PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WEEI.com: Pats Tight End Spot Might Not Be All About The Benjamins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know its not the most popular stance on the board but I like watson, He's made his share of bonehead plays but so has every player. I think he could have top 5 year this yea,r as teams will be focusing on the welker/moss tandem as much as possible.

My #2 is Alex Smith because I really think this kid has something to prove and could make it easier to trade watson if KC came calling. He is intelligent from what I've heard and really has athleticism that nearly matches watson's.

I'm liking the idea of sending him packing to Kansas City for a draft pick.

He's the quintessential paper-tiger underachiever. What's the saying? "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane"? Even with Brady, he never exactly shined. What was his best year, 600+ yards? An average of around 40 yards a game? Whoop-de-do. Tom Brady is one of the best QBs in NFL history, and makes pass-catchers look a lot better than they really are... and even with that Watson couldn't turn into a stud. Goodbye, Pizza Paddles. Tight end just seems to be one of those bugaboo positions that Belichick can't get right... Can you imagine what Brady would be doing to the opposing defenses with a Ben Coates? (Or, hell, a Marv Cook. Or how about we get Jermaine Wiggins back? A few seasons ago he had over 700 yards with Minnesota, better than Watson's ever done... 'nuf said, no?)

Watsons serviceable but a double edge sword. Hes athletic enough to get open but doesnt always make the catch.

I mean his numbers declined for a very good reason. Mainly Moss and Welker. Alot more was asked of him when our receiving core was Doug Gabriel and Bug Eyes Caldwell than it is today. That being said I have always like Smith alot and hope to see all these guys in the mix.

Watsons serviceable but a double edge sword. Hes athletic enough to get open but doesnt always make the catch.
Or worse it bounces off him up in the air for an int...........I recall a few of those..

I wont argue jermaine wiggins, because he was the leading receiver the year culpepper almost won MVP and a guy named moss was on the team that year.

But watson did split time his first 3 years with daniel graham, so he's never been the clear cut starter before 2007. That year he had 6 receiving TD's not a big whup but notable considering all the weapons we had that year.

He's more naturally talented then the majority of TE's collecting paychecks in the league today. Im just saying you dont deal away talent like his unless the offer is pretty sweet or you have a stable of capable backups(which we have).

P.S if Devin hester has 6 Td this year he would have doubled his total during the 08 campaign and would be praised in chicago. So if watson has 6 TD and is probably our # 3 or # 4 option most plays how is that a bad thing

The problem no one discussing.

Baker is a blocker who is suppose to be a better blocker than watson but alot slower.He is not graham but a bit better than watson how much better we have to see. When we pull Light we leave watson on a DE last year. I want to see baker take a DE as watson and hold him a few times from blowing the left tackle runs .Jets did not run this.

Alex can`t block and is more of a receiving TE.

So now when you put in alex all the defence need to do is overload or send a blitz at him to force him to block.

With baker you can move coverage from and put a LB as you are very confident that a slower LB can cover him.Last year watson gave fits for LB and the team playing nickle was forced to move a Safety on him helping wes welker matchup alot.

satz

Chris Baker and Alex Smith are both better than Ben Watson. See the above linked thread for related past discussion.

Watson had marked improvement in his blocking last year. It's also likely he's been working hard at pass catching, while rehabbing.

If he doesn't make the team, it's because he gets traded for decent compensation.

Also, Maverick is a good barometer of Pats talent. Just pretend he comes from opposite world. ;)

With his contract up at the end of the year (I think), I'd try and trade him for a pick, but I'm not sure there's going to be a whole lot of interest. He very well could be cut by the end of camp, so other teams would be wise to take a wait and see approach. I'm not a big fan, he's an amazing athlete, and could put it together down the road, but you can get good TE production from guys you pick up cheap as free agents (as the Pats have done year in/year out).

Just pretend he comes from opposite world. ;)

Whatever, the stats were already posted in that other thread but you're obviously too lazy to investigate anything. Watson has been in this league just as long as Baker and Smith, and hasn't proven he's better than either of them, despite playing with a much better QB and also having major opportunity after Graham left.

That thread really proves nothing, all you've shown was that watson did in 'fact' catch more balls than the other two guys. And you counter that with well they didn't have tom brady.

Well I see your inept excuse and raise you.......Watson also had randy moss and wes welker on the same side of the ball and before that he split time with one daniel graham and he still pulled down more balls then alex smith in a 4 year span.

Who is supposedly sooo much better. I like alex Smith but as the other posters pointed out he nor chris baker have any experience in this offense so it's difficult for you to just say they'll fit right in.

.........And if anything having tom brady isnt good for watson's stats as the better QB's can spread it around not just go to the sure guy they like and who makes them look better

Whatever, the stats were already posted in that other thread but you're obviously too lazy to investigate anything. Watson has been in this league just as long as Baker and Smith, and hasn't proven he's better than either of them, despite playing with a much better QB and also having major opportunity after Graham left.

Of course unless you are also playing for a HC who uses TE extensively to augment his OL and seldom sends them out as receivers...you are comparing apples and oranges. Lombardi and his crew were discussing this very issue on NFLN last evening. Once a receiving TE shows he can block his touches begin to diminish. That was Graham's gripe here. There are very few complete TE's in the league at the moment, and most of them are better receivers than blockers and would prefer to be utilized in that manner because your career lasts longer... Probably not gonna happen here what with the other weapons at Bill's disposal...

Over 4 years Watson *barely* has more catches and yards than the other two, despite having a vastly superior QB.

Baker shared time with Keller last year, and Smith shared time with J.Stevens last year, and despite that both had the same if not better numbers than Watson the past two seasons.

Stats or receiver skills aside, Baker is a better blocker than Watson, so Watson isn't going to get those downs. Watson needs to battle with Smith and Thomas as the TE for combo skills or receiving situations.

"Reiss sees Chris Baker locked into a role when New England uses two tight ends, presumably for his blocking skills. Watson and Smith should battle for the other spot, which includes valuable snaps in one tight end sets. Bill Belichick is reportedly "quite excited" about Smith, so Watson could potentially slip to third-string or even off the roster."
Ben Watson

Last edited:
My preference is that a TE in a one tight set be able to block. Watson seems the best of the five for the one tight end sets.

Over 4 years Watson *barely* has more catches and yards than the other two, despite having a vastly superior QB.

Baker shared time with Keller last year, and Smith shared time with J.Stevens last year, and despite that both had the same if not better numbers than Watson the past two seasons.

Stats or receiver skills aside, Baker is a better blocker than Watson, so Watson isn't going to get those downs. Watson needs to battle with Smith and Thomas as the TE for combo skills or receiving situations.

"Reiss sees Chris Baker locked into a role when New England uses two tight ends, presumably for his blocking skills. Watson and Smith should battle for the other spot, which includes valuable snaps in one tight end sets. Bill Belichick is reportedly "quite excited" about Smith, so Watson could potentially slip to third-string or even off the roster."
Ben Watson

Ben Watson

During the last two seasons Watson played on a team with vastly superior wide receiver weapons.

Kyle Brady was a better blocker than any of them, but somehow it didn't translate here...

The last time Reiss predicted a players success/failure based on his interpretation of Belichick's enthusiasm for another player...the guy he predicted to succeed got cut and the other guy started 15 games.

Last edited:
I'd rather Watson be the regular TE than any of the other's. No contest actually.

Great players stand out and make their presence felt. Not-so-great players have a lot of people making excuses for them. Watson is in the latter category. "They have other receiving weapons." "He's asked to block a lot." "He was splitting time." Blah blah blah. Watson can block. That's nice. Too bad he's not an O-lineman, because part of his job description, in addition to blocking, is catching. If Oven Mitts could hang onto the ball, they'd throw it to him more often, end of story. One of the most overrated players of the past few years. (Along with Chad "just wait until he's off the injury list, this guy will be a stud!" Jackson.)

With no picks in 2010 in the 3rd 4th or 5th rounds I would think there WILL be a trade involving the Patriots very soon.

Ben Watson is high up on the list of trade possibilities IMO

The Saints just lost thier TE for the year so they may be willing to do a deal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey