PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WEEI.com: Older and wiser, Banta-Cain returns to New England

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to seem like I'm bad mouthing him, but all the articles seem to indicate he had a great season and a big contract offer he couldn't turn down.

He did get a loony contract offer,and good for him. But his last season ended as a healthy scratch who had to be replaced, even though we didn't have a decent replacement.

If he's willing to stay in shape and become a complete player, best of luck.

Also, George, the Boomer Scott. The Red Sox managed to have him before and after his best years (batting). They then managed to get him back past his prime for Cecil Cooper just as he was blossoming.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I hate to seem like I'm bad mouthing him, but all the articles seem to indicate he had a great season and a big contract offer he couldn't turn down.

He did get a loony contract offer,and good for him. But his last season ended as a healthy scratch who had to be replaced, even though we didn't have a decent replacement.

If he's willing to stay in shape and become a complete player, best of luck.

Also, George, the Boomer Scott. The Red Sox managed to have him before and after his best years (batting). They then managed to get him back past his prime for Cecil Cooper just as he was blossoming.:rolleyes:

He had a good year at the perfect time, and he got a ridiculous offer (the phrase I initially used was "gifted" with a three-year deal) he would have been foolish to turn down. I was interested in how he put it -- “Some of the stuff I know now I wish I would have known three years ago. ... I think I’ve learned a lot in my career thus far, and I’m continuing to learn. But I’m definitely wiser than I used to be when I left here.” He didn't want to pursue it any more, but you definitely got the feeling he learned the hard way that life isn't always all about the benjamins.

And I got a ton of suggestions about guys who started here as pros, left, and then came back. I couldn't think of any Patriots -- any suggestions?

He had a good year at the perfect time, and he got a ridiculous offer (the phrase I initially used was "gifted" with a three-year deal) he would have been foolish to turn down. I was interested in how he put it -- “Some of the stuff I know now I wish I would have known three years ago. ... I think I’ve learned a lot in my career thus far, and I’m continuing to learn. But I’m definitely wiser than I used to be when I left here.” He didn't want to pursue it any more, but you definitely got the feeling he learned the hard way that life isn't always all about the benjamins.

And I got a ton of suggestions about guys who started here as pros, left, and then came back. I couldn't think of any Patriots -- any suggestions?

That's my point, Chris. He had a statistically good year, because he was handed the starters job and therefore had a lot of stats.

Forcing the team to replace you in emergency fashion for the playoffs because you played the run like a matador, kind of negates the "good year" tag for me.

Again, if that works for San Fran and a big contract, good luck and gawd bless.

Also, we sure could use an OLB who could rush, so all the best.

Hank Poteat was like a yo yo. He shows only two years, but was cut and resigned within, I think.

Maybe some of the Poteat fan club will weigh in.:D

Last edited:
Seau and Colvin are obvious. It wasn't long, but they were both inactive/semiretired when our annual "can anybody here play linebacker?" call went out.

Russ Francis is the only guy I can think of off the top of my head.
Flutie was here and returned, but he was drafted by the Bears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back