen of MetroDaily West

The rep of the "evil" and "dour" Bill Belichick is taking a beating lately.

If you've followed the Patriots closely during the tenure of Belichick, you likely realize that most of that reputation comes from national pundits without a clue, or local columnists suffering from an overblown sense of entitlement who are angered that the Patriots coach isn't as forthcoming with information, stories and humor as they would like.

In the last few days, we've seen more evidence that this myth of Belichick as "evil" and "dour" is just that...a myth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down