PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WEEI.com: New TE Alex Smith meets the media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher_Price

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Hey all ... just wrapped up a Q&A with new tight end Alex Smith had with a handful of reporters down here at Gillette Stadium. Really interesting stuff worth checking out -- he talked about Tom Brady, Joey Galloway, Daniel Graham and what it means to wear No. 80 in New England.

It Is What It Is New TE Alex Smith meets the media

As always, give me shout with your take. And if you're not following me on Twitter, check me out at twitter.com/capeleaguer.

Great job Chris

He sounds like a Pats kind of guy and there's definitely the opportunity there for him, Baker and Thomas to emerge and challenge Watson for the #1 TE spot

It's times like these that I am just surprised that as soon as Troy Brown did not come back that they just didn't retire his number on the spot. I mean come on.. no one.. and I mean NO ONE should ever wear Troy Brown's jersey. He has, in a lot of ways, defined this decades Patriots. Maybe I am too much of a Troy Brown homer fan.. but I wish they would of just retired the number in Troy's honor. He has done so much for this organization's persona.

Last edited:
Thanks, Chris, for your usual great job. I know it's likely at least partially the "company line", but it's interesting how virtually every player who comes here mentions that prior to his arrival he only heard glowing things about the organization. I'm not sure I'd expect anything else, but it's interesting, nonetheless.

It's times like these that I am just surprised that as soon as Troy Brown did not come back that they just didn't retire his number on the spot. I mean come on.. no one.. and I mean NO ONE should ever wear Troy Brown's jersey. He has, in a lot of ways, defined this decades Patriots. Maybe I am too much of a Troy Brown homer fan.. but I wish they would of just retired the number in Troy's honor. He has done so much for this organization's persona.

I tend to agree with you, and I'm not someone that thinks numbers should be retired willy-nilly. Of all the Patriots of the winning era....actually of all the Patriots since I've been following the team in 1990, the only two that I think should be retired are No. 12 and No. 80.

Lot of competition at tight end – do you look at this and say ‘What do I have to do to make this team?’
Yeah, that’s kind of my whole attitude coming in, just make sure I work hard and do everything that’s asked of me. That’s why I’m here now – just trying to make sure I get myself in the playbook. Just make myself as available as I can, and hopefully, they can find a position for me here.

Translation: That dude from Wendy's is going to be unemployed.

Translation: That dude from Wendy's is going to be unemployed.

That seems to be the writing on the wall. I can't see a place for him barring a major injury to one of the other three.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes